Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2021, 12:44 AM   #101
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun View Post
Xool! We are 10 miles down Juno highway. Does anyone know if the tagged released does all have orange ear tags?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím not sure. Maybe Brian can chime in and answer that for you. Iím new to the lease but he has been out there for a good while.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #102
BrianG
Ten Point
 
BrianG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Iím not sure. Maybe Brian can chime in and answer that for you. Iím new to the lease but he has been out there for a good while.

Iíve seen two tagged does so far and both had orange tags.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #103
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Iíve seen two tagged does so far and both had orange tags.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, whatís up with the tagged does??? Did some landowners get together and buy some deer to release after the anthrax outbreak, or are yíall on a high fence place?

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #104
BrianG
Ten Point
 
BrianG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
So, whatís up with the tagged does??? Did some landowners get together and buy some deer to release after the anthrax outbreak, or are yíall on a high fence place?

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Weíre low fence but a few neighboring ranches participated in the TP&W restocking program. They brought does in from a ranch out of Tilden.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #105
BrianG
Ten Point
 
BrianG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Target acquired!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #106
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Weíre low fence but a few neighboring ranches participated in the TP&W restocking program. They brought does in from a ranch out of Tilden.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cool! I didnít know TPWD did a restocking out there. So are those does off limits for any period of time? Are yíall passing on killing whitetails until numbers come back up? I didnít have any anthrax here at my house, and numbers are good here, but Iím interested in case I ever get hit with it in the future.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #107
Biggun
Ten Point
 
Biggun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LJ
Default

I have a few does on camera with white tags. I didnít know if a neighboring ranch stocked them or tpwd. Our ranch got hit by anthrax and we are not shooting any does. From what I have heard we
were on the edge of anthrax.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #108
Gumbo Man
Ten Point
 
Gumbo Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Livingston Texas
Hunt In: Onalaska Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Target acquired!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would say so. Good luck sir.
Gumbo Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #109
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Well I didnít win a ranger this year at raffle! Dang it! They had a lot of good guns too!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #110
AndyMane
Six Point
 
AndyMane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Hunt In: Sonora Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
Well I didnít win a ranger this year at raffle! Dang it! They had a lot of good guns too!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I missed the dinner this year, took my Grandpa out and caught a mess a catfish. How was the dinner ?
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #111
AndyMane
Six Point
 
AndyMane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Hunt In: Sonora Tx
Default

You guys that get your deer processed locally , who are you using?
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #112
WTN
Eight Point
 
WTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMane View Post
You guys that get your deer processed locally , who are you using?
Jock Dutton at Sonora Deer Processing.
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #113
AndyMane
Six Point
 
AndyMane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Hunt In: Sonora Tx
Default

Heading West day after Thanksgiving cant wait! What kind of activity have Yall been seeing?

I've got about 12 days to spend at the lease, looking forward to spending a lot of time in the stand.
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #114
IAFFHunter18
Eight Point
 
IAFFHunter18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora
Default

Here now. Seeing very good numbers, lots of new deer, small bucks chasing does but they dont have anything to do with them, its dry. Sorry have not posted in a while between work and chasing ducks up north I am sad to admit this is my first trip down.
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #115
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
Here now. Seeing very good numbers, lots of new deer, small bucks chasing does but they dont have anything to do with them, its dry. Sorry have not posted in a while between work and chasing ducks up north I am sad to admit this is my first trip down.
You got me beat! I havenít even opened my bow case this year! At this point going to leave it that way! Take little man down before Christmas to put some meat in the freezer and stay on the slabsí
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #116
IAFFHunter18
Eight Point
 
IAFFHunter18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora
Default

We will be down here prob about the same time. Holler if you want to meet up. I dusted the bow off for this trip and actually got to use it!!
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 07:01 AM   #117
AndyMane
Six Point
 
AndyMane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Hunt In: Sonora Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
Here now. Seeing very good numbers, lots of new deer, small bucks chasing does but they dont have anything to do with them, its dry. Sorry have not posted in a while between work and chasing ducks up north I am sad to admit this is my first trip down.
Getting same reports from the landowner , small bucks pushing, does not receptive to it just yet.

my favorite time of year to be in the stand!

Last edited by AndyMane; 11-24-2021 at 07:01 AM. Reason: SP
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #118
Preacher Man
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: Jasper Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
We will be down here prob about the same time. Holler if you want to meet up. I dusted the bow off for this trip and actually got to use it!!
Congrats! Glad yíall are seeing some numbers again
Preacher Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #119
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Still seeing the bachelor groups at the feeders and the young bucks are starting to run the younger doe around. Anyone seeing any good action? Iím thinking it should start getting hot and heavy next week


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #120
AndyMane
Six Point
 
AndyMane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Hunt In: Sonora Tx
Default

I'll be up there Friday afternoon, ill report back and update you guys on what I'm seeing.
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 11:38 PM   #121
IAFFHunter18
Eight Point
 
IAFFHunter18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
Still seeing the bachelor groups at the feeders and the young bucks are starting to run the younger doe around. Anyone seeing any good action? Iím thinking it should start getting hot and heavy next week


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, just left today. Youngsters starting to push, bucks still together, does not interested. Ide say a week or two out. But For those of us that weathered the anthrax, it was nice to see good numbers and good quality. Good luck to everyone. See yall back down there in a week or two.
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #122
ColinR
Pope & Young
 
ColinR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring Branch, TX-in the Hill Country not Houston
Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora
Default

Were seeing the same thing between Sonora and Roosevelt. I think we’re about a week or 2 from the full on rut.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #123
BrianG
Ten Point
 
BrianG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Headed west tonight. Looking forward to hanging out with the family and having a little stand time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #124
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Headed west tonight. Looking forward to hanging out with the family and having a little stand time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck keep us updated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 02:27 AM   #125
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

I went to a buddies place this afternoon way out off Bond Rd. I saw several smaller bucks pushing does around, but not really chasing yet. I did get a nice fat doe too!!!




I hunted my property this morning and saw another new buck I hadnít seen before. He was a real nice 8pt, but just not quite big enough to get shot yet. He came in and was eating corn. He started pushing does around, then would come back to the corn. So, not really chasing hard yet. This went on till all the corn was gone and all the deer left.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 02:32 AM   #126
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County
Default

Nice shooting Bisch!
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 03:59 AM   #127
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I went to a buddies place this afternoon way out off Bond Rd. I saw several smaller bucks pushing does around, but not really chasing yet. I did get a nice fat doe too!!!




I hunted my property this morning and saw another new buck I hadnít seen before. He was a real nice 8pt, but just not quite big enough to get shot yet. He came in and was eating corn. He started pushing does around, then would come back to the corn. So, not really chasing hard yet. This went on till all the corn was gone and all the deer left.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like Iím probably going to wait a few more days to head down there. Iím guessing by the end of the week they should be getting fired up. How far down bond were you ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 03:59 AM   #128
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

And congrats on the deer Bisch!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #129
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default Sonora / Sutton County 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
How far down bond were you ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was about 20miles out of town, down by the Canyon Ranch.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #130
Sackett
Pope & Young
 
Sackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Congrats Bisch! The kids have been filling freezers on our place the past week. My daughter and I had to leave Wednesday to head to Louisiana with momma, but we left right when things were getting good. We've seen A LOT more whitetail so far and good numbers of axis.
Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #131
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I was about 20miles out of town, down by the Canyon Ranch.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok not far from us so the deer should be acting about the same. You live off Bond too right Bisch?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #132
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
Ok not far from us so the deer should be acting about the same. You live off Bond too right Bisch?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No sir! I live off Loop 467 about a mile from the Loves truck stop.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #133
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
No sir! I live off Loop 467 about a mile from the Loves truck stop.

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gotcha! Thatís beautiful country up there too!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com