Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting Exotics on high fenced game ranches. Is it really hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Exotics on high fenced game ranches. Is it really hunting?

I'm curious as to what your opinion really is about hunting exotics here in Texas. Specifically the ones behind 200-600 acre, high fenced operations that buy the animals, and turn them out to be shot. I've been to, and hunted on several day leases/weekend game ranches/ etc.. I enjoy doing it, and also the time spent with friends, family, and fellow hunters. That being said, when I have the guide drop me off at a blind with a feeder out front and see 10-20 different animals as soon as it goes off, am I really hunting? There are some animals that in my mind I'm fine with hunting like this. I've killed Blackbuck, Fallow, and Rams before. I plan on getting an Axis buck the same way. For me personally, some other animals, native to Africa for example, I can't see killing at a day ranch here in Texas. Kudu, Zebra, Gemsbok, are just a few. It just doesn't seem like an accomplishment. I know I'm rambling. I also know there are several sponsors on here that make a living selling these hunts. I've been to several of these places, and will continue to do so. I've enjoyed all my hunting trips to these places, but there's a little part of me that knows it's not truly hunting. Just my opinion of course. What are your thoughts?

My step dad took me to one of those places for an "Auodad" when I was a young teenager, neither of us knew anything about HF/LF BS and had a good enough time for the morning we were there��. He got a big hog and I got the biggest "Auodad" they had on the place, the rub came when we walked up to my dead "Auodad" and the other 20 or so that were with him stood there about 15y from us and never ran off. We also came across another big ram of some type that was tied up in the middle of the woods.

It was an interesting experience.

Comment

The only person you have to please when hunting is yourself.Do it however you want.

DJ

Comment

Boy, you had to rattle the cage early this morning.

Comment

Go back to sleep AC....too early to be rambling

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
            Go back to sleep AC....too early to be rambling
            Lol

Comment

Im in on this thread lol

Comment

I've never done it so I can't say for sure, but that type of hunting sounds really boring to me, guess I enjoy the chase too much. I will say though, I've got no problem with people doing it.

Comment

I think if you're outside enjoying God's creation and using the meat of then animal you harvest then its hunting to me. Some hunts are MUCH easier than others though.

Comment

I don't think it's for me but to each his own.

Comment

There are so many different places ran by so many different people that it is hard to lump them all together.

I owned a small heavily wooded place up until a couple of years ago.
                      If someone came wanting just to shoot anything that showed up, it was a silly easy hunt.
                      If they were after one particular animal things got tough.

We had a really good Axis one year. I had a local doctor that hunted him a dozen times and several groups that came multipe times hoping to get him in bow range with no success.
                      I finally killed him myself one afternoon while setting on a trail hunting hogs.

This happened several times throughout the years with other animals.

The easiest hunting I have ever done was on a deer lease in Mason. 20 deer at every feeder, every time they went off. Folks would shoot at deer and have them come right back to the feeder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	#7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	24589050

Comment

In my opinion no it's not but if it makes someone else happy go for it. There are those that think setting at a deer feeder is not really hunting and I kind of agree but I still do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          There are so many different places ran by so many different people that it is hard to lump them all together.

I owned a small heavily wooded place up until a couple of years ago.
                          If someone came wanting just to shoot anything that showed up, it was a silly easy hunt.
                          If they were after one particular animal things got tough.

We had a really good Axis one year. I had a local doctor that hunted him a dozen times and several groups that came multipe times hoping to get him in bow range with no success.
                          I finally killed him myself one afternoon while setting on a trail hunting hogs.

This happened several times throughout the years with other animals.

The easiest hunting I have ever done was on a deer lease in Mason. 20 deer at every feeder, every time they went off. Folks would shoot at deer and have them come right back to the feeder.

[ATTACH]969364[/ATTACH]
                          I believe this is the best answer.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                            The only person you have to please when hunting is yourself.Do it however you want.

DJ
                            Bingo

Comment

I've hunted many high and low fence ranches and I feel it all depends on the place. I've hunted low fence places and It was kind of like grocery shopping. I've also hunted high fence operations that were the toughest hunts I'd been on because the animals were so pressured. But if it's one of those places that the animals will stand there and eat out of your hand.... yeah not so much a "hunt" in my mind

Comment

Working...
                              X