No announcement yet.

Official Lawn Care Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got a great deal on 3" live oaks about 25 years ago so I planted a bunch in my front yard along with bermuda grass. Now the live oaks are too thick and the bermuda doesn't like all that shade so I'm having to replace it with St. Augustine sod. 10 pallets in last fall and probably another 10 this spring. Also trimming up the live oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
      That should work! If you know for sure what type of grass you have, you could lay sod over the bare dirt. If not, you could pull plugs from existing grass and plant in the bare spots to help it start growing in.
      Great thanks for the advice! I have no idea what type the grass is, what is the best procedure for "pulling plugs from existing grass"?

Comment

Ahhh lawn work goes hand in hand with drinking cold beer and I enjoy both.

Comment

Any tips on getting rid of dallis grass in Bermuda?! Lol. I did the pre-emergent/feed a couple weeks ago. And once in the fall.

Comment

I going mow the yard and then be putting compost down this weekend. I like to have a nice yard with minimal weeds and other stuff growing. Been at my house for about 16 years now and planted 12 pallets of St. Augustine. Going to be a hard job tomorrow putting out 4 yards of compost but will get it down and drink a cold one afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Any tips on getting rid of dallis grass in Bermuda?! Lol. I did the pre-emergent/feed a couple weeks ago. And once in the fall.
              Best way I have found it just to hit it with Roundup. You can't pull it up and it will just continue to grow and spread if you don't do anything. Just kill it and let the bermuda fill back in.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                Best way I have found it just to hit it with Roundup. You can't pull it up and it will just continue to grow and spread if you don't do anything. Just kill it and let the bermuda fill back in.
                Msma or (target 6)+ Sencor will drop the hammer on it

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  We have a new variety on the market called Provista, it’s a Roundup ready st. Augustine grass that’s unbelievably dark green in color and tuff as nails. Also you only need to mow it once a month. I’ve got 9 acres as of now but not for sale as of yet because I need it for planting stock for another 100 acres. Should have quite a bit for sale in 2023

How is it in high pH soil? Is it pythium proof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]1085130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1085131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1085132[/ATTACH]

Comment

Got the trees in the browned on Monday. Need foot to heal so I can start on the grass again. Trying to beat the heat this year. Should be fertilizing any day now.

attach]1085130[/attach]

[ATTACH]1085131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1085132[/ATTACH]

Comment

We planted 4 live oaks 3 Jane Magnolia 1 regular

Comment

[ATTACH]1085133[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                            How is it in high pH soil? Is it pythium proof?

The PH is 7.8 where I’ve got my planting stock and it’s doing well, no fungus to speak of, did not treat it at all last fall, all my other St Augustine grass got treated 2-3 times during the fall. Sorry for the late response

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              The PH is 7.8 where I’ve got my planting stock and it’s doing well, no fungus to speak of, did not treat it at all last fall, all my other St Augustine grass got treated 2-3 times during the fall. Sorry for the late response

No problem. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Good info here. Going to put out some haymaker and 24d this weekend. Question, I have lots of shade in my front yard. Not enlightening sun for my Bermuda or my zoysia. What’s a good grass to plant?

Comment

Working...
                                X