Clear All

Update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Curious mind in for update

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Threading a barrel old school. You would use copper strips or similar metal between the chuck jaws and barrel to prevent the steel jaws from marking the barrel. I don’t have a clue as to how it’s done if using cnc.
        Collet with a sleeve.

Comment

I agree with this statement hole heartedly. I'm no machinist but This damage was done by the jaws on the lathe or jig while they were being threaded. That was not done during shipping. Damage like that during shipping would of had the box torn to pieces and shreded. The fact both are in the same place on the barrels tells me improper mounting while threading.

Andrew

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
          That kind of damage was not done in packaging. Those marks take significant force to make. Looks like it was done in some sort of press or jig when someone didn’t know what they were doing. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
            I agree with this statement hole heartedly. I'm no machinist but This damage was done by the jaws on the lathe or jig while they were being threaded. That was not done during shipping. Damage like that during shipping would of had the box torn to pieces and shreded. The fact both are in the same place on the barrels tells me improper mounting while threading.

Andrew

I don’t think either scenario is the case looks more like they were dropped onto something or more likely something was dropped onto them.

Comment

Sounds like gunsmith may be trying to get you to get UPS to pay for his screw up. He may or may not have known it happened; I could see it happen either way.

Comment

I'm with the majority that think those happened in the shop.

Comment

I made the claim to ups regardless can’t blame anyone solely, I have speculation as well. Waiting to hear back from UPS. Then I’ll reach out to the machinist to settle up. If no reasonable resolution is reached i guess I’ll go from there.

Comment

I ship my barrels in a PVC tube, and expect them back. May be a little hard with the action on one. Just prevents any outside damage. UPS claims are useless, I have been screwed more times than one.

Comment

Andrew

I believe this is your answer. There was likely some foreign metal in the chuck of the lathe/mill/CNC/barrel vise and it put those marks on the barrel.

Comment

Andrew
                        Not to mention........I would assume whatever damaged the barrel would have to be harder than the metal the barrel is made of right?

and as mentioned the damage is VERY close to being the same shape and size. What are the chances of something hitting the barrel that close the twice?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Not to mention........I would assume whatever damaged the barrel would have to be harder than the metal the barrel is made of right?

and as mentioned the damage is VERY close to being the same shape and size. What are the chances of something hitting the barrel that close the twice?
                          yea but barrels aren't very hard at all.

Comment

Just my personal experience with UPS, since he shipped it back they are going to make him have to file the claim, not you. My friend drove home with my boat keys once and mailed them back through his Overhead Doors business (thank God because that made them insured through a company contract). Long story short, they delivered my keys to definitely not me and UPS covered to have them remade, but Overhead Doors had to file the claim for me. I'd recommend getting on the machinist to get to work filing the claim, although I agree with everyone else as far as that damage was done in the shop most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Bingo!
                              Laws of probability that a falling object would leave identical
                              Mark’s in exact locations ??
                              The gunsmith using a vice probably

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                I believe this is your answer. There was likely some foreign metal in the chuck of the lathe/mill/CNC/barrel vise and it put those marks on the barrel.

That was my exact thought too. I think he knows what happened and doesn’t want to eat the cost but like I mentioned before he said he’s willing to make it right… I’ll go the ups claim first then see what he says. I’d like to keep using him stuff happens we are all human. Other than some bad marks they are still functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X