ranch land leasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ranch land leasing

Hoping for some guidance from knowledgeable folks. My father has a little under 400 acres in Grimes county about half way between Huntsville and College Station. He's been approached from several local ranchers about leasing the property for grazing cattle. I don't have any experience with this and an trying to help him wade through everything involved. Hoping there are some people on this site with experience in this that may be able to help with approx price per acre, owner and lessee responsibilities, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What ever he decides make sure he has provisions that limits the number of cows a lessee can put on it. I saw a friend of mine lease his and he "assumed" the guy leasing it would only put about 150 cows on it. The guy had 300 on it and literally wipe his grass out, then took the cows off after a growing season. A provision to do spot inspections and to have cows removed immediately for any violation of the agreement. Is the lessee responsible for the upkeep of the fence while the cows are on it? Have him do a walk around the perimeter and take pictures of any lengths that are questionable. Also check the gates. There is a lot more to being a lessor than a lot of folks will say there is. Will you be responsible for damages if any of the lessee's cows get loose and get hit by a car or get into another guys pasture or garden or tear something else up? Will your Dad require liability insurance by lessor?

Comment

It depends.
      How much woods.
      How much improved pasture.
      How much native pasture.
      Does it have working pens.
      Is fencing good
      Is it cross fenced for rotating.
      These are a few that will determine the price.
      If cattle market is good the pasture will be worth more.
      If not good and in a drought less.
      But if it has grass in this drought you can lease it.

Comment

Make sure you have a written contract
        I would also be very concerned about water sources.

If I was leasing mine it would be to someone I had some serious references that I checked out. I would talk to any neighbors or friends first before I leased it to a stranger.

I leased mine to a neighbor and his son for 30 yrs. Great people who never gave me an ounce of problems. He kept the cows out during hunting season also

BTW I would be sure hunting rights were specifically excluded. If I own the land I want the exclusive hunting rights. You can lease them or hunt it yourself.

Hope you have the same luck I did

Comment

I’m interested if it doesn’t work out with any of the other guys. Good lease pasture is hard to come by.

Comment

We always leased price per acre, we maintained fences, pens and pastures. If the place needed new fencing, we paid for the fence but prorated 20yrs, you sell or we lose lease in 5yrs, you owe us 75% of fence cost. Same with improved pastures if we planted coastal. We’ve been leasing the same properties for decades.

Comment

Dont forget the start day and end day for the removal of cattle before deer season if you desire, my Dad ran a 15,000 acre ranch outside of Laredo. The Cowman could put his cows in on March 01. but they all had to be removed by Labor day. The funny item in the contract stipulated cows not exposed. no bulls, just cows. So they would bring in 1500 head of cattle, and then load 1500 head of cattle. any leftovers went to the freezer. I loved helping on that ranch. Like they mentioned above, the Cowman was responsible for the fences, water, feeding stations, and any damage to the deer feeding stations if the cattle would knock over any protein stations.

Comment

I think we get $18 an acre for 100 acres No contract. Neighbor kid Actually he is very respectful to our land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate all the responses! Can always count on the Green Screen for help!

Comment

Working...
                  X