POWDERHORN 2022 hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POWDERHORN 2022 hunt

Starting a thread for any of us lucky enough to draw this year. I will be at here in December and hope to learn something from those who have stepped on this property since they started allowing hunts.

I know nothing about sambar except they’re big,tasty, and apparently like water.

Please teach me what you know about hunting POWDERHORN.

Looking though old threads a lot of side by sides out there. I paid for my permit immediately and got a packet and it said nothing about what you can bring. I own a good 4x4 atv and a 2wd truck but not UTV/ side by side. Not sure if they’re still allowing them?. Did they allow atv in the past or just utv?

Where’d y’all sleep? Didn’t say anything about camping which I prefer and have on other hunts so I’m assuming it’s gonna be hotel option only?
    Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 09-16-2022, 08:24 PM.

UTV only in the past.

No camping allowed, unless they open the state park by that time but I doubt it. Port O’Connor has a few options of airBnB, Captains Quarters, a Motel, as does Seadrift, and Port Lavaca. All would be within 15 min of Powderhorn.

I’ve literally been to almost every hunt for a standby spot... and I still have yet to be drawn! Haha.

Comment

Sitting on 14 exotic PPs and have done stand by once. Stand by odds are better than general draw I think.

I have a buddy with a house to a spot to crash isn't an issue for us

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Grats and good luck!!

Comment

I drew Powderhorn last year, my Dad drew the standby spot. We both shot stags.

The first few hours we drove around safari style in our truck, one person in the back glassing the water holes to get a feel for our compartment. They literally look like cows out in the water milling around.

The water holes that were off the beaten path and secluded are the best spots. You will see plenty of female sambar, I would wait until the second day evening at least to take one. From the conversation I had with the staff, there are fewer stags left than previous years.

I recommend the following gear-

-Good binos
          -Quality knee high water boots (absolute must have to spot and stalk)
          -Shooting sticks
          -Thermacell
          -3 good sized coolers
          -small tripod seat
          -Havalon knife, saws all

Hunt all day long. Pack a lunch and hit the trails to the secluded ponds during the day. Sit in the blinds for sun up, I saw deer every morning from mine.

The hunt went by really fast for me because I was hunting hard to leave with a stag. My dad shot his the first evening, I got mine the second evening as a storm rolled in.

Do a lot of scouting, look for the deeper ponds with visible water as that seemed to be the ticket. Setup on the edge of those ponds around 4 or so and sit till dark. Take plenty of pictures, we did not.

We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge that had free ice machine and was a clean/cheap/safe place.

Review the thread from last year, plenty of good info.

Comment

we stayed in a vrbo in POC.

take plenty of knives or blades, we went through a bunch on 2 sambar.

the above post right on.

Comment

My son drew for the youth GDE hunt in Jan so we'll be there then. Save a stag for him. He's never shot anything with antlers so if he can get anything ... whitetail, sambar, axis he'll be thrilled.

Comment

This is great information. Thank you.
                I’ll be solo but was given the idea of scout info out of the back of the truck by another member from previous hunt.
                This is my dads first year he said not to put him in for apps. He said he’s too old and I get drawn at an awesome place. Bittersweet for sure. I’ll look up that hotel. I have good rubber boots, havalon, and a few good fixed blades, and shooting sticks, my most powerful Binos are 10x though. I’ll check with a few buddies about borrowing some powerful ones to leave in the truck. I need to start practicing with the shooting sticks
                Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post

The first few hours we drove around safari style in our truck, one person in the back glassing the water holes to get a feel for our compartment. They literally look like cows out in the water milling around.

The water holes that were off the beaten path and secluded are the best spots. You will see plenty of female sambar, I would wait until the second day evening at least to take one. From the conversation I had with the staff, there are fewer stags left than previous years.

-Good binos
                -Shooting sticks
                -Thermacell
                -3 good sized coolers
                -small tripod seat
                -Havalon knife, saws all

Hunt all day long. Pack a lunch and hit the trails to the secluded ponds during the day. Sit in the blinds for sun up, I saw deer every morning from mine.

The hunt went by really fast for me because I was hunting hard to leave with a stag. My dad shot his the first evening, I got mine the second evening as a storm rolled in.

Do a lot of scouting, look for the deeper ponds with visible water as that seemed to be the ticket. Setup on the edge of those ponds around 4 or so and sit till dark. Take plenty of pictures, we did not.

We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge that had free ice machine and was a clean/cheap/safe place.

Comment

Everything has been covered me and Jbarr hunter it a few years back. The stag are the easy kill it’s their axis to me that are the trophy. Keep your head on swivel there’s animals everywhere

Comment

We stayed in an AirB&B in Port OConnor. Be aware that there is nowhere to eat after 9pm there, so plan on taking something. It was the best TPWD hunt I have been on.

Comment

My daughter was lucky enough to draw a youth hunt. Question for those that have gone. Will any of the staff help if you shoot one. She is not very big so I will pretty much be on my own. Didn’t know if someone was there to help load it if we would be on our own and I needed to bring something to help get it loaded. Are side x sides allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                        My daughter was lucky enough to draw a youth hunt. Question for those that have gone. Will any of the staff help if you shoot one. She is not very big so I will pretty much be on my own. Didn’t know if someone was there to help load it if we would be on our own and I needed to bring something to help get it loaded. Are side x sides allowed?
                        my buddy and older son were on our utv in a different part of the ranch when my younger son shot his spike. i called them and let them know we had one down and they came and picked us up and gave us a ride back to HQ with it. they use a winch to pull it up into the bed. i did have to drag that thing through the water for a couple hundred yards to dry ground and it sucked lol.

so they will help, but depending on how busy they, you may have to wait for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post

-Good binos
                          -Shooting sticks
                          -Thermacell
                          -3 good sized coolers
                          -small tripod seat
                          -Havalon knife, saws all

We were at Powderhorn the same time and had the pleasure of meeting deerslay3r and his father. Great people. I would have to agree with everything he stated here. We had the opportunity to take shots at axis, Sambar, WT and pigs. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out. We took our boat to do some fishing before the hunt and also stayed in an Airbnb that backed up to the fence of Powderhorn. Only thing I would add is making sure your rubber boots are snake proof or bring some snake proof chaps as we ran into a couple. This is a hunt of a lifetime and was my favorite hunt by far. We were able to take three Sambar stags, a WT, and a pig.

Here’s some pics to get you fired up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's the link to our 2021 Powderhorn Live Hunt:

No fishing was actually done as we got to BS'n with other TBH members and enjoyed a few cold beverages.
                              Last edited by Jzoch; 09-27-2022, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X