Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Release

So other than the way they are held and the finger used to activate the release, what is the difference between a trigger release and a thumb release? Is it just preference of equipment? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? I've never used a thumb release but am contemplating a thumb release depending on what I learn from the Ole GS "experts" 😁

Don’t know why, but I became more accurate. Another consideration, it is very convenient, just leave attached to your bow. If you go to thumb release it will change your anchor and sights.

Comment

I much prefer a thumb release. Give one a try, you may like, or you may not, its all-personal preference.

Comment

No expert...I use a 4 finger thumb release with a back tension type action. I put my thumb lightly on the barrel and squeeze off the trigger by pulling back with my third and pinkie fingers. Keeps me from punching my thumb. I am getting old and have the yips and TP. This is what works for me anyways.

Comment

Love me some thumb releases. Loved the two finger back tension Stan 30+ years ago.

Comment

It's possible to have a surprise release with an index finger release, but it's difficult. I personally benefitted greatly from switching to a thumb and a hinge. Of course, everybody's different.

Comment

Generally the sear is much crisper on a hand held release, and the trigger tension is IMO more readily fine tuned in a handheld release. Anchor point it easier to find and more repeatable.

YOu also will be able to actually find and shoot your true draw length. Meaning, with a wrist release, your hand is usually behind your neck and the knuckle of your trigger finger locked under your jaw. A set up like that is a sure sign of DL too long. And when you try to shoot with a handheld release your whole hand will be behind your head, and very uncomfortable. YOu will physically have to lessen your DL to find a repeatable anchor point. That is why a lot of people say it changes your DL, but it was probably too long to start with.

If you make the change and stay committed you will probably enjoy it very much, and probably shoot a little better also.

Comment

I just switched to a thumb release earlier this year. More than anything I just hated having the release around my wrist always in the way or seemingly clanking on everything(I had one that folded back but still hated it). I like the thumb release better and it didn't take any time at all to get use to it. I'm using a TruBall Rave which so far has been good for me. I just ordered a custom kydex sheath/holster for it from a guy on Etsy so I can keep it on my bino harness or belt when it isn't on my string.

Comment

It’s great for repeatability. Some people also have good luck not punching it like they do with a wrist rocket. Keeping it on your d loop is a nice bonus as well. The nock 2 it was the best feeling one to me, next up was the carter wise choice 3 finger

Me personally, I can shoot it fine on targets but get a critter in front of me and that knob might be sheared off. Punch it just as bad as a wrist rocket. So I shoot a hinge

Best thing is to go to a shop and shoot every one they have
                  Last edited by kd350; 07-26-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice yall. I think I will just go to a bow shop and see which one feels more comfortable and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                      Thanks for the advice yall. I think I will just go to a bow shop and see which one feels more comfortable and go from there.
                      Yes try a bunch of releases. Also, have them put different size knobs on them too. And position the knob to fit your thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                        Yes try a bunch of releases. Also, have them put different size knobs on them too. And position the knob to fit your thumb.
                        That's good to know thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Do they make a left handed “hinge “ release. Thinking of dropping the wrist rocket that I’ve had for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            Do they make a left handed “hinge “ release. Thinking of dropping the wrist rocket that I’ve had for decades.
                            All hinges and thumb releases that I know of are ambidextrous. All you do is swap the side that the barrel or thumb piece is on.

Comment

Working...
                            X