X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching.

Comment

Originally posted by simsknives View Post
      ok so tried to do a little work tonight and didnt start well at all i tried to just thread the prop on the shaft to see if it would fit and i get it about half way on and it wont come off. ive tried heat and cool and pry bars its not good at all.
      you a member on mmt also?

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
        Interesting. I almost bought a mud motor boat once until I drove one. NEGATIVE... I bought an airboat instead!!!! And it was the best decision I've ever made!!! Now, if it'd sell so I can upgrade...

If I lived on the coast I would own an airboat, but an airboat won't get to the spots I hunt. They don't do so well in flooded back waters.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
          you a member on mmt also?
          yes sir

Comment

heres what happened
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks kinda like the threads are jimmied up on the end of the shaft. Might have got cross threaded or a burr in there. Is that an aluminum prop and stainless shaft? If so, threaded aluminum and threaded stainless don't get along well together. Have to take things real slow or it will gall up on ya.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Following this one

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
                  Interesting. I almost bought a mud motor boat once until I drove one. NEGATIVE... I bought an airboat instead!!!! And it was the best decision I've ever made!!! Now, if it'd sell so I can upgrade...
                  Me and a buddy of mine use our mud motors, and do quite well, 1000 ducks this year all on public land. We use less than half a gallon of fuel per hunt, only have a few thousand dollars in our motors. We can buy a new motor cheaper than you can rebuild yours and ours dont scare ducks for miles around. New prop for me 200 bucks, you several thousand, new drive from engine to prop for me 50 bucks, you thousands. It dont take a genius to see the smarter way to go. To each his own I guess.

To the OP, good luck with your build. I run a 25hp longtail now, but had a 16 in high school. It will be slow, but it will still get the job done, mine never let me down and hauled in piles and piles of ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Looks kinda like the threads are jimmied up on the end of the shaft. Might have got cross threaded or a burr in there. Is that an aluminum prop and stainless shaft? If so, threaded aluminum and threaded stainless don't get along well together. Have to take things real slow or it will gall up on ya.
                    Its a stainless steel prop on a 4140 shaft i was dumb and didnt used any never seize on the threads i bought the tap and die to fix them as soon as i get them off so hopefully i didnt mess up too bad. if i did then ill cut the shaft off at the prop and shorten it a little. and re-thread it.

Comment

a few pictures
                      Attached Files

Comment

today i did some work almost finishing up the shaft housing got all the holes drilled for the grease zerks and the holes for the bushing locking studs and welded the nuts on for those i decided to weld on the nuts because it gave me more threads to use opposed to just threading the pipe and just welding it was a lot easier.

I aslo started the motor up today it started on the second pull which was great kinda scared me because it started jumping around on the work table. the wireing and igniton box is mounted to the engine for now but will be moved to the tiller handle as soon as its built.

Comment

had to take a break from the build it was stressing me out so i carved some duck lips.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have the same motor on a generator.
                            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

nice work so far!

Comment

Originally posted by simsknives View Post
                                today i did some work almost finishing up the shaft housing got all the holes drilled for the grease zerks and the holes for the bushing locking studs and welded the nuts on for those i decided to weld on the nuts because it gave me more threads to use opposed to just threading the pipe and just welding it was a lot easier.

I aslo started the motor up today it started on the second pull which was great kinda scared me because it started jumping around on the work table. the wireing and igniton box is mounted to the engine for now but will be moved to the tiller handle as soon as its built.
                                Throttle is a must to move to handle. Go devils generally just have a wire running up the handle for a kill switch. Ignition is done from the motor itself. Looking good, nice duck call too.

Comment

Working...
                                X