X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a shame^

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Great news Gene....hope it holds for yall!
      Fingers crossed, man.

Warden told us to burn them on site if we can do it safely. Otherwise, don't move them an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Definitely not what you want to see when you go to the lease. This is one of many just south of I-10 in Sonora

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        What a kick in the nuts! Anthrax sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          "Anthrax bacteria reside in the soil in many regions of Texas, but epizootics are more frequent in the counties mentioned above. During the warm summer months, when there are rapid changes in climatic conditions (alternating periods of rain and drought), spores of the bacterium can be found at the soil surface and on low-level vegetation where they are readily available for ingestion by livestock/wildlife. The incubation period is between 1 and 10 days. After the onset of clinical signs, livestock/wildlife die very rapidly, in as little as 3-4 hours. Clinical signs include depression, lethargy, and staggering; animals may try to get to water. Live animals often are not found. The first indication of an outbreak on an individual property typically is when carcasses are located. Often, the carcass will appear to be from an otherwise healthy-looking animal (no signs of prolonged illness)."
          Yep. Which is why your odds are better when you don't have livestock. Did a ton of research back when we were shopping for a place. Talked extensively with biologists, veterinarians, and landowners. Those who ran livestock experience a much higher death toll than those who didn't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Definitely not what you want to see when you go to the lease. This is one of many just south of I-10 in Sonora

Sucks, just sickening. We’ve lost some really good ones also

Comment

Any reports in Edwards Co? We haven't seen any signs near Rocksprings.

Also, when is it supposed to end? When the rains come in September/October?

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                Any reports in Edwards Co? We haven't seen any signs near Rocksprings.

Also, when is it supposed to end? When the rains come in September/October?
                Cooler weather will shut it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Creedmore View Post
                  Fingers crossed, man.

Warden told us to burn them on site if we can do it safely. Otherwise, don't move them an inch.

Stupid question from an suburban dweller- I’m guessing you douse them in gas to get them lit off?

Comment

So if it is contagious through the eating of meat....then I assume anything that eats the infected dead deer, exotic..etc...will also die? From coyotes to bobcats to buzzards and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      Stupid question from an suburban dweller- I’m guessing you douse them in gas to get them lit off?
                      Diesel. Then a little bit of gasoline to get it going.

Val Verde is currently NOT in a burn ban which is unheard of. Gotta be super careful, though. Can't leave unattended and be sure you have water cans, or water and pump at the ready.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                        So if it is contagious through the eating of meat....then I assume anything that eats the infected dead deer, exotic..etc...will also die? From coyotes to bobcats to buzzards and so on.
                        I believe that’s slightly true for yotes and bobcats but pretty uncommon as they are not nearly as susceptible as deer and what not. I would have to double check
                        Buzzards are “immune” if I’m not mistaken to the levels that occur in nature but can transmit it.

Edit: It doesn't transmit at the level you are thinking though.
                        Last edited by 150class; 07-30-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I have read buzzards don't eat anthrax dead. Pigs are the biggest concern. They can get anthrax but are less likely to get it. But they will scavenge the carcass and spread the spores everywhere. As long as the carcass is not opened up, the only spores it puts in the environment are from the blood leaking out of both ends. The natural decomposition of the body raises pH and kills the bacteria within. It is oxygen that turns the bacteria in the body into spores that persist in the environment. So if the body not opened up but is allowed to decompose undisturbed, it does not deposit a lot of spores.

Burning is recommended because scavengers (pigs) are likely come by and open the body.

Comment

Buzzards peck their eyes out, other than that they don't touch them. Or that is what we have seen so far.

Comment

we would use a pear burner and burn the grass around the deer. Then douse with diesel and let it burn. Back around 2001 there was a bad outbreak on our lease. The hill side looked like it had chickenpox with all the burn spots.
                              we lost almost 50% of our deer.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                                we would use a pear burner and burn the grass around the deer. Then douse with diesel and let it burn. Back around 2001 there was a bad outbreak on our lease. The hill side looked like it had chickenpox with all the burn spots.
                                we lost almost 50% of our deer.
                                With as dry and as hot as it is, I would be worried about burning the whole place down.

Comment

Working...
                                X