Was just quoted $63/sf for small metal shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was just quoted $63/sf for small metal shop

Want to add on to my shop, a small area for office, bathroom and lunchroom. Only 220sf. ( like I said, small ). Wood frame, r panel, 4" slab, insulated, no sheetrock etc. No ceiling etc.

A few yrs ago my shop cost $24/ft if I remember right. Quote I just got was $63/sf. I know things have gone up but that's insane!

We are talking about a little add on, exposed insulation etc.

Guess I will have to do it myself....again...
    Last edited by miket; 03-20-2021, 11:57 AM.

Look up lumber and steel prices, they have doubled after election.

Comment

Something that small is gonna be hard to bid by the sf. It's gotta be worth their time or the won't do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        Look up lumber and steel prices, they have doubled after election.
        Did that. Not even close to tripling the cost of a simple build like this in 2yrs. We are talking 20pcs 2x6x10, 400 or so sf of r panel. 4yds concrete ( roughly ). 5pcs 4x6x10 treated. Its an add on, so only 3 walls and roof. 10' x 22' so no long spans etc

Comment

Your plumbing, framing, electric was less per square foot previously because you had more sqft to spread those over. Now you’re cramming all those into a smaller space so yes, it will cost more per sqft. Cost per sqft isn’t a good way to compare cost unless you’re doing apples to apples, which you are not.

And yes, as someone else pointed out, material prices have jumped by a huge amount in the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Build it yourself, or shop it around. Pretty much your options.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
              Something that small is gonna be hard to bid by the sf. It's gotta be worth their time or the won't do the job.
              The quote wasn't actually per sf, but that makes sense. I can see that.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                Build it yourself, or shop it around. Pretty much your options.
                Looks like I will probably have the slab done, and the rest myself. I have done it all in the past, but would rather have the slab done....im getting soft. I can build 220sf in 1.5 days myself. Have done it before, just busy these days.....

Excluding slab, a crew could do in less than a day. May be why its so high. Probably charge full day for crew regardless. Makes sense.

Comment

How much in lost income will you have by building it yourself instead of producing parts that you make money on? That is the ultimate decision. Dont be penny wise and dollar foolish. As much as I hated to pay people to do things I knew I could do myself, it was cheaper for me to continue focusing on my business and let someone else do those types of things. Just another way to look at the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                    How much in lost income will you have by building it yourself instead of producing parts that you make money on? That is the ultimate decision. Dont be penny wise and dollar foolish. As much as I hated to pay people to do things I knew I could do myself, it was cheaper for me to continue focusing on my business and let someone else do those types of things. Just another way to look at the cost.
                    Absolutely. First shop I built myself, but the larger add-on I had built for that very reason. Made more money running the machines than I would save. This time the price is just too insane. I will keep tabs, but I bet I will save $300/hr doing myself. I saved $150/hr when I did my full a/c install 7-8yrs ago. ( before self employed ) It took me 40hrs saving $150/hr. Literally.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post

This.

Comment

$63/ sq ft.....not cool.
                        That would be me paying $73,000 for my 30x40 shop. I would say that's house money. Material hasn't went up that much since building mine.
                        Just do it yourself, that way you know its done right too, and no shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                          Your plumbing, framing, electric was less per square foot previously because you had more sqft to spread those over. Now you’re cramming all those into a smaller space so yes, it will cost more per sqft. Cost per sqft isn’t a good way to compare cost unless you’re doing apples to apples, which you are not.

And yes, as someone else pointed out, material prices have jumped by a huge amount in the last year.

X2, 220 SF is too small to bid by SF. Lots of good info here, good luck with your addition.

Comment

You're paying for trip charges

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

^^^ this

Like laying tile, I can do large open area for 2.25-2.50 a sq. But I can’t do a 30sq ft bathroom for that and it take me 2 days in labor

Comment

Working...
                              X