Worm gear winch up ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worm gear winch up ????

Anyone have any pictures of a winch up feeder with worm drive that you can use a battery powered driver? Looking for advice on pulleys what type of drill/ driver impact works best. I have a regular winch up but as I’m getting older looking for an easier version or may have to go to stand and fill TIA.

I just tried this. I’m going the boat winch route now. My feeder holds 500lbs and my dewalt wont pick it up. Maybe a big impact would do it, I’m not sure. I kept the handle to do it manually if the drill failed or battery died. I’m sure I would still be there cranking if I didn’t quit, that was Sunday. It’s entirely too slow to do manually.

Comment

Definitely the way to go. I have them on our feeders and they are a lifesaver as you get older. I bought mine at the feed store in Mason Texas but Hang M High feeders has them as well on their website. They are also available on Amazon. Mine came with a socket and driver to use on an electric drill. I tried using an impact that you use to drive screws but found that a regular drill worked much smoother. The drill has to be set on drill and not on the clutch mode. It takes just a few minutes to wind one down and up. Even with a full barrel (300 lbs) it has no problem in getting it up to the top. If you have more than one feeder to fill, it's best to have several fully charged batteries that you take along. You can also use a 12v battery charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter to charge the depleted batteries as you drive to the next feeder. I'll check on the model number and post it later to give you more information. You will not regret making the change.

Comment

Add a few pulleys between barrel and top of tripod, increases the number of times you have to turn the handle but reduces how hard handle is to turn. I imagine a decent impact could turn it with 3 pulleys.

If your frame is strong enough you could add a loop to the cable and use atv winch to pull up barrel, secure loop to frame, release winch and barrel hangs

Comment

I saw that whole double pulley and worm drive instead of the old boat winch type, was looking for pictures of either or all setups, I’ve seen the hang ‘em high feeders too was just thinking of modifying what I have

Comment

And use bigger, better quality pulleys.

I started out with zinc ones you bought from home depot, but they would only last a couple years. They would typically wear out the wheel and get jammed up. Even worse, they would jam me up and break, causing the barrel to come crashing down.

Also, the larger the wheel in the pulley, the easier the pull.

I am using ones like this now and they have been good so far for a couple years.

If you go boat winch, make sure it is a brake winch design. The regular winches are a recipe for a disaster/someone to get really hurt.
            Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-12-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I agree with quality pulleys.

A heavy coat of heavy duty grease out of a spray can helps with longevity of pulleys. Coat the entire dang thing, and cable while it's on the spool.

Lock is definitely nice but cheap ones break quick. With 3 pulleys it will not fall extremely fast, unless cable breaks.

Comment

What brand of worm gear winch do yall recommend? I need a new winch for my winch up feeder and need some ideas. Also, where do yall buy the winch?

Comment

Comment

worm winch for drill https://ultramaticfeeders.com/produc...dapter-wg1500/

pulley https://ultramaticfeeders.com/produc...-winch-feeder/

real stainless steel cable https://ultramaticfeeders.com/produc...steel-37-feet/

All above American Made

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrakarl View Post
                      There you go!

Comment

Thanks I was looking at those particular winches but wanted the pulley set up!!!

Comment

I built two with the HF worm drive winches. They work but not impressed. We have two types at my current lease. One type uses a boat winch. As long as you don't let go of the handle they work fine. The other type uses a self braking winch. No worries if you let go of the winch handle. All of the barrels have a snatch block on the barrel so the winch line is two parted. The feeders are all 55 gal barrels that hold 300# of corn.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                              I just tried this. I’m going the boat winch route now. My feeder holds 500lbs and my dewalt wont pick it up. Maybe a big impact would do it, I’m not sure. I kept the handle to do it manually if the drill failed or battery died. I’m sure I would still be there cranking if I didn’t quit, that was Sunday. It’s entirely too slow to do manually.

I guess my drill was on its last leg. I bought a new Dewalt and it winched the feeder up no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X