RV Electrical HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Electrical HELP!

Jayco Jay flight hooked up at old lease for 5 years, no issues at all with the electrical. Lost lease moved trailer to new lease. Set everything up, plugged in power all good, then this very loud siren sounded. The breaker labeled GFCI REFER Ceiling Fan turned the alarm off. Then when I plugged in my water heater, I got back feed shock on the metal of the actual trailer. I unplugged everything. I don't know about the electrical at the new lease. We were temporarily using other guys hook up (his trailer is gone right now) and this happened. Is this my trailer issue or power issue on site. The
    RV place called this "hot skin" when getting back feed thru the trailer. How do I FIX? I am going back this weekend and wiring in my OWN 30amp plug, so I know that will be good no matter what. Is this a possible bad trailer power cord? Come loose, etc.?

I know when the GFCI REFER Ceiling Fan breaker was thrown, I had no power to my GFCI plugs in the trailer. I have no ceiling fans, etc, so I assume this breaker is the main control of the GFCI's. My main worry is why the electrical back feed to the trailer?

Comment

Is the trailer “ hard wired” where it goes into the trailer or is there a cord that plugs in and then goes to power source?

Comment

Maybe Carey will chime in. Many years ago when using a 20amp two prong receiver you got feed back you just turned the plug over if that makes sense.

Comment

The dealer did say it sounded like the plug was wired backwards, but this guys has been using this plug for his trailer for some time. My cord is hard wired to my trailer, then I had a 50 ft. 30 amp RV ext cord plugged in.

Comment

I did the PP knocked out of me when I grabbed the metal frame to the door. That's when I unhooked everything.

Comment

Get a surge protector, it will tell u when u plug it in if there's a problem with the wiring

Comment

Maybe the new lease plug is wired wrong

Comment

Get the pedestal plug checked

Comment

Old trailer cord and plug are probably wired wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                      Old trailer cord and plug are probably wired wrong.
                      Please explain this.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Mabye the hot and neutral are in the wrong spots

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                          Please explain this.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
                          The hot/neutral could be reversed on both and it would be fine, until a correctly wired cord was plugged in.

Comment

Take a voltage meter and check to see how the old plug is wired. Hot to hot and both hots to ground. You will probably find what others have said about the hot and neutral have been swapped.

Comment

Maybe check the connection from the section cord to system wiring inside. The junction box. I have seen the get pulled loose when setting up and pulling cord out

Comment

Working...
                              X