Dad began his military service here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad began his military service here

At the McAlester National Guard Armory. Built in 1935 and 1936 by the WPA during tough times. Dad left us a few years ago and never mentioned the building. His brother said that during war times they kept 6x6 trucks, jeeps, and even a small number of tanks. But that was a long time ago. If you view the property from the east side you can see that there used to be more buildings there. I’m just glad that the main building is still standing.
    Last edited by Katsaregood; 06-09-2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

More

Comment

Awesome piece of history
        Thank you for sharing

Comment

Cool History. There were some crazy old structures still standing at Ft Sill when I was in Artillery School. That rock aint going nowhere unless someone tears it down.

Comment

Built to last and great place to hunt monster deer!!!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

That's a cool story and legacy. Love me some cool old buildings. If only they could speak.

Comment

I've been there a few times. Neat buildings for sure.

Comment

Very cool. Great example of 1930s Depression era, WPA architecture which blended neoclassic elements with a predominantly Art Deco style. What made most WPA projects unique from other Art Deco buildings of the period was the use of rustic materials to interpret this style.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      Very cool. Great example of 1930s Depression era, WPA architecture which blended neoclassic elements with a predominantly Art Deco style. What made most WPA projects unique from other Art Deco buildings of the period was the use of rustic materials to interpret this style.
                      Dunno if I’m correct on the interpretation of certain architecture design features, but I’m thinking that perhaps the three vertical stripes are a redundancy for the thunderbirds. Dad was in the 45th division.

Comment

That would be very interesting if that were the case!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                          Built to last and great place to hunt monster deer!!!
                          Yes sir! Hoping to get after some of that Oklahoma venison that my dad and others in the family long enjoyed. For now the plan is to try and catch some of the large size crappie he used to catch as a kid with his dad. We had planned on coming up together to fish that same lake known for big crappie but he ended up with heart failure and dementia. So I’m trying to make some good memories fishing & hunting with my last living uncle (dad’s youngest and only surviving brother. Dad passed a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
                            Yes sir! Hoping to get after some of that Oklahoma venison that my dad and others in the family long enjoyed. For now the plan is to try and catch some of the large size crappie he used to catch as a kid with his dad. We had planned on coming up together to fish that same lake known for big crappie but he ended up with heart failure and dementia. So I’m trying to make some good memories fishing & hunting with my last living uncle (dad’s youngest and only surviving brother. Dad passed a few years ago.
                            Great ideas sir.....share that time as you will learn alot about your family.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Outstanding pics of this important building. You picked a beautiful blue sky sunny day to show us the great work our WPA stonemasons completed in 1936.

Good luck on that fishing trip with your uncle!

Comment

Working...
                              X