Wood Stove Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Stove Help

I have an old cast iron wood stove that was giving to me by my grandfather. It came out of the old cabin on the home place back in West Virginia many years ago. My wife and myself are building a new house and going with a wood burning stove. We would like to redue this old thing and put it back in use. I can weld and patch holes but I'm not going to attempt to weld on this cast iron. Being this is a DIY, I know there is bound to be some info on someone that can fix this thing right and bring it back to life. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Could you maybe square up the broken edges and fabricate a replacement piece?

Comment

cast

I think your best bet is to see if you can find one like it that has a good piece like the one that is no good on your stove and then see if someone can cast a new piece for you. If you try to patch it, it will look like a patch. Too bad that it's not at the back of the stove and then you would never see it.

You may also have some luck looking around on the internet to find some parts. There are some people that rebuild them and part them out too.

I'm building a ranch cabin and bought one that had been fully restored to put in it. It doesn't have the sentimental value to me like yours does.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by macoop; 04-24-2021, 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have a machine shop thats going to build me a new front piece. The sides of the stove at the bottom are cracked I was going to try and get welded up along with some other small cracks. I'd like to sand blast it and repaint it but I'm not sure it will survive if I run a sand blaster on it.

Comment

That would be relly nice if you could get that repaired. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            That would be relly nice if you could get that repaired. Good luck !
            Thank you sir. It will probably be cheaper to buy a new one but what's the fun in that when I can have the same one my grandfather had as a kid and adult.

Comment

You could have your grandpa's as a coffee or end table and get one that'd work for a stove.

Comment

Cool old stick burner. You going to put in your new house? Or in garage / barn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                  Cool old stick burner. You going to put in your new house? Or in garage / barn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  The goal is to get it in good enough shape it will go in the house. If that doesn't work out it will go in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post

I'm building a ranch cabin and bought one that had been fully restored to put in it.
                    I'm sorry....what???

Comment

It would probably need to be welded because of the heat being to much for brazing. Cast welding rods are about $80 per pound so very expensive to do and the metal in your stove is probably "rotten" by now because of all it's years of use and may not be able to be welded at all. It would certainly be a chance to take.

Comment

Having been a self-employed welder for about 40 years, I've had a number of opportunities to repair-restore old cast iron stoves, wash pots, and the like. Much of that old cast iron simply cannot be repaired good enough to put back into service. In fact, many of the people that used those old stoves when they were new placed them in box with sand in it to keep them from burning the house down if they split wide open while in use. I'd get it looking good, and have it as an end table, or ornament, and get a modern steel wood stove to use for heating. Just a suggestion...

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                          Having been a self-employed welder for about 40 years, I've had a number of opportunities to repair-restore old cast iron stoves, wash pots, and the like. Much of that old cast iron simply cannot be repaired good enough to put back into service. In fact, many of the people that used those old stoves when they were new placed them in box with sand in it to keep them from burning the house down if they split wide open while in use. I'd get it looking good, and have it as an end table, or ornament, and get a modern steel wood stove to use for heating. Just a suggestion...
                          I appreciate your help and suggestions. They old thing can't be repaired. More than likely it going in the shop as a heat source for the winter time.

Comment

Working...
                          X