Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)
Default New Mathews V3X

If anyone is interested....looks like Petersen's dropped it a bit early.
https://youtu.be/Qd-qHvF_M0s

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
RedYote
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I dont think they are going to be sending him a bow before the official release date next year.
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #3
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Whoops! Interesting feature with the sight but not sure what that accomplishes?
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
CyTxCazador
Six Point

Hunt In: Mexico, Rockdale, Cat Spring, Normangee, Madisonville

Pretty meh. Looks like they focused more on integrated accessories for their profits this year. And still almost 4.5lbs & 340IBO. I’ve been a Mathews guy for a long time but it’s apparent that innovation is a little stagnant. Honestly not sure how much more you can do outside of some crazy material change but anything cutting edge will put it outside of most average hunter’s budget. Ready to see what the other guys come up with.
CyTxCazador is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #5
JakeM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.

yeah i see nothing worth getting rid of my v3 over..
JakeM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
Paycheck
Ten Point

Looks like the same thing except accessories. I shoot the Triax and have not seen much to change for.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyTxCazador View Post
Pretty meh. Looks like they focused more on integrated accessories for their profits this year. And still almost 4.5lbs & 340IBO. Iíve been a Mathews guy for a long time but itís apparent that innovation is a little stagnant. Honestly not sure how much more you can do outside of some crazy material change but anything cutting edge will put it outside of most average hunterís budget. Ready to see what the other guys come up with.
Is there other guys out there??ÖÖ
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I like that 33" ata and 6.5" Brace of the 33 V3X compared to their tiny bows... Very similar to my Traverse but with a couple of additions and changes.

I like and shoot my Traverse too well to change but if I was in a new bow mood, that would be the one, I'd be eyeing.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #9
da_pepper
Four Point

Hunt In: Public/Private

THIS!!!!!!

I shoot an old z7... I love it!!!!!! My brother accused me of drinking the Mathews Kool-Aid when I got it...but since owning it, I don't know that I will ever go back to anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
Is there other guys out there??ÖÖ
da_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

$250 quiver? Yowzers! However, I do have a VXR with the Mathews accessories.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
If anyone is interested....looks like Petersen's dropped it a bit early.
https://youtu.be/Qd-qHvF_M0s

If they were that concerned with secrecy, they shouldn't have hosted a South Texas hunt with Levi Morgan a few weeks ago. There was no way to plug the holes that created.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #12
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I am not sure I see any technical enhancements over the V3. I love my V3 27, and it has proven to be quite deadly. Mary has a Prima and it has proven to be quite deadly as well. There are a lot of similarities between the Prima and the V3. The integrated sight is interesting to say the least, but I can see it taking a while to get all of the choices to catch up. Gonna be pretty limited in the interim.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
spread5150
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

With covid it has created many issues for the manufactures. Apparently Hoyt can’t get people hired to make the bows. I wouldn’t expect A lot from them either. Prime looks like they just switched the cam system. Not sure on the rest. I wouldn’t expect ground breaking this year.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #14
Burwabit
Four Point

Hunt In: Marquez, Leon County, TX

Still loving my VXR 31.5 but cool to see the evolution. I would like to also buy a V3 27 for tight spaces… one day.
Burwabit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I like that 33" ata and 6.5" Brace of the 33 V3X compared to their tiny bows... Very similar to my Traverse but with a couple of additions and changes.

I like and shoot my Traverse too well to change but if I was in a new bow mood, that would be the one, I'd be eyeing.
Why do you like the longer ATA? Just curious. I'm excited about the 29". I have a V3 31 and think it's a bit cumbersome in the tree saddle. I couldn't imagine an even longer bow in the trees. I didn't like the draw cycle of the 27". I shoot lights out with the 31 though. Hoping the 29 fits the bill.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Why do you like the longer ATA? Just curious. I'm excited about the 29". I have a V3 31 and think it's a bit cumbersome in the tree saddle. I couldn't imagine an even longer bow in the trees. I didn't like the draw cycle of the 27". I shoot lights out with the 31 though. Hoping the 29 fits the bill.

I didn't like the shorter bows (less than the 31.5) draw cycle either. But more importantly I do not like the string angle on my face of shorter ATA bows. The face contacts points just don't work for me at full draw trying to look through my peep with a less than 31.5" bow. I have a hard time getting my nose to the string as it is.. The 33-34" just feels so much more natural to me. I've never thought a 33-34" bow felt cumbersome in a box, popup or quadpod either. Never had an issue. Then there is the theory thrown around that a longer ATA is more forgiving (see target shooters) and subsequently more accurate, so I take what I can get there. I do seem to shoot them well, so it helps my confidence. In the grand scheme of things from back in the day, 33 is really not long though. It's more medium.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #17
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Can't afford it I have Children

Quote:
I didn't like the shorter bows (less than the 31.5) draw cycle either. But more importantly I do not like the string angle on my face of shorter ATA bows. The face contacts points just don't work for me at full draw trying to look through my peep with a less than 31.5" bow. I have a hard time getting my nose to the string as it is.. The 33-34" just feels so much more natural to me. I've never thought a 33-34" bow felt cumbersome in a box, popup or quadpod either. Never had an issue. Then there is the theory thrown around that a longer ATA is more forgiving (see target shooters) and subsequently more accurate, so I take what I can get there. I do seem to shoot them well, so it helps my confidence. In the grand scheme of things from back in the day, 33 is really not long though. It's more medium.
This 100%.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
AndyMane
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora Tx

sticking with the VXR28 another yeah looks like
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #19
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Good info. I have zero issues in my ground blind.....just the trees. I saddle hunt 75% of the time. I'm going to the shop to shoot the 29 later today. If I don't like it, I'll save $$$$!

Old 11-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #20
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Y'all over here talking about ATA... need to remember the trad guys are shooting 56-66" bows when they hunt.
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #21
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Nice bow, but IMO bows have hit their ceiling in regards to advances in technology. In the past your money was actually paying for noticeable gains in speed, weight, etc. Now its just a new design but the specs do not really change, especially for the amount of coin they require. I switched from Mathews to a Hoyt Defiant a few years back and honestly do not see changing for a long time as its performance specs are no different than the new bows.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #22
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Nice bow, but IMO bows have hit their ceiling in regards to advances in technology. In the past your money was actually paying for noticeable gains in speed, weight, etc. Now its just a new design but the specs do not really change, especially for the amount of coin they require. I switched from Mathews to a Hoyt Defiant a few years back and honestly do not see changing for a long time as its performance specs are no different than the new bows.
I don't know. Specs have stayed approximately the same, but the bows have definitely gotten quieter, smoother, more solid backwall, higher let off, more customizable, easier to work on, etc... To me, it seems the "shootability" has been the focus for the last 5 or so years. Now, having said that I am super happy with my Halon, and have no intentions of even trying another bow as I am perfectly happy with it.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #23
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBowHntr View Post
I don't know. Specs have stayed approximately the same, but the bows have definitely gotten quieter, smoother, more solid backwall, higher let off, more customizable, easier to work on, etc... To me, it seems the "shootability" has been the focus for the last 5 or so years. Now, having said that I am super happy with my Halon, and have no intentions of even trying another bow as I am perfectly happy with it.
That's possible, but all of those factors are mostly opinions. Shootability to me is determined by weight, brace height, and let off. The weights haven't changed, the brace heights haven't changed, the let offs have some where you are seeing 85% as more common vs the 75-80% so maybe that 5 percent makes it more shootable, but when you are talking 70lb bow that 5% just means you are holding an extra 3.5lbs which I can definitely see as making it more shootable. They are all super nice bows no doubt, just hard for me to see the justification of the 1k price tag to gain those small changes.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #24
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

I think that is the point I was shooting for. Brace height, weight, and let off used to be the trade off for "shootability" in years past. Nowadays, they make bows with lower weight overall, but more balanced and stable. Higher let off but less shock and smoother draw cycle. Longer brace heights and the same speeds as shorter, less forgiving ones. Yes, shootability is opinion based, but I bet most would agree the bows of today are as fast (of faster), smoother, quieter, and easier to shoot than those of 5-10 years ago. Not to mention easier to adjust/work on at home. I absolutely agree that they seem like small advances especially when you look at them every year. But after a few years, it is more drastic. This is why I plan on sticking with my current bow for a good while.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

The differences between my 8 year old Elite Pulse and my Traverse were significant. I was once a "I can't find anything to make it worth spending big money on a new bow" and then FND slapped me in the face with the Traverse. It was "Take my money and make her all black" as soon as I shot it!!

The difference was enough for me to jump off the "need justification" train .
Old 11-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #26
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
The differences between my 8 year old Elite Pulse and my Traverse were significant. I was once a "I can't find anything to make it worth spending big money on a new bow" and then FND slapped me in the face with the Traverse. It was "Take my money and make her all black" as soon as I shot it!!

The difference was enough for me to jump off the "need justification" train .
This is 100% not targeted towards you or anyone else, but out of curiosity I wonder how much of it has to be the "new" factor. I'd be interested to see the results of blindfolding someone and having them shoot several bows within the past 5-7 years and see if they could pick out the newest one. Just a random thought...
Old 11-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #27
WRasco
Eight Point

Hunt In: Online - Buy more gear than I Hunt...

Looks amazing.
But I am still shooting a Browning bow that hit the market in 2007.
So there is a lot of room for improvement.
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #28
Adam G.
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Starr, kerr, Edwards Co.

I have a v3 31 and ordered the V3X 33inch bow. I'm a lefty so it'll be a while. Got the new granite color. I usually get a new bow every year. I love this time of year. New bows come out and it's deer season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Adam G. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #29
PigOPs
Six Point

I do find it funny that last year they were making a point that ATA is no longer the standard of forgiveness and shootability... this year... longer bows.
PigOPs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #30
Johnwayn34
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Don’t look to much different than my VXR. I don't understand how some of ya’ll buy new bows every year. They don’t change that much from year to year. Looks like the only thing that separates it from the V3 is accessories. Now if you have a old adrenaline or switchback then i say go get you one.
Johnwayn34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #31
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
I love hoyt.. their Hyper ZT cam is the smoothest can draw I've ever felt.. the hyperforce I shot was ridiculous..

But..

I cannot stand that pregnant belly behind the wrist backwards *** looking riser.. its atrocious to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Y'all over here talking about ATA... need to remember the trad guys are shooting 56-66" bows when they hunt.

Why do we need to remember what those technology challenged folks do?

AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #33
ByronB
Pope & Young

I will be sticking with my Vertix. I like the way it shoots!!
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #34
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I went from the Bowtech Tribute I bought new in Ď09, to a V3 27 a couple weeks ago. Man, these new bows are wicked!

Iíve never chronoíd a bow that I can remember, but my new one is delivering 529gr twigs at very similar velocities as my old one did with ~370gr, and 3 of them blew through hogs Saturday like **** through a goose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #35
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I went from the Bowtech Tribute I bought new in Ď09, to a V3 27 a couple weeks ago. Man, these new bows are wicked!

Iíve never chronoíd a bow that I can remember, but my new one is delivering 529gr twigs at very similar velocities as my old one did with ~370gr, and 3 of them blew through hogs Saturday like **** through a goose.

I picked up a V3 27 last week as a compliment to my Bowtech Revolt X (33Ēata). No reason to get it other than I wanted to try something short and thatís the shortest thatís out there. Really impressed with it and itís definitely no slouch shooting long range. Bowtech still edges it out there but not by much. Yes there are string angle challenges with my peep being as high as possible on the string. I never thought the Bowtech at 33Ē was cumbersome in the stand, and still think it is not, but that 27 is sure handy.

I shoot a 29Ē draw at 62lbs, and my 520 gr arrow out of it was cruising at 261fps. Bowtech is at 68lbs and the same arrow is 265-267. I did not expect them to be near that close.

Having just bought the 27 last week, no reason to look seriously at these. Great thing about Mathews is the used market is always busy given the massive sales numbers they generate, so maybe in a year or two.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #36
bakin7005
Ten Point

Well I went and shot both the 33 and the 29. I ordered the 29. They are both better shooters than my V3 31. I took my V3 to compare. Both are smoother draw and both are more stable/dead in hand. Reminded me of my beloved Vertix.
The new color is pretty cool but I stuck with Real Tree Edge. The new quiver is very nice. Super tight against the bow. I would be comfortable hunting with it on instead of removing it as I do now with my Web HD. The Stay Afield System is gonna be worth the $40 for me. I could have used that last year when I had a release failure.
For those who don't understand getting new bow every year, loyal trade in values at my favorite archery shop (Gateway) make it a no brainer. ....and yes I'm an unapologetic Mathews fan boy.....

Old 11-16-2021, 07:50 PM   #37
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pepper View Post
THIS!!!!!!

I shoot an old z7... I love it!!!!!! My brother accused me of drinking the Mathews Kool-Aid when I got it...but since owning it, I don't know that I will ever go back to anything else.
Yep, my Z7 is 10 years old, shoots great. the add lost me at 6" brace height.
I'm good for a while longer.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is 100% not targeted towards you or anyone else, but out of curiosity I wonder how much of it has to be the "new" factor. I'd be interested to see the results of blindfolding someone and having them shoot several bows within the past 5-7 years and see if they could pick out the newest one. Just a random thought...

Believe me man...you are preaching to the choir. I'm not trying to spend your money for you. I understand. I was the world's worst at what you are trying to convey to folks about technology. I was always finding something wrong with what I shot to make me justify not spending that on a bow. I was dead set on keeping my favorite bow ever up until that time.

I was just like you.....no way am I spending that kind of money on a bow when this one works fine. I had shot a couple going up to visit the guys up there. I had walked away because they just weren't what I was looking for specs wise. They felt better of course ...but was just having trouble justifying the cost. A year prior to my switch I had just put a new strings/cables and a new verifier peep on my old Pulse, and was shooting it better than I had in a long time to the tune of close to $250-300 worth of upgrades. So you know I was really trying to not justify a new bow..lol Then the call out of the blue came and I figured I'd go up and shoot and hang out with them for a bit thinking there would be another turn down. Soon after I was writing a check I didn't bring in with me.. The difference was incredible in technology in 8-9 years difference in my specs (33 ata and the 6.5" brace) I wanted. I couldn't justify it any more. After I paid for it all, I just told myself. "Look you tight ***....you bow hunt and you dove hunt. That's all you really do. You spend money on stupid **** not even involved in your main hobbies...spend it on what you do and I did..lol. Of course now I'm here 2.5 deer seasons later saying.....I'm never selling this bow...so at 4 years I can understand your hesitancy. That all being said I shoot this bow well. It fits me like a glove. CCR did a fine job getting me set up in it and tuning it annually for me.

Last edited by Smart; 11-16-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #39
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Believe me man...you are preaching to the choir. I'm not trying to spend your money for you. I understand. I was the world's worst at what you are trying to convey to folks about technology. I was always finding something wrong with what I shot to make me justify not spending that on a bow. I was dead set on keeping my favorite bow ever up until that time.

I was just like you.....no way am I spending that kind of money on a bow when this one works fine. I had shot a couple going up to visit the guys up there. I had walked away because they just weren't what I was looking for specs wise. They felt better of course ...but was just having trouble justifying the cost. A year prior to my switch I had just put a new strings/cables and a new verifier peep on my old Pulse, and was shooting it better than I had in a long time to the tune of close to $250-300 worth of upgrades. So you know I was really trying to not justify a new bow..lol Then the call out of the blue came and I figured I'd go up and shoot and hang out with them for a bit thinking there would be another turn down. Soon after I was writing a check I didn't bring in with me.. The difference was incredible in technology in 8-9 years difference in my specs I wanted. I couldn't justify it any more. After I paid for it all, I just told myself. "Look you tight ***....you bow hunt and you dove hunt. That's all you really do. You spend money on stupid **** not even involved in your main hobbies...spend it on what you do and I did..lol. Of course now I'm here 2.5 deer seasons later saying.....I'm never selling this bow...so at 4 years I can understand your hesitancy.

I like that response!

Old 11-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post

That 33 is 6.5"....I jumped all over it when I saw the Traverse was longer than 6.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #41
Milkfisher
Eight Point

Does this mean they have discounted the V3’s? LOL
Milkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #42
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkfisher View Post
Does this mean they have discounted the V3’s? LOL

I bet you'll find some in the classifieds after season... ....

Last edited by Smart; 11-16-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #43
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkfisher View Post
Does this mean they have discounted the V3ís? LOL
I saw a new one on the rack for $1100 yesterday, I'm not certain what they were before.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

The trick is bow shop no sooner than every 5 years. Then it seems much easier.

Then again 30+ years of bow hunting ive owned 4 bows

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #45
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post

Shoot one of the new ones. I bet that Z7 gets a back seat. Yes, I have shot the Z7 quite a bit. No comparison to a V3. None.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #46
Gerald G
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I saw a new one on the rack for $1100 yesterday, I'm not certain what they were before.
I paid $1049 for my new V3 about a month ago from a Mathews bow dealer. It’s black with camo limbs, all camo was $1099.
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 11:40 PM   #47
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Think I'll hang onto my VXR for another year.
sp-bow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #48
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

If I was in the market to buy a new bow it would be that V3X but I absolutely love my VXR. Itís my favorite bow to date.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 12:00 AM   #49
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

So your forced to buy a $350 sight if you want a sight for this bow F that.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 12:09 AM   #50
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
So your forced to buy a $350 sight if you want a sight for this bow F that.
No. From one of the videos I seen it looks like it also has the standard sight holes like before. Just added the new integrated sight attachment as well.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top