laser bore sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laser bore sight

Got one of the cartridge style laser bore sighters last week and "sighted in" two ARs from my garage. I had waited til nearly sundown and used my range finder to pick out a spot down the street as close as I could get to 100 yards. Had the upper in a vice and just looked through the scope and turn windage and elevation until the crosshairs sat right on the lazer dot.

Got out to the ranch this weekend and because I didn't trust that process, we set up a 100 yard sight-in target. 4x4 plywood with several targets taped on. Neither rifle was even on the board from 100 yards. I ended up having to walk-back sight them starting from 25. In the end both guns were grouping well so I know I was not having any mount issues. One gun is suppressed but the other is just a standard 5.56 carbine length barrel. I can understand POI being different on the suppressed gun but on the other one I'm really baffled.

How could that laser be so far off?

Its assuming the barrell, chamber, laser pointer housing and emitter are all aligned.

Ive run into the same instances. Ive gotten to where I just eyeball bore and scope on tripod at 40-50 yards. Then shoot at that range. Im not often very far.

Comment

If you are talking about one of those that looks like a bullet, I tried one of those and it would never get me close, so I threw it away.

I bought one of those Site Lite laser bore sighting kit. BEST $100 I have spent. It has saved me more than that in ammo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
        If you are talking about one of those that looks like a bullet, I tried one of those and it would never get me close, so I threw it away.

I bought one of those Site Lite laser bore sighting kit. BEST $100 I have spent. It has saved me more than that in ammo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Yep, it was $9 so not even worth trying to return. I used to have a bushnell one that you stuck down the end of the barrel and it would do multiple calibers. That one was always pretty close. Gonna try to find one like that after this mess.

Comment

Wasted my money on a laser bore sighter once. Never again. Best method I’ve come across that I do with all my rifles, set gun on bags center a target like you would your pin through your peep and adjust scope accordingly. With an AR just disassemble and do the same as you would a bolt gun.

I’ve heard the site lite is the real deal but I just assume keep my 100$ and keep doing the tried and true free method.

Comment

With an AR I pop rear take down pin and pull out BCG and set upper on a bag and bore sight down barrel at 25, 1-2 shots to get real close to center then to 100. Can be sighted in in less than 5 with a quality scope and rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like my Hyskore rest. Cinch it in. Fire your group. Put orange dot sticker on point of impact and then dial scope to the orange dot. Done. I usually start at 25 yds to make sure Im on paper then to 50 then to 100. 5 rounds and Im perfectly sighted in.

Comment

Never been a fan of the cartridge type ones. I have always had the same luck you did with them. I have a Wheeler laser that attaches to the barrel with a magnet, and I have had very good luck with it though.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                  Never been a fan of the cartridge type ones. I have always had the same luck you did with them. I have a Wheeler laser that attaches to the barrel with a magnet, and I have had very good luck with it though.
                  I've got the Wheeler too and it works great!

Comment

Look through the bore and adjust to it- easy and never fails!

Comment

I sight in regularly with 2 shots .. step 1 ipsc full size target 100 yard single orange 1" pasty center of target not counting the head , step 2 , pull bolt out of the gun , rest on sand bags and line up dot to center of bore and center of chamber .by eye ball ... step 3 adjust scope to pasty. load one round ... shoot ... it should hit paper if you have a decent eyesight. if you don't repeat at 50 , or pick a different hobby ...

now for the good part .. once you shot 1 round ... take a ruler and a pen and go measure horizontal and vertical impact in relationship to pasty ...

calculate your clicks based on measurement ... adjust scope , fire verification shot... if your scope tracks correctly you should be pretty darn close to sighted in..

alternatively if you have a mil mil scope , it's even easier if you know how to read your reticle ...

this only work with decent optic that track correctly however ...

Comment

I have .223 & 300 Win Mag laser bore sights. I will use them for the first time tomorrow - I'll report back with how useful they are...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                          I sight in regularly with 2 shots .. step 1 ipsc full size target 100 yard single orange 1" pasty center of target not counting the head , step 2 , pull bolt out of the gun , rest on sand bags and line up dot to center of bore and center of chamber .by eye ball ... step 3 adjust scope to pasty. load one round ... shoot ... it should hit paper if you have a decent eyesight. if you don't repeat at 50 , or pick a different hobby ...

now for the good part .. once you shot 1 round ... take a ruler and a pen and go measure horizontal and vertical impact in relationship to pasty ...

calculate your clicks based on measurement ... adjust scope , fire verification shot... if your scope tracks correctly you should be pretty darn close to sighted in..

alternatively if you have a mil mil scope , it's even easier if you know how to read your reticle ...

this only work with decent optic that track correctly however ...
                          Thanks for this. This method could prove very valuable in an emergency field situation as well. Will throw some high vis stickers in my field kit. Never know.

Comment

Best to put one in a gun, same caliber already sighted in and check the lazer. You can adjust these also.

Comment

curious once you get sighted in for you to put the laser back in and see where it is pointing.

Comment

Working...
                              X