No announcement yet.

Rotator Cuff Surgery Elk hut in 17 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Rotator cuff surgery" doesn't tell us much. Some have rotator cuff surgery with nothing more than degenerative fraying debridement and some procedures are obviously for multiple ruptures with distal clavicle resection/Mumford procedure etc. Hope it is on the simple side of the spectrum. Good luck.

Edit. Just saw your procedure was 45 minutes. That is a good indicator. :-)
    Last edited by RR 314; 05-20-2022, 07:09 AM.

Comment

I really doubt if you will be 100% in that short of a time. I had mine done one Feb. and was shooting again with lower poundage in May with no issues. It took a couple of more months before I could get back to the 63# I like to shoot. What ever you do PT is your friend.

Comment

I had mine done in March
        They say 6 months for full recovery
        It has only been 2.5 months and I am not near ready but I am making progress

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
          I had mine done in March
          They say 6 months for full recovery
          It has only been 2.5 months and I am not near ready but I am making progress
          thats good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
            I couldn’t but maybe you can. I’ve had three rotator cuff surgeries and I’m ten months since my last one. I’ve never been 100% since my first one. I’m just now starting to pull my recurve. I can’t get to full draw with the first pull but after about five warmups I can make it but can’t hold it very long. I sold my compound because I just couldn’t get over the hump, even at 56 pounds. I’ve got a crossbow now.
            I was going to suggest going to a light weight recurve or longbow for getting back into shape.

Be wary of using something other than your arm to pull the bow, some states do not allow devices that draw the bow for you.
            A crossbow might be an option if legal and if you don't get back to pulling your bow. I have one and would not want to carry it in the mountains though.

Best of luck to you on your recovery.

Comment

You’ll be ready. I’ve never met anyone so mad at elk all the time, so I figure that alone will speed your healing process.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                surgery wasnt that bad only last 45 min. i think i can shoot 60lbs in sept. and im hard headed enogh to make it happen. thanks for all the info. typing left handed sucks
                Good luck, I really hope you can. There is nothing better than the elk woods in September/October!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  I was going to suggest going to a light weight recurve or longbow for getting back into shape.

Be wary of using something other than your arm to pull the bow, some states do not allow devices that draw the bow for you.
                  A crossbow might be an option if legal and if you don't get back to pulling your bow. I have one and would not want to carry it in the mountains though.

Best of luck to you on your recovery.
                  i just ordered archery training bands

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    You’ll be ready. I’ve never met anyone so mad at elk all the time, so I figure that alone will speed your healing process.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    lol I hope your right Curt
                    l

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      Good luck, I really hope you can. There is nothing better than the elk woods in September/October!
                      unit 16a New Mexico, it dont get any better.

Comment

Rehab rehab rehab

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

If the surgery goes well and you are ultra careful the first few weeks and let the initial healing set in, then strictly follow your PT then I would think you could do it. Ii’ve had both shoulders done.

Use the elk hunt as your motivation and push yourself on doing your PT exercises 2-3x/day.

You don’t have to be 100% to draw your bow. It also doesn’t take 70# to kill an elk…

Good luck in your recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            If the surgery goes well and you are ultra careful the first few weeks and let the initial healing set in, then strictly follow your PT then I would think you could do it. Ii’ve had both shoulders done.

Use the elk hunt as your motivation and push yourself on doing your PT exercises 2-3x/day.

You don’t have to be 100% to draw your bow. It also doesn’t take 70# to kill an elk…

Good luck in your recovery.
                            thank you for the positive info

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                              Do you guys think I will be 100% by sept 15th. Any info to help me recover quickly would be greatly appreciated.
                              Nope, I highly doubt it.

I've had both shoulders done due to labral tears and AC decompressions. Even for my minor grade 1 tear on my right shoulder it was 4 months before I was 100% and that didn't even require a sling post surgery. My left shoulder was 9-12 months before I was good to go again. That was with VERY strict adherence to physical therapy and doing all the strengthening they wanted. Granted, people respond differently and ymmv but I seriously doubt it and that's something you don't want to push.

From what I understand the cuff is even tougher on recovery.

Comment

I’ve got to say I would not be hopeful. The thing with it is you don’t want to overdo it while it’s healing, and it’s a slow heal, or at least mine was. And I was on it with the PT. Also I was in insane shape and healed so fast at that point, and it still took a while. And now I need it again. But I refuse. Because it hurts. And I’m older so it will be even slower to heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X