Trolling Motor Batteries???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys.

For dedicated trolling motor use...seems like I want to prioritize Amp hours & reserve capacity over CCA/MCA? If so, what’s the minimum CCA/MCA I should stay at or above?

Thanks again for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another one for Duracells from Sam's. Johnson moved its battery manufacturing to Mexico and they own multiple battery brands, Interstate and Optima are included in that list. Since then a lot of their lifespans have gone downhill.

Comment

Get the biggest you can afford. I use the Auto Zone batteries & have had good luck with them.

Comment

I just replaced all my Interstates that came with the boat in 2018 with the Duracells from Sams. Had a set in the triton when I sold it and was happy with them. I go with 31Ms cause I need all the juice I can get!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            Glen I have a stealth battery charger which I am very pleased with going on 6 years. I've heard pro and cons about leaving them plugged in. And I guess my biggest fear of leaving them is fire. Not saying what you do doesn't work because I did it for years. I don't fish for a living like you so your in a different situation. Thanks for all your input on boat stuff.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
            That may be something for folks to think about. I don't know of anyone having an onboard charger cause a fire but I guess it has probably happened before.

I've plugged mine in and left it between trips on every boat I have owned that had an onboard 'smart' charger and never gave it a second thought. But I can see what you are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              This.

Im this way.

I have a 3 bank minn kota and plug it in for a few days and unplug. As I said in the other thread, I have ran all the big names. My boat currently sits with wal mart batteries. I had one replaced for free a month ago that was a year old. With or without an on-board I get about 2 years out of them no matter what I spend
              I've had good luck with wal mart batteries too. I have Interstates now. I had good luck with them in the past. I think how you take care of them is the important thing.

Comment

I only use interstate for my trolling motor and start batteries. They last longer than the high dollar batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                  I just replaced all my Interstates that came with the boat in 2018 with the Duracells from Sams. Had a set in the triton when I sold it and was happy with them. I go with 31Ms cause I need all the juice I can get!
                  Spot checking on the duracells...this them? https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ultra/sli31mdc

Comment

i bit the bullet and bought lithium ionics
                    8 yr warranty but pricey
                    good for 3000 plus charge cycles
                    only had them 6 weeks so too soon to tell but i like them so far

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                      i bit the bullet and bought lithium ionics
                      8 yr warranty but pricey
                      good for 3000 plus charge cycles
                      only had them 6 weeks so too soon to tell but i like them so far
                      What was the price on them. I would like to own them but I can't justify the cost yet. You can buy 1 battery to replace 3 I believe. Good luck

Comment

What was the price on them. I would like to own them but I can't justify the cost yet. You can buy 1 battery to replace 3 I believe. Good luck

Si

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was at one of the Battery and Bulb stores and buying a Duracell and salesman said there are 2 which one ya want Chinese (its cheaper ) or Regular...

Comment

David with Shut up and Fish sells 12v 100amh Gulls for $589. I might get one just for electronics.

Comment

Got mine at Walmart.

Comment

Ag...I use solar panels to trickle charge batteries and it works well. Some cheap solar panels from Amazon that come with clamps and 12v adapter. Some of my machines have a phantom draw. As long as I identify the problem children (which coincidentally is often my children flipping switches or leaving keys on) and ensure disconnect...my interstates do well to hold a charge when not in use. I know all the guys at the Georgetown Interstate...I got to heckle the FNG yesterday. The Interstate Manager highly suggests keeping batteries on a tender to maintain full charge at all times.

My cousin just left with his camper. He was running two 6v electric golf cart batteries in series and a 12v deepcycle with a switch between. Apparently alot of dry campers use golf cart batteries because they will go very low in voltage and still work due to the lead plates being thicker than deepcycle batteries. However the golf cart batteries dont have the cranking power.

Im not sold on AGMs..and have had problems. My motorcycle mech said that alot bikers and offroaders are finding that the impacts during riding are causing the glass mats to break apart and the batteries dont last as desired. Boats take alot of impact.

Not sure if any of that helps but...good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X