Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #251
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Great buck! Congratulations!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #252
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Nice one Austin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #253
trophy8
Pope & Young

How’s it looking this week? Headed to Brady for thanksgiving and will be hunting our place in Mason. Might skip this evening hunt due to high wind and wind direction.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #254
SanSaba007
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Mature bucks aren’t on the prowl yet. Young bucks are chasing pretty hard, killed this Cull 6 point trailing a doe few days ago.

SanSaba007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #255
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

That's a good one. Congratulations!
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #256
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Following! I got to get my butt out to my lease and get after it!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #257
trophy8
Pope & Young

Gotta love those big 6s. Love hate deal though. Hate they are there. Love mowing them down
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #258
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties
Default 2021-2022 Hill Country Hunting Thread

We just got back from a memorable trip to my folks’ little place outside of Doss. Other than the stomach bug being passed around, it was a great 4 days with family, good food, and great memories made. I took my daughter to sit with me 2 years ago for the first time when she was 3 at my folks’. She made a couple of sits with me in south TX last year, and has been begging me to take her hunting all year. We only bow hunt in Doss, except for the kids, but I talked to my dad about shooting a doe with my daughter in the blind with me so that she could get the full experience, and make sure that she handled it ok. So Friday evening, we went to the same blind she sat in with me 2 years ago, and there were deer there when we got there. I had my .300 Blk pistol and we were looking for a big doe. 5 deer at the feeder when it went off, and 2 minutes after 6 more came in. One of them was a beautiful 11 point, and I noticed he had a wound on his back right be hind the shoulder. I quickly told my daughter we were going to shoot that deer, and we quickly got our hearing protection on. She watched through the bino’s as I squeezed the trigger and dumped him. I immediately looked to see what her reaction was, and is was pure excitement! She was squealing, shaking, and high fiving me as if she’d shot him herself. We calm down (slightly) and a big doe walked out. I asked her if we should shoot her, too, and she says “yeah!!” so I dumped her, too. One of the best hunting experiences I’ve ever had, and I am absolutely stoked to work with her and get her ready for next year. It turns out that the buck was the same deer that my niece shot last Wednesday evening. She’s new to bow hunting, and couldn’t control buck fever when she shot him. I wished she’d have gotten a 2nd chance at him, but it it turned out to be a great memory with my daughter. As soon as my family came to pick us and the deer up, my daughter asked her mom if she could hang the deer in her room, and surprisingly momma said yes. I sugggested a skull mount to my daughter, but she says “no, I want the whole thing like your deer in Pawpaw’s cabin”.

Last edited by txheartshot; 11-28-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Pics didn’t post
txheartshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #259
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Following! I got to get my butt out to my lease and get after it!
Well I did just that!!! (As I quote myself.)
I'm actually on stand now waiting on a mature doe to slip up. Got here Friday afternoon and so far 3 for 3!
No monster bucks on any cameras but this 9 point was 6.5 years old and solid for Stonewall, Texas. I have seen 2 fawns that look super young. Honestly, almost as if just out of spots.....they both looked quite feeble.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #260
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Great job guys!!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #261
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties

Quote:
I'm actually on stand now waiting on a mature doe to slip up. Got here Friday afternoon and so far 3 for 3!
No monster bucks on any cameras but this 9 point was 6.5 years old and solid for Stonewall, Texas. I have seen 2 fawns that look super young. Honestly, almost as if just out of spots.....they both looked quite feeble.

That’s a stud of a buck for Stonewall. Congrats!

txheartshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #262
DizzyTx
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

Personal best so far. Good year for horns. Good year for me. Black Friday afternoon hunt.
Attached Images

DizzyTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM   #263
Pstraw
Ten Point

[QUOTE=txheartshot;15960412]We just got back from a memorable trip to my folks’ little place outside of Doss. Other than the stomach bug being passed around, it was a great 4 days with family, good food, and great memories made. I took my daughter to sit with me 2 years ago for the first time when she was 3 at my folks’. She made a couple of sits with me in south TX last year, and has been begging me to take her hunting all year. We only bow hunt in Doss, except for the kids, but I talked to my dad about shooting a doe with my daughter in the blind with me so that she could get the full experience, and make sure that she handled it ok. So Friday evening, we went to the same blind she sat in with me 2 years ago, and there were deer there when we got there. I had my .300 Blk pistol and we were looking for a big doe. 5 deer at the feeder when it went off, and 2 minutes after 6 more came in. One of them was a beautiful 11 point, and I noticed he had a wound on his back right be hind the shoulder. I quickly told my daughter we were going to shoot that deer, and we quickly got our hearing protection on. She watched through the bino’s as I squeezed the trigger and dumped him. I immediately looked to see what her reaction was, and is was pure excitement! She was squealing, shaking, and high fiving me as if she’d shot him herself. We calm down (slightly) and a big doe walked out. I asked her if we should shoot her, too, and she says “yeah!!” so I dumped her, too. One of the best hunting experiences I’ve ever had, and I am absolutely stoked to work with her and get her ready for next year. It turns out that the buck was the same deer that my niece shot last Wednesday evening. She’s new to bow hunting, and couldn’t control buck fever when she shot him. I wished she’d have gotten a 2nd chance at him, but it it turned out to be a great memory with my daughter. As soon as my family came to pick us and the deer up, my daughter asked her mom if she could hang the deer in her room, and surprisingly momma said yes. I sugggested a skull mount to my daughter, but she says “no, I want the whole thing like your deer in Pawpaw’s cabin”.

Congratulations to the young lady !
Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM   #264
Pstraw
Ten Point

Quote:

Nice buck, Oscar. Congratulations!
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #265
Tx-Burt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie
Thumbs up Great weekend at the lease

Had my 2 boys and my granddaughter Saturday at the lease. My son has been wanting to take his daughter hunting, still little young to shoot, but enjoys sitting in the stand watching the deer. Well he connected on a nice 10 and set the mood in camp this weekend. Good times with family and friends. Another good deer for Stonewall area.
Attached Images

Tx-Burt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #266
Pstraw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Burt View Post
Had my 2 boys and my granddaughter Saturday at the lease. My son has been wanting to take his daughter hunting, still little young to shoot, but enjoys sitting in the stand watching the deer. Well he connected on a nice 10 and set the mood in camp this weekend. Good times with family and friends. Another good deer for Stonewall area.
Congratulations!
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #267
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

Congratulations on all the successful hunts so far!

A little late for the add, but my daughter connected with a decent 8 point for Kerr County during the gun opener on 11/6/21.

He walked in from the draw below us at 4:30 pm with his back turned to towards us and never stopped. 2 minutes later he had circled back around to the feeder with a doe in sight. He stopped just long enough for a clean shot. Using her grandpa's 25-06, she dropped him where he stood!

Gotta love a Hill Country sunrise!

kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #268
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano, Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyTx View Post
Personal best so far. Good year for horns. Good year for me. Black Friday afternoon hunt.
Awesome deer, love the split G2 and the long brow tines!
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #269
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Son wacked this 6 yr old cull this weekend it’s his best Whitetail to date. Had. 4 year old 150 class buck several 3 year olds and a young doe at the feeder when he came in ears laid back and took the place over.
Congrats on your sons buck! A good one indeed. I gotta get over to see ya when I am back in town.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:52 AM   #270
DizzyTx
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

Quote:
Originally Posted by droebuck View Post
Awesome deer, love the split G2 and the long brow tines!
Thanks. He had a gross of 145 with 19 1/2 inside spread. 11 point
DizzyTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #271
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano, Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyTx View Post
Thanks. He had a gross of 145 with 19 1/2 inside spread. 11 point
That's a dang fine deer anywhere but especially in the hill country.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top