TBOT Classes: Selfbow vs. Composite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the guidelines, both are all wood. No fiberglass. Both must be shot with wood arrows.

So is the only difference that Selfbow is 1-piece and Composite can be a takedown?

Also, can a Composite bow have non-wood tips such as phenolic or antler so FF string could be used?

You’ve got it all wrong!!

A selfbow is one piece of wood carved into a bow. A selfbow can have a lamination in the handle, but that’s it. A selfbow can have a backing such as snake skin or sinew, but that’s it.

A composite bow is a laminated bow with no fiberglass. An example would be an ipe bow with a bamboo lamination, or a bow with osage, ipe, and bamboo laminations.

Either can have wood or phenolic tips.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 05-08-2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Composite have to be 1-piece?

Comment

I’ve never seen a take down composite but guess you could

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
          I’ve never seen a take down composite but guess you could

I used to have a 2pc selfbow, but that was Arvin being Arvin!!! [emoji38]

Bisch

Comment

Selfbow: one piece of osage (could be hickory or any other kind of wood though) whittled down into a bow.

Composite: bow made from laminations of different woods; in this case osage, ipe, and bamboo.

Bisch

Comment

A little history lesson for you:

Selfbow and composite used to all be one class. Back years ago it was just selfbow or primitive class at any shoot you went to. Then some smart Indians started building laminated bows out of all wood with no fiberglass. When these laminated bows started showing up at tournaments and signing up in the selfbow class, the “real” selfbow guys got their panties in a wad claiming it was an unfair advantage (I mean panties in a wad to the point of near fist fights). After the arguing happened more than a few times, the primitive shooters were broken into the separate classes of Selfbow and Composite.

To me, all this did was take a very small class and break it into 2 even smaller classes, that oftentimes, don’t have enough participants in either to award buckles. I’ve always been of the opinion that it’s the monkey pulling the string and not the equipment that makes the difference. That’s why Rusty can go to just about any shoot out there and out shoot 90% of the people there with his selfbow!!!!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 05-08-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                According to the guidelines, both are all wood. No fiberglass. Both must be shot with wood arrows.

So is the only difference that Selfbow is 1-piece and Composite can be a takedown?

Also, can a Composite bow have non-wood tips such as phenolic or antler so FF string could be used?
                Sounds like your looking to get into it Steve.

Thanks for the breakdown Bisch, nice bows and Kudu! I had similar questions regarding composite class. Thanks for being the sacrificial lamb here Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  A little history lesson for you:

Selfbow and composite used to all be one class. Back years ago it was just selfbow or primitive class at any shoot you went to. Then some smart Indians started building laminated bows out of all wood with no fiberglass. When these laminated bows started showing up at tournaments and signing up in the selfbow class, the “real” selfbow guys got their panties in a wad claiming it was an unfair advantage (I mean panties in a wad to the point of near fist fights). After the arguing happened more than a few times, the primitive shooters were broken into the separate classes of Selfbow and Composite.

To me, all this did was take a very small class and break it into 2 even smaller classes, that oftentimes, don’t have enough participants in either to award buckles. I’ve always been of the opinion that it’s the monkey pulling the string and not the equipment that makes the difference. That’s why Rusty can go to just about any shoot out there and out shoot 90% of the people there with his selfbow!!!!!

Bisch

Should probably break the two groups up into sub-groups of "sinew strings" and "Dacron strings". Wouldn't want a bunch of old men stroking out over a that!

I agree that it's probably 90% the monkey. But technology can give you an edge. Rusty is just plain good.
                  Last edited by SJP51; 05-08-2022, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I have D97 on my selfbow, and Rampage on my composite bow!!!! [emoji38]

The technology can give a few folks an edge, but those guys are gonna beat everyone else anyway. Most guys buy the technology trying to get an edge that their lack of good form won’t allow!

Bisch

Comment

So if I could get JJ to make me a set of limbs (hickory and bamboo) for my wood riser it would be a Composite bow. Bet that would start an argument.

Comment

So if I could get JJ to make me a set of limbs (hickory and bamboo) for my wood riser it would be a Composite bow. Bet that would start an argument.

No! 3pc bows aren’t allowed in primitive classes. The bolts and stuff make it illegal.

Try again!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          No! 3pc bows aren’t allowed in primitive classes. The bolts and stuff make it illegal.

Try again!

Bisch

I would think 1-piece is what is should be. But here is what the TBOT Guidelines say. It never mentions a Composite has to be 1-piece:
                          - Selfbow (a bow composed of one piece of wood from end to end allowing
                          decorative backing of animal skin or sinew) – wood arrows only

- Composite (all wood with no fiberglass) – wood arrows only

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
                            Sounds like your looking to get into it Steve.

Thanks for the breakdown Bisch, nice bows and Kudu! I had similar questions regarding composite class. Thanks for being the sacrificial lamb here Steve!
                            Don't know if I am getting into it or not. I'd have to learn both how to mess with a "primitive bow" and wood arrows. Might be my first retirement project.

Comment

Don't know if I am getting into it or not. I'd have to learn both how to mess with a "primitive bow" and wood arrows. Might be my first retirement project.
                              Plus, I'm not really very good with what I've got already. Maybe I should just practice more. But until I get a new right eye I'm not sure i'll get much better!

Comment

Working...
                              X