Bolt tight to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
    I’d try it against another factory round of another flavor and see if it is still tight. If it’s fixed, you might be able to take some calipers to the suspected case and see if the shoulder is a few thousands longer. Odds are it’s not bullet length jamming into the lands, but you can always use a sharpie on the bullet and see if it gets any little nicks on it after chambering. The same can be said for the shoulder of the case, color it black with a sharpie and see if any rubs off after chambering.

Side note, hope you enjoy the 25-06! It’s my favorite caliber and I’m loading for my buddies new 25-06 as well. He even scored some brass from a guy at the range this weekend.
    Thanks! I’m enjoying it so far, but my only regret is that it has a 22” barrel (I wish it was 24” or 26”). I’ll make it work until I get it rebarreled in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      Thanks! I’m enjoying it so far, but my only regret is that it has a 22” barrel (I wish it was 24” or 26”). I’ll make it work until I get it rebarreled in a couple of years.
      Yeah a 24” would be nice but the 22” will get it done too.

Wasn’t thinking in my original post that you said it was two different types of ammo that were tight. Rules out my course of action.

Comment

Be careful with this, I had the issue with a Tikka CTR on some Winchester ammo and took to a gunsmith who had a slam fire with a bullet shooting through his ceiling. I personally think his finger hit the trigger but he slammed the bolt and said that made the rifle fire. I was about 4' away from the gun which was pointed at a 45 degree angle, maybe one of the scarier moments of my life. Because of this I also dropped in a Timney which allowed me to work the bolt action with the gun on safety unlike the factory trigger.

Comment

Had the same issue with Hornady 6.5x55 in a Ruger Hawkeye. Everything thing else, Federal, S&B, PPU, my handloads were all good. The Hornadys were uncomfortably tight closing the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by B Lasater View Post
            Be careful with this, I had the issue with a Tikka CTR on some Winchester ammo and took to a gunsmith who had a slam fire with a bullet shooting through his ceiling. I personally think his finger hit the trigger but he slammed the bolt and said that made the rifle fire. I was about 4' away from the gun which was pointed at a 45 degree angle, maybe one of the scarier moments of my life. Because of this I also dropped in a Timney which allowed me to work the bolt action with the gun on safety unlike the factory trigger.
            Yikes. I took a rifle to a gunsmith over bolt closure before and the first thing he did was remove the firing pin.

Comment

Working...
            X