X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kool can't wait to see it

Comment

Here's today's update.

I took the hide out of the lutan f solution, rinsed it well with the hose, and hung it up to drain for a while.

After drying for about an hour, I mixed up the Pro Plus tanning oil.

The instructions call for 1 part tanning oil to be mixed with 2 parts hot water. I added the oil to the water and mixed them well.

I spread the hide out and poured the oil over the hide and rubbed it in over the entire skin side of the hide.

I'll let the hide dry thoroughly and tomorrow I will start breaking and stretching the hide.

Comment

cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How well does the hide take in the oil. Are you just moving around puddles until it soaks it up or is there a process that works better?

Comment

It's almost like rubbing in very thin lotion. The hide does not soak it up very rapidly. I am just making sure there is plenty of it covering the entire surface of the hide so it will soak in as the hide dries.

Comment

keep it coming, I'm planning on printing this thread and trying this myself when you are done.......THANK YOU FOR SHARING

Comment

this is a great thread

Comment

Some pointers

Thawing in a salt brine doesn't hurt. I prefer not to work with a water logged skin myself.

Look up fleshing with a pressure washer. It will remove all of the red meat and membrane before you salt. A bobcat takes about 5 minutes if you have one.

It's not a good idea to rinse a pickled hide in plain water. Once a hide goes into the pickle you really should use a salt brine to rinse your hides. Failure to do so can lead to acid swelling. Not a good thing and if not corrected promptly, will destroy the skin structure.

If you let the skin dry some before you oil, it will absorb much faster.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntnnut View Post
                    Thawing in a salt brine doesn't hurt. I prefer not to work with a water logged skin myself.

Look up fleshing with a pressure washer. It will remove all of the red meat and membrane before you salt. A bobcat takes about 5 minutes if you have one.

It's not a good idea to rinse a pickled hide in plain water. Once a hide goes into the pickle you really should use a salt brine to rinse your hides. Failure to do so can lead to acid swelling. Not a good thing and if not corrected promptly, will destroy the skin structure.

If you let the skin dry some before you oil, it will absorb much faster.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. I'm going out to do some predator calling tomorrow. Hopefully I'll come up with something to try the pressure washer on.

I'll try using a separate tub with a brine to rinse next time also.

Comment

very neat thread. thanks for posting.

Comment

Any updates

Comment

Sweet Thread. Gonna have to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter08 View Post
                            Any updates

x2

Comment

Can this process be applied to any animal? (pig, goat, deer)

Comment

Interesting keep it coming

Comment

Working...
                                X