Rainy day project- Jugline build-along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainy day project- Jugline build-along

Cold, dreary day outside, so I decided to build some more (20) juglines for next weekend. I snapped some shots during the process.

Parts list (per jug):
    2 1/2" PVC Caps
    18" 1/2" PVC pipe
    Screw eye
    6" of 3/8" rebar
    12" Pool noodle, with the hole through the middle

These are the screw eyes I use (purchased from Lowes):

Preparing to build the endcaps:

Drill a pilot hole for the screw eye. Choose the size wisely, too small and it'll crack the cap.

Here are the 20 caps with the eyes screwed in:

I put some epoxy on the backside of the cap to reinforce it a little, as well as seal it up a little better. I used a slimmed down tongue depressor (got a whole box left over from another project) to get the epoxy all the way down without getting any on the ID of the cap.

To be continued......

To hold all the caps until the epoxy set up, I took a cardboard box and made a slice in it. Then just push the eye through the slice.

Cutting the pool noodles. I just used a large sharp kitchen knife.

Preparing to assemble the jugs:

First glue on the cap with the screw eye:

Then push the PVC through the noodle. This can be pretty hard.

Then insert a bit of foam (I use the yellow foam ear plugs). This foam softens the blow from the rebar sliding down the tube. The rebar could pop out the screw eye if you don't do this.

To be continued........

Comment

Then insert the rebar:

Now glue the second endcap on:

Here's the jug fully assembled without the line on it:

Note the color. If you are fishing on public waters, they must be white per TPWD regulations. I fish exclusively on private, so I cut that step out. You can wrap these in white duct tape to meet this reg.

Comment

This is probably a very stupid question, but what does the rebar do? Thanks.

Comment

Adds Weight?

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
            This is probably a very stupid question, but what does the rebar do? Thanks.
            When the line is set, the jug floats on it's side. Fish hits and gives a tug, then the rebar slides down to that end, causing the jug to float upright, or "flag". You can watch a group from a long ways off and tell if there are any fish on.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
              Adds Weight?
              That is what I was thinking? I was mainly wondering, is it set out with eye vertical and the rebar weighting down the other end? Then when a fish hits it, it is flipped over and the rebar slides to the other end?

Comment

we always set the line just tight enough to hold the float upright, so the fish would be able to embed the hook easier.

what do yall use for bait???

Comment

Thats kewl

Comment

I see now, very kewl! Awesome job by the way

Comment

Very cool design. I run lines on a little creek nearby. Gonna have to make a few and try that out.

Comment

Job well done!

Comment

saw a fishing show and they had these jugs. BY the time they put out their set, they could look out across the lake and see that one was tripped. Pulled a fish off that one and looked out across the set to see another one tripped. They ended up with a cooler full of fish.

Cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                            saw a fishing show and they had these jugs. BY the time they put out their set, they could look out across the lake and see that one was tripped. Pulled a fish off that one and looked out across the set to see another one tripped. They ended up with a cooler full of fish.

Cool idea.
                            That's the plan. These 20 will make 38. Should be enough to keep me busy for a while.

Comment

I love this idea. I have fished with milk jugs all my life but never thought of this. Why do you have to use all white in public waters. I would think the green and other colors would show up well.

Do you put multiples hook on them and do you put a weight at the bottom of the line, if so, how heavy???

Comment

Working...
                              X