Wooden Spool Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NSpannTX View Post
    Backer board. Look at the second pic and you'll see some tan stuff screwed down with grid lines in it. That's backer board. Tile goes on top.
    Correct. Think the sheet cost about $8-10 at HD. Just had to trace the circle and trim it out.

**Hint on cutting Hardy or backer board. Get a blade for the jig saw that is designed specially for cutting this stuff. 1 blade cost $10.00 at HD, but it is worth every penny. Cut it like butter. Before I always used blades designed for metal and they would burn up in a matter of minutes. Go thru 4-6 blades per project. Not any more.**

Comment

Nice! I saw one at the San Angelo 4-H office and I've wanted to make one ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_08 View Post
        looks nice! where can you get the wooden spools?
        My wife works in the office at NUCOR steel and they have a lot of old spools of different sizes. She pulled the trailer to work one day and they loaded a few up for her.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_08 View Post
          looks nice! where can you get the wooden spools?

Hit up your local electrical supply house. They sell them and give them away pretty regularly.

Comment

Nice looking table !!

Comment

that is nice!

Comment

That's real nice. Now you've got my wheels spinning...

Comment

Thanks for sharing!! After seeing this I called my dad to see if I could get some spools from his shop and he said I can have as many as I want

Comment

Allsome!
                    Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                    l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                    ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, was actually a fairly easy job just took some time cutting all the two inch pieces for the border (I know you can buy them pre cut but they would have been a different color) and then trying to put the puzzle together with all the broken pieces took a few beers, I mean a little time, but it wasn't bad. Just wanted to share so maybe y'all could get some ideas of your own.

Comment

Hahaha. I had one of those 'spool tables' in a house me and 5 other guys rented in college. We found it 'conveniently' down the road from us and rolled it into our living room and used it for a coffee table. Thing was big and worked great.

Downside? It had $5,000 dollars of fiber still wrapped around it. The police and the phone company came a knockin.' (Apparently, they could see if from our front door.) Thankfully, they took pitty on us. They made us roll it back down the street. Could have been a lot uglier.

Thanks for bringing back the memory. You my friend are a fine craftsman. Your table looks great. (Maybe even worth more than $5K!!!)

Comment

Very nice. Hope my wife dont see it.

Comment

mad skills.

Comment

That is sweet.

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Working...
                                X