Let off Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let off Question

Seems like all of the newer bows have let off adjustments 70-85% 70-90% etc.

My question is why is there a desire for an adjustable let off? Why would someone want to set it at 70% when it could be at 85%?

Higher let off makes it easier to hold full draw longer but generally speaking you will hold more steady with a lower let off. That’s why target bows are normally lower let off than hunting bows. It’s personal preference though. Some people don’t like the feel of a really high let off, some people it doesn’t bother. Also, prior to 2022 anything over 80% let off was illegal to hunt with in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
      Higher let off makes it easier to hold full draw longer but generally speaking you will hold more steady with a lower let off. That’s why target bows are normally lower let off than hunting bows. It’s personal preference though. Some people don’t like the feel of a really high let off, some people it doesn’t bother. Also, prior to 2022 anything over 80% let off was illegal to hunt with in Colorado.
      Ahh I didn’t think about the steadiness when holding. I’m gonna have to mess with mine and see what difference it makes for me. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodray12 View Post
        Ahh I didn’t think about the steadiness when holding. I’m gonna have to mess with mine and see what difference it makes for me. Thanks for the input.
        Yeah not uncommon for target rigs to be 65%. There's always a trade off of holding steady vs holding long and having enough valley to wait on an animal to present the right shot. Also, not a hard fast rule, as a rule, higher letoff is more difficult to smoothly and controllably let down if you need to.

Comment

Lower let off also gives a more solid back wall, and doesnt feel as spongy when holding. This really helps a shooter pull through the shot and created a very repeatable anchor point.

Comment

I prefer 65-75 myself. I hold in the wall better and execute shot better. And if I have to let down the jump is more of a control

Comment

At one point Colorado only allowed 80%. I think they have since changed it, but I'd imagine other western states have similar laws.

Comment

Good info. Hoping for some tighter groups with the lower let off. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Much easier to hold at full draw longer with a higher % let off. As was mentioned, some states have or had limits for the let off. I have two Triax's. One setup for 75 and the other is 80.

Comment

I agree with the above, I think the lower let off on my prime bows have helped me be a better shooter. But I recently shot a new bowtech and forgot how nice higher letoff is.

Comment

i prefer a higher let off in my hunting bows. Allows me to hold for the right angle or shot opportunity

Comment

I was putting my new Hoyt through its paces, the 85% was comfortable, the 80% held better, but was a tad jumpy for me. So I put aftermarket stops on and got it between the two, a bit more valley, and a bit more holding weight than the 85%. This is why Elite's micro letoff adjust is actually a really useful feature.

Comment

Great question and excellent answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                            I was putting my new Hoyt through its paces, the 85% was comfortable, the 80% held better, but was a tad jumpy for me. So I put aftermarket stops on and got it between the two, a bit more valley, and a bit more holding weight than the 85%. This is why Elite's micro letoff adjust is actually a really useful feature.
                            I've been debating moving mine from 80% to 75% just because of this issue. It gets worse as you reduce let off?

When I draw, I hate slamming against the back wall, and I was thinking reducing let off might fix that.

Comment

As you reduce letoff two things tend to happen: 1) less valley, 2) less "dump" into the back wall. Depending on how harsh the dump is it can be very noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                              X