Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question

First off,I wouldn’t make a wart on an electrician but t.

My dryer quit drying, I am trying to determine if a fuse, high limit switch, or heater elements went bad...

On this tester, what setting do I use?
    It doesn’t have an audible setting ( I don’t think )

Trying to check continuity.

Any of the ohm settings should work. One lead on each side of what you are checking. Reading should change to zero or something really close to it if the line is good. It wont flinch if it is open.

Comment

One click to the right on the 500. Assuming your dryer is 240V. If it's a gas dryer and uses 120 then go two clicks to the 200. That's if you are checking for voltage. If you're checking for continuity then use the setting that is outlined in white by itself next to the 200 at the bottom.
      Last edited by CabezaBlanca; 09-15-2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Id set it to 20k ohm and huntntx is right. You should read 0.0 if that circuit is closed. Check your hi limits and tstats also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

On most meters the diode check setting will give u an audible tone if you have continuity (setting to the right of 200 ohm setting), otherwise use the 200 ohm setting for continuity. 20K ohm setting is what u use looking for a resistive connection (leakage)

Comment

I should have clarified.

Electric dryer, will operate fine, just no heat in the tub.

This kenmore is approximately 15–20 years old.

Thank you for the guidance.

Comment

If you're not getting heat, heating element would be first thing I'd check. Also, check your breakers. Mine will run and not heat with one of the poles tripped. But will still cycle without heat.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

May want to take apart the vent on the back and clean out all of the trash/lent. I had an old dryer that I took apart because it was not drying properly. Once I cleaned the entire vent area out (it was pretty clogged up) my dryer ran like a champ.

Just another option if your heating element seems to be working fine.

Comment

Mike wins... not sure what, but I will come up with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Replace both high and low switches they are cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      I should have clarified.

Electric dryer, will operate fine, just no heat in the tub.

This kenmore is approximately 15–20 years old.

Thank you for the guidance.
                      15- 20 years!!! Replace it brother.

Comment

Originally posted by LonestarGent View Post
                        Id set it to 20k ohm and huntntx is right. You should read 0.0 if that circuit is closed. Check your hi limits and tstats also.

If it reads 0.0 that would mean no resistance. There should be some resistance if the heating coils are good.

Comment

got a tig welder?

Comment

I had a dryer like that, just push the broken heat coils together and they will come back on. Had to do that for a few months to get by until I got a new dryer. They would burn in half some place else, and I would do it again. Yes, I know it's not the best idea, but it worked and I got to dry my clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              If it reads 0.0 that would mean no resistance. There should be some resistance if the heating coils are good.

My bad. For some reason I was thinking of voltage. You're right. Ignore everything I said op

Comment

Working...
                              X