West Bay Navigation Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Bay Navigation Trip

Looking for an experienced guide that will provide a Navigation Trip in West Bay. I've talked to a couple and the prices are pretty dang high, especially for using my boat and my fuel. Any suggestions?

I spoke to one who told me 300 and will put tracks for me to fish. What prices were you told?

Comment

You might try Shawn...Galveston Fish Commander.

Galveston fishing trips for Speckled Trout, Redfish, Cobia and Flounder. Specialty trips available for Tarpon and Shark.

Comment

Which West Bay?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
          I spoke to one who told me 300 and will put tracks for me to fish. What prices were you told?
          $500, same rate as a half day fishing. I'd probably pay $300 for the trip assuming the navigation information was thorough.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Which West Bay?
          Galveston

Comment

I sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              $500, same rate as a half day fishing. I'd probably pay $300 for the trip assuming the navigation information was thorough.

Galveston
              If you think about it that is fair because why would he waste half a day for $300 showing you routes when he can make $500 in the same time?

It is definitely a baby you need to know where you're going at especially on the west side towards San Luis pass

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                If you think about it that is fair because why would he waste half a day for $300 showing you routes when he can make $500 in the same time?

It is definitely a baby you need to know where you're going at especially on the west side towards San Luis pass

Mainly because it’s the same price as a normal fishing trip where he supplies his boat, his fuel, etc. Where in this case I would be providing the boat, fuel, etc. it just makes his time worth more per hr and all he is doing is showing me where to drive. If he gets $500 for it then that’s great, I don’t want to spend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

]
                  Mainly because it’s the same price as a normal fishing trip where he supplies his boat, his fuel, etc. Where in this case I would be providing the boat, fuel, etc. it just makes his time worth more per hr and all he is doing is showing me where to drive. If he gets $500 for it then that’s great, I don’t want to spend it.

You’re paying for his knowledge, not his boat and gas. He’s giving 1 more boat access to places he fishes. It kind of irritated me when guides started offering this around POCO. Many back lakes I used to never see another boat, not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                    ]

You’re paying for his knowledge, not his boat and gas. He’s giving 1 more boat access to places he fishes. It kind of irritated me when guides started offering this around POCO. Many back lakes I used to never see another boat, not anymore.
                    So you're saying that if I booked a fishing trip that his fee would not be including the use of his boat and gas? I don't believe that one bit.

You know the point of the post was looking for suggestions on someone that would offer this type of trip. If this is the average costs for boat captains to do it then ok, it is what it is and I will give it more thought. However, if this guy is significantly more money than others, then why would I spend the extra money.
                    Last edited by canny; 05-14-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

It’s a days wage to him, I think you’re too focused on the use of your boat. If he could book that same day for $500 why would be book same day for $300? His expenses aren’t $200/day.

Comment

So you're saying that if I booked a fishing trip that his fee would not be including the use of his boat and gas? I don't believe that one bit.

You know the point of the post was looking for suggestions on someone that would offer this type of trip. If this is the average costs for boat captains to do it then ok, it is what it is and I will give it more thought. However, if this guy is significantly more money than others, then why would I spend the extra money.
                        No, not what I’m saying at all. Your not paying for his gas and boat, you’re paying for his experience and knowledge. You’re paying him to set tracks on your gps. Before a gps we payed for it lower units and hours of pushing a boat, that boat pushing was probably the best of experiences. You learn every small depression in a back lake. I understand your looking for someone cheaper, but you said you talked to a couple and the prices were pretty dang high, it sounds like that is the going rate. While it may seem expensive just to run your boat for several hours, you’re not paying him just for his to time.

Comment

I understand what you're trying to convey, but as a business perspective from a guides viewpoint, it doesn't make financial sense. He's making $500 PLUS Tips and he's not having to be at the mercy of someone else's time or experience level. He doesn't know what condition your boat is in. There's a lot of variables working against it, compared to him having control of his time. I guarantee you one thing, $500 is cheap for knowledge, especially when you get half a mile onto a mud flat and get stuck on a outgoing tide.

Comment

If you're that worried about the price, why not just book him and go in his boat?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                              If you're that worried about the price, why not just book him and go in his boat?

Because then the tracks wouldn’t be in his GPS, which is, umm, valuable....

Comment

Working...
                              X