Ground blind vs saddle hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saintsfan View Post
    Ive been hunting from a turkey blind while sitting in a turkey chair. This blocks most of your movement, allows for 360 degree visibility and you can pick up and move in minutes. As an added bonus, this setup is very comfortable. Ive killed more deer from these set ups over the past 5 years than any other method. Oh yeah and this set up is cheap, 60 bucksish.
    What does your set-up look like?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      If I do this I am making my own platform. Is bigger always better? I have sz 13 feet and belly. I am not as limber as I once was.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
      Don’t go that route. Not worth it. Especially when you can get a Trophyline EDP 11x13” or the mission 13x18”. Either one is under $200. I’m 315 pounds with size 13 boot and I’ve used both. They’ll hold me just fine and I stand unsupported when I shoot.

Thought about making my own platform back in the day - just made way more sense to buy one and call it good.

Don’t focus too heavily on the gear - there’s a whole forum dedicated to that obsession. Tons of YouTube videos. That’s a rabbit hole that’s gonna eat up your focus and money.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
        What does your set-up look like?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
        Below is the chair and blind I use. I always sit with my back against a large tree or a ridge and sometimes brush up the blind a little.

The Throwdown is a turkey hunting blind that does just what you'd expect: gets you ready for gobblers and predators to roll in within seconds.
        Last edited by saintsfan; 09-15-2022, 09:55 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
          Don’t go that route. Not worth it. Especially when you can get a Trophyline EDP 11x13” or the mission 13x18”. Either one is under $200. I’m 315 pounds with size 13 boot and I’ve used both. They’ll hold me just fine and I stand unsupported when I shoot.

Thought about making my own platform back in the day - just made way more sense to buy one and call it good.

Don’t focus too heavily on the gear - there’s a whole forum dedicated to that obsession. Tons of YouTube videos. That’s a rabbit hole that’s gonna eat up your focus and money.
          We might be doppelgangers. thanks for the advice!

Comment

I have a saddle hunting setup I'm going to start using this year(used a hang on previously) but also hunt from the ground some depending on terrain, cover etc. On the ground I don't like fully enclosed popup blinds at all. I have a ghost blind and a Double Bull 3 panel stakeout blind. Those are much easier to carry around, easier to conceal, lower profile, not as hot in early season and I just don't like sitting in a small enclosure for long periods of time. I shot my nilgai in south texas last year using the ghost blind which worked great down there. At Richland Creek I'll be up in a tree in a saddle.

Comment

Ground blind vs saddle hunting

I’ve done saddle hunting for the past 4 years but I’m going back to a stand/hybrid method.

When you factor in platform and pack weight you’re not far off the weight from one of the ultralight treestands.

As to a ground blind, I’ve killed deer on public using them but 95% of the time when I put one up I immediately notice the deer activity cut down, and I have never killed a mature buck out of one.

Here’s what I carry instead

They’re in roughly 3 foot sections

I carry a big knife for cutting brush or clearing shooting lanes so if I wanna hunt from the ground, I just drive these in and cut grass and use the bungees to attach the grass/brush to the sticks. Plus they fit on my stand/pack and weigh practically nothing. It’s great for hunting new areas when I may not even find a huntable tree.

Gives me enough cover to draw, but it’s not disruptive enough that deer spot it from 80 yds out like I’ve seen them do with a blind.

Heck, I’ve even used blinds as decoys in some instances when I didn’t want deer coming across a certain area but that was on private.

Deer pattern you more than you’ll ever pattern them on public!

Comment

I have something similar that I have used too from the ground. It is just some 5/16" fiberglass rods with hooks on it and a little bit of camo netting to hang in front of me. Super light and mobile.

As I've been gearing up for saddle hunting the shear number of different items I'm going to have to carry has increased although they seem more compact and lighter weight than carrying a stand around. I'm not very organized so I'm worried that keeping track of everything may be a problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                  I'm not very organized so I'm worried that keeping track of everything may be a problem for me.
                  I am the same way. Trying to get organized for hunting. Probably nothing worse than getting up in a saddle and then reaching for binos or a range finder and leaving it...on the base of the tree? in the cart I biked in with 250 yds away? In the truck? gulp...in Fort Worth?

Comment

I sincerely appreciate all the advice, folks. Thanks. I honestly thought there'd be a lot more saddle folks compared to ground blind folks. But good points brought by everyone.

My main fear is investing in a new system that I won't use a whole lot. I don't have a lease because I'd rather spend time with my family, so I really only do the drawn hunts. When my boy is old enough to go with me, I would probably have a lease, or public land hunt more often, but then I should be on the ground with him not in a tree by myself... Maybe he gets his own saddle and we hunt the same tree? Hadn't thought about that...

Comment

See if there’s anyone local to at least let you try their saddle.

I have a tethrd phantom, a sit drag (DIY), and a dryad. Idk where you live in DFW but I’m close to Haltom City if you wanna try em out at some point at a local park. I have the predator XL platform.

I’d offer for it to be this weekend but the family and I are enjoying a lovely strain of the Covid at the moment [emoji849].

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                        See if there’s anyone local to at least let you try their saddle.

I have a tethrd phantom, a sit drag (DIY), and a dryad. Idk where you live in DFW but I’m close to Haltom City if you wanna try em out at some point at a local park. I have the predator XL platform.

I’d offer for it to be this weekend but the family and I are enjoying a lovely strain of the Covid at the moment [emoji849].

Sorry to hear you are sick! We are just over in Hurst. I will PM you my phone number and if you are free in a few weeks maybe we can connect.

Comment

Working...
                        X