First attempt Summer Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt Summer Sausage

I'll wait to post the recipe until they're finished ...if they turn out good.

8 pounds of Venison to 5 pounds of pork shoulder all ground up seasoned and currently on the smoker.

the twist...

After they are done on the smoker I'm going to vac bag and finish sous vide to 150 degrees then an ice batch and fridge over night. Tomorrow we'll see how they did.

interested in results!

Comment

Well...

I screwed up. I didn't keep good track of the temperature in the Kamado and it got up to around 200 and the sausage internal got all the way up to 179 before I caught it.

Instead of finishing in the souse vide I went straight to an ice bath and then moved them to the fridge.

I'll probably cut one open tonight to see how it looks.

Any summer sausage experts here who can tell me what to expect?
      Last edited by Gunnyart; 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Out of curiousity, why the sous vide?

Just smoke to temp, ice bath, and store.
        Seems like you are adding an extra step?

Also, I always do summer sausage in winter to avoid what you just went through. It's hard to smoke at low temp when its 100 outside(and humid).

I would expect your sausage to be edible, but prolly a hair dry. Let us know how it turns out

Comment

I opened the one tube that had shrunk the worst and it actually wasn't too dry. Texture seemed good as well.

The reason I intended to souse vide was accurate temp control. I was only going to cold smoke for flavor and sous vide to safe temp to avoid drying it out.

I think you are probably correct about it being unnecessary.

Comment

Turned out better than I thought after my screw up.
            I smoked with mesquite and it is a little overpowering and the recipe called for red wine which isn't exactly the taste I was looking for.
            I'll use a different recipe next time.

Comment

Texture looks good. Also, mesquite typically burns a little hotter so may not be the best option for 'cold' smoking. All in all, looks like you have some good snacks for a while!

I only do cheese/and some form of pepper(either jap or chipotle) these days. Dang good stuff.

Comment

Heck that doin't look bad,I have seen a lot worse from people who claimed they knew what they were doing!

Comment

I don’t have a traditional stick burner type smoker anymore so I tried to do it in the Kamado which has s fine line between lowest possible temp and not enough air flow to stay lit. Lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingarcher View Post
                    Heck that doin't look bad,I have seen a lot worse from people who claimed they knew what they were doing!
                    classic

Comment

Actually tastes pretty good. Brought some for snacking at the TTHA show.

Comment

Mmm

Comment

Working...
                        X