Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Keith
Administrator

Default Tundra, F-150, GM or Ram?

I am in the market for a new pickup, and will consider every manufacture. I am wanting a Crew Cab, 4X4 and I keep my vehicles for at least 10 years. I drove the 2021 Tundra and loved it. Then I drove a couple of F-150's last night. The first one had a 3.5 EcoBoost and the other had a 5.0 V8. I was really impressed with the 5.0, although I have never been a fan of Ford trucks. The 5.0 is rated at 22 mpg hwy, where the Tundra is rated at 17. I plan to check out a Chevy or GMC with the 3.0 diesel and I guess I should go drive a Ram. I hate to go with the Tundra and be stuck getting 12-15 mpg for the next 10 years, even though it may be the best built truck of them all.

Any input is appreciated, particularly if you have spent a lot of time in several of them to make an actual comparison.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
topwater blowup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Tundra... lil to no maintenance, no front ends to replace etc. Just drive and enjoy. The thing to remember is you drive for smiles not miles regarding the gas mileage.
topwater blowup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

I’ve become a fan of the 3.5 ecoboost. Wife has it in her expedition, and it has been pretty impressive. She averages almost 19 mpg.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Tundra
Fishcat91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I have a GMC 5.3 with 10 speed getting overall average for 7000 miles about 19. It does what I need, but still wished I had the 6.2. Those just didn't have the high rebates like the 5.3s.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

Tundra, F150, Ram in that order
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods and the mountains

Fundra!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #8
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

I have a 2016 f-150 5.0 with 218,000 miles. It consistently gets 17.5-18mpg. Highway only it gets 19-20 or better depending on the wind and terrain. I change oil every 5000 miles.
Just changed the plugs and coils at 213,000. It is the Six speed auto and the newer ones have the 10 speed which may get better mileage. Other than regular maintenance it’s been a great truck. Company vehicle, drive it like I stole it.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Tundra all the way.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
SaltyMutt
Four Point

Hard to beat a Tundra 77k miles on my 2017 not a single issue. One thing to consider is a new design will be out next year I believe. It will come with a twin turbo V6 though. Don't know if they will still have their current 5.7 anymore.
SaltyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMutt View Post
Hard to beat a Tundra 77k miles on my 2017 not a single issue. One thing to consider is a new design will be out next year I believe. It will come with a twin turbo V6 though. Don't know if they will still have their current 5.7 anymore.
I will personally never have a turbo anything again if at all possible !! Then again I'm not a put your foot in it guy. If I go back to 1/2 ton I'll go back to F150 or the Tundra whichever is the better deal at the time I like them both. I never had problem with my F150 and my buddy never had a problem with his Tundra and I'm not a big brand buy guy but pretty well would be between those 2 for me.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #12
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I went with another Cheby. Silverado High Country with 6.2 and 10 speed, 4wd and love the fuel mileage it gets with the big motor. I have averaged over 20 mpg on long trips to south Texas running 75-80.
Attached Images

muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #13
friscopaint
Ten Point

Now that is impressive. My F250 with big gas gets 13
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I went with another Cheby. Silverado High Country with 6.2 and 10 speed, 4wd and love the fuel mileage it gets with the big motor. I have averaged over 20 mpg on long trips to south Texas running 75-80.
It requires premium fuel, doesn't it?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
Keith
Administrator

Any comments on any of the 1/2 ton diesel engines?

Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #16
duckmanep
Pope & Young

how many miles you drive a year?
duckmanep is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Really!!!?
Didn't you read the "Tundra or Titan" thread?
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #18
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Any comments on any of the 1/2 ton diesel engines?

If you're interested in diesel, just get a 3/4 ton. Tundra is a no brainer If the gas mileage bugs you, the next gen tundra's will have WAY better gas mileage, but it won't be as much as a "TRUCK" as the current model tundras. Be a little more neutered like the F-150.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #19
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
If you're interested in diesel, just get a 3/4 ton. Tundra is a no brainer If the gas mileage bugs you, the next gen tundra's will have WAY better gas mileage, but it won't be as much as a "TRUCK" as the current model tundras. Be a little more neutered like the F-150.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #20
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Tundra hands down.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #21
Closer
Four Point

Hunt In: Doss, Tx

I have a 2020 ram eco diesel 4x4 crew cab and I love it. I have 20,000 miles on it and no issues. It gets a combined 25-26 running around town. When I I get it on the highway 28-29. One time with 1200lbs of feed in the back on the way to the lease 100 miles I got 27.1 mpg for the trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #22
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

I was trying to make the same decision in December. I was only considering a Tundra or the F150 though as I have had horrible experiences with Dodge and Chevy. I ended up choosing a Platinum F150 FX4 Crew Cab with the 3.5 Ecoboost (375 HP & 470 Torque) and the 38 gallon fuel tank. I drive a minimum of 110 miles per day and sometimes much more so the Tundra's gas mileage would have made a big difference in fuel cost. I've already put 7800 miles on my truck since early December. Right now I average about 18mpg with a mix of city and highway, driving 80-85 when on the highway. I'm sure it would do better if I would keep my foot out of it. It would have been maybe 13mpg with the Tundra in the same scenario. The next factor was how dated the Tundra has become. They are in major need of updates to keep up with the other manufacturers. I am a huge Toyota fan but I felt they were behind Ford in interior amenities, comfort, technology, etc. When your in a truck as much as me everyday, it makes a difference. They are due to release the new Tundra next year but I didn't want to wait. The decked out Tundra is cheaper than a decked out F150, but at the end of the day, I just liked the Ford better. That may change next time after the new Tundra's are released.

Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-28-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
Tsnow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes Co. / Junction TX

Tundra.
Tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #24
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
When you say “neutered” what do you mean. I had a 2009 and a 2019 tundra 4x4 with the 5.7 and neither would run or tow with the new 5.0 or especially the 3.5 ecoboost. Both Tundras were good stout trucks, and I never had any problems with either of them.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #25
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

In half ton, GMC 6.2, or Ford Raptor. Dodge TRX is way too rare at this point, and Chevy's are just horrifically ugly.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
When you say “neutered” what do you mean. I had a 2009 and a 2019 tundra 4x4 with the 5.7 and neither would run or tow with the new 5.0 or especially the 3.5 ecoboost. Both Tundras were good stout trucks, and I never had any problems with either of them.

Yep the 5.7 Tundra is lacking quite a bit in performance compared to the current 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5 Ecoboost, especially if you get the F150 limited with the 450hp Ecoboost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #27
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Tundra, they hardly ever have issues
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #28
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I have been driving Fords for quite a while. All company trucks withe the 5.0 and i got 16-18 mpg combined. That was 2008-2015. Put multiple trucks to 180,000 miles before swapping and little to no repairs. 99% just routine maintenance.

I have heard a ton about Tundra’s durability and their following. However, knowing fuel will get more and more costly with crazy joe in the WH, i would stay away from the Tundra and go with the more improved Ecoboost. What bugs were there at inception have been fixed.

Can’t say much for Chevy. Never owned one, mostly because their interiors were ugly to me.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #29
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

The Tundra is one of the easiest to work on. None of the cylinders are under the dash, like every other MFG
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

GM Trail Boss or F150 Limited or Raptor. Can't miss on these.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #31
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I was trying to make the same decision in December. I was only considering a Tundra or the F150 though as I have had horrible experiences with Dodge and Chevy. I ended up choosing a Platinum F150 FX4 Crew Cab with the 3.5 Ecoboost (375 HP & 470 Torque) and the 38 gallon fuel tank. I drive a minimum of 110 miles per day and sometimes much more so the Tundra's gas mileage would have made a big difference in fuel cost. I've already put 7800 miles on my truck since early December. Right now I average about 18mpg with a mix of city and highway, driving 80-85 when on the highway. I'm sure it would do better if I would keep my foot out of it. It would have been maybe 13mpg with the Tundra in the same scenario. The next factor was how dated the Tundra has become. They are in major need of updates to keep up with the other manufacturers. I am a huge Toyota fan but I felt they were behind Ford in interior amenities, comfort, technology, etc. When your in a truck as much as me everyday, it makes a difference. They are due to release the new Tundra next year but I didn't want to wait. The decked out Tundra is cheaper than a decked out F150, but at the end of the day, I just liked the Ford better. That may change next time after the new Tundra's are released.
This is what makes the decision to get a Tundra so difficult. It's a great truck, no doubt, but it's outdated and gets horrible gas mileage. It's also the last year for the current design. When they start selling the new design next year, it will be really outdated.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #32
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is what makes the decision to get a Tundra so difficult. It's a great truck, no doubt, but it's outdated and gets horrible gas mileage. It's also the last year for the current design. When they start selling the new design next year, it will be really outdated.

Yah that was my exact thoughts when I was trying to decide. They are great trucks but those two things mattered to me.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #33
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

I have an f350, my son has a tundra, my sister has ( had) a Chevy and a very good friend of ours has a dodge. I would take my sons truck over the others, without question.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #34
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

If you’re driving a truck around like a car / not hauling any payload, I don’t think it matters
Toyota gets terrible mpg and the trd drags the bumper with a trailer
My 2014 Silverado is hit or miss on mpg anywhere from 12 -18 with no load
Ford ego boost is about the same

I am thinking about just buying a f150 with a baseline V6 3.3 for every day use and keep the Chevy when I need some payload moved
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #35
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Not much has been mentioned one way or another about the Dodge Ram, but I was recently made aware of a critical design flaw or quality issue that I had not heard about on the news or read about in any auto trade magazines.

Apparently, according to my daughter and her friends, it is a widely held tenet among young women under 30 that men who drive Rams generally possess overly large “attitudes,” as she put it, that compensate for other overly small or deficient...um, physical attributes.

As for me, I couldn’t say. Just thought I’d share, for whatever it’s worth to you.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #36
jer_james
Pope & Young

I just got the Expedition Max with the eco boost and have fallen in love with it. Used to be a GMC guy, but heard good things, and wanted to give it a try. Has been well worth it in the short time I've had it.

I have mine for a lot of highway driving though.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #37
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
I have been driving Fords for quite a while. All company trucks withe the 5.0 and i got 16-18 mpg combined. That was 2008-2015. Put multiple trucks to 180,000 miles before swapping and little to no repairs. 99% just routine maintenance.

I have heard a ton about Tundra’s durability and their following. However, knowing fuel will get more and more costly with crazy joe in the WH, i would stay away from the Tundra and go with the more improved Ecoboost. What bugs were there at inception have been fixed.

Can’t say much for Chevy. Never owned one, mostly because their interiors were ugly to me.

And those Ford engines are about used up at 180,000 miles. As expensive as trucks cost now, if he plans on keeping his truck for 10 years, you think 180,000 miles will get him 10 years. Get a Tundra.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #38
SaltyMutt
Four Point

Just a little PSA. I was getting 13.6MPG on my Tundra. Switched the air filter to a WIX and went back up to 14.8. Still not good but anything helps....lol
SaltyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #39
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Bottom line if you want a REAL TRUCK, the trade off is, your not going to have the MPG of a Prius. Just look around and see how many 2000-2010 tundra's are still on the road vs all the other manufacturer's in the same year models. That should help you make your decision.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #40
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
If you’re driving a truck around like a car / not hauling any payload, I don’t think it matters
Toyota gets terrible mpg and the trd drags the bumper with a trailer
My 2014 Silverado is hit or miss on mpg anywhere from 12 -18 with no load
Ford ego boost is about the same

I am thinking about just buying a f150 with a baseline V6 3.3 for every day use and keep the Chevy when I need some payload moved
If you're just driving a truck around like a car........buy a car. You'll save a lot of money.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #41
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

Dependability, comfort and proven mattered to me. So did the size of the front seat area for a big guy. I'm too **** old to care what folks think about my truck's "date". I just wanted new, dependable and proven. I went with the Tundra after driving all three mostly due to the comfort in the front seat and dependability Toyota is famous for. When I hit a deer and my truck went in the shop, I was put in a F150 platinum. I was glad to get back into my Tundra after 2 weeks.....that's all I'm gonna say about that.. That being said everybody is different. Drive them all..buy what you like.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #42
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Have a 2020 Silverado with the 3.0 duramax. I'm very happy with it.

Had a tundra but wrecked it last year. Loved the truck and would have looked at them again but I know drive 80miles a day when I need to go to the office vs the 15 before.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_u_sharp_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #43
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
So you bought a top of the line loaded platinum truck for yourself but you wont spend on health insurance to cover your children? You owe it to your kids and could afford insurance if you would choose cloth over leather and all the bells and whistles. Mind boggling
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #44
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
So you bought a top of the line loaded platinum truck for yourself but you wont spend on health insurance to cover your children? You owe it to your kids and could afford insurance if you would choose cloth over leather and all the bells and whistles. Mind boggling
Man how about you mind your own business. My family and my finances are none of your concern. The fact that you think you need to tell another man something like this is what is mind boggling.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #45
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

No problems with my 2015 f150 3.5 ecoboost and I would buy it again. I currently have 150k miles on it. No major issues and plan to keep for several more years. I drive in Houston so a lot of stop and go traffic and I drive as fast as I can get away with. Average about 17 mpg

The interior of the Ford I don't think can be beat. It sure is fun putting it in Turbo....
Beargrasstx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #46
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

1999 Chevy 2500 6.0 297,000 miles
2003 Chevy 2500 305,000 and sunk it in the ocean.
2008 Chevy 1500 5.3 325,000 miles and still going.
2015 GMC 5.3 180,000 and going strong.
My wife's 2008....not sure mileage but still her daily driver. It's been in the shop once for ball joints.

During those same years my buddy couldn't get his Ford diesels over 100,000 without all sorts of issues.

No experience with Tundras but alot of guys sure like them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-28-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #47
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
1999 Chevy 2500 6.0 297,000 miles
2003 Chevy 2500 305,000 and sunk it in the ocean.
2008 Chevy 1500 5.3 325,000 miles and still going.
2915 GMC 5.3 180,000 and going strong.
My wife's 2008....not sure mileage but still her daily driver. It's been in the shop once for ball joints.

During those same years my buddy couldn't get his Ford diesels over 100,000 without all sorts of issues.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
and probably all had a headlight out
duckmanep is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
and probably all had a headlight out

And the headliner drooping on his head...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #49
Muddslinger
Four Point

1/2 ton I’d prolly go tundra
Muddslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #50
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMutt View Post
This is the only thing that could get me out of my F150, and probably will. I've always loved Toyota's. Im going to wait and let them work the kinks out of it for a couple years, and get one more than likely.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top