South Texas Hunters Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
    Tons of dove, if you have water they are there. If not, they are at your feeders.
    Good to hear.

How’s the quail this year. We had a bad year for quail last year hardly any.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
      How's the fawn crop looking for you guys in Deep South Texas. I got to the lease yesterday morning early. Had a few extra bags of corn after filling feeders ,so decided to feed a long pipe line with another long sendero intersection "4way". Had my spotting scope so I was set to glass long range. Mostly just trying to see if I could see some different bucks since the pens have been getting really quiet for buck activity.

Well I did see a couple of nice bucks but got to notice how the does we're all thinned out and not one of them had any fawns. No swollen tits or anything. These things were barrel wide last month. The white wings and morning doves have taken over all the pens. Literally hundreds of birds sworming the pens to where the deer spook out of them. Ended up seeing 4 bucks two bucks were mature bucks, a 9 and 10 point and two younger 8s. 13 doe and a big group of hogs crossed but didn't stop. Was really puzzled over that since there was corn spread over 500 yards in four directions. They just trotted right over the top of it.
      Guess I should’ve read this a little closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckfu View Post
        Good to hear.

Quail population is up on our place. You can't ride around without seeing birds every few hundred yards. Plenty of doves too.

Comment

Quail population has been good on our place as well. It's my first year on the place so hard to tell how it compares to prior years. Some of the older lease members have commented that it's normal to have lots of quail this time of year and none come quail season lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckfu View Post
            Good to hear.

Blue quail are everywhere. Haven't seen a lot of Bob Whites but their around. They were sounding off pretty good early.

Comment

Needed it...... bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                Needed it...... bad

Nice. Galvan got some last night. Farmlogs said 3/4, but one of the hunters was there and said it was more than that

Comment

Needed it...... bad

That almost equals my entire rainfall for the YEAR! I’m still sitting at under 4” since Jan 1!

Comment

I'm hearing we got about a 1/2" last night near Mirando. I'll take it, and pray for a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                      Nice. Galvan got some last night. Farmlogs said 3/4, but one of the hunters was there and said it was more than that

Farmlogs only had us at .54” so it certainly isn’t overly accurate

Comment

Needed it...... bad

Nice. Hope that same rain went a few miles south of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                          I'm hearing we got about a 1/2" last night near Mirando. I'll take it, and pray for a little more.

We only got enough to settle the dust. I was on the north end of my place when it was raining. Looked like it all went around us to the south and east.

Comment

Farmlogs only had us at .54” so it certainly isn’t overly accurate

Gotcha. Need some up here in NB

Comment

Just came from the lease in Duval county. Not much there either. Deer are sucking up the water that we put out.
                              We put out a small kids pool of water at camp for the dogs to cool off in, and when we returned to camp, a 7-8ft indigo was stretched over the edge getting a drink. It sure was a sight to see for sure.

Comment

We had just over a half inch since Friday, and we're getting a good shower now in Thompsonville.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X