No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out for the first time of the season. Checked my camera and my SD card reader for my iPhone didn’t work (if anyone has recommendations on one please let me know).

Got settled in a tree in my first year saddle hunting. Didn’t see any deer but heard what I thought were pigs at first light. Spotted a fox later in the morning.

Glad my new gear held up and felt somewhat comfortable. I was pretty bummed until I got home and used the SD card reader on my laptop and saw there was a couple doe and fawns in that exact spot just at 1-2am.

It appears most of the deer photos were from 1-2am and later in the afternoon. Hopefully in a few weeks they will travel during the day while it’s cooler.

Happy hunting!

Comment

My first sit will be the 15th, after Granger draw and the 16th.
      Lots of deer on the camera twice a day even after opening weekend.
      Getting excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        My first sit will be the 15th, after Granger draw and the 16th.
        Lots of deer on the camera twice a day even after opening weekend.
        Getting excited.
        Congrats on the Granger draw! I’m surprised you’re still hunting after that there are so many deer out there you’re going to need 2 more freezers! Jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar308 View Post
          Long time lurker on here, been hunting Somerville the past 3yrs.

This was my first time going opening weekend. I normally saddle hunt, but found an old ladder stand when scouting last month; got real scarred when @Hoggwild said he finally collected his old stand that had a bunch of sign near it, but turns out the stand I found was still there.

Heard a deer snorting right at first light, never did see it tho. Came to full draw on a pig, but it was just past 40yds and didn’t feel good for me. Heard some rattling/sparring, but thinking that was a hunter. Heard lots of other pigs in the thicket and decided to finally get down and chase them. We (could see the pigs in there, but no shot) went back and forth a few times and I gave up, it was 10am now.

Went back to the stand to pack up and I heard a bunch of pigs crashing thru the brush. 6-10 ran out and stopped at 30yds, could only see the top of backs in the high grass. Settled the pin and sent one. Thwack, pop! Watched it scatter away and knocked another one because I was going to pursue quickly since I couldn’t see how well the shot was. Then I heard a bunch more commotion, turned 90deg and another 6-10 ran out and stopped. Settled the pin and sent another one. Thwack, pop!

Took me a while to find them, both double lunged and pass thrus, but no blood trail. Both sows, one was good size, 80-90lbs, the other was big, maybe 130-140lbs.
          Not the deer I set out for, but had been unsuccessful out there the past 2 years, and those were the first animals I took with the bow, first while solo hunting, and first on public in TX.

Was that at Nails creek or Yegua?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Long time lurker on here, been hunting Somerville the past 3yrs.

This was my first time going opening weekend. I normally saddle hunt, but found an old ladder stand when scouting last month; got real scarred when @Hoggwild said he finally collected his old stand that had a bunch of sign near it, but turns out the stand I found was still there.

Heard a deer snorting right at first light, never did see it tho. Came to full draw on a pig, but it was just past 40yds and didn’t feel good for me. Heard some rattling/sparring, but thinking that was a hunter. Heard lots of other pigs in the thicket and decided to finally get down and chase them. We (could see the pigs in there, but no shot) went back and forth a few times and I gave up, it was 10am now.

Went back to the stand to pack up and I heard a bunch of pigs crashing thru the brush. 6-10 ran out and stopped at 30yds, could only see the top of backs in the high grass. Settled the pin and sent one. Thwack, pop! Watched it scatter away and knocked another one because I was going to pursue quickly since I couldn’t see how well the shot was. Then I heard a bunch more commotion, turned 90deg and another 6-10 ran out and stopped. Settled the pin and sent another one. Thwack, pop!

Took me a while to find them, both double lunged and pass thrus, but no blood trail. Both sows, one was good size, 80-90lbs, the other was big, maybe 130-140lbs.
            Not the deer I set out for, but had been unsuccessful out there the past 2 years, and those were the first animals I took with the bow, first while solo hunting, and first on public in TX.

Nice! Now that’s a great opening day. Congrats on the pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
              Went out for the first time of the season. Checked my camera and my SD card reader for my iPhone didn’t work (if anyone has recommendations on one please let me know).

Got settled in a tree in my first year saddle hunting. Didn’t see any deer but heard what I thought were pigs at first light. Spotted a fox later in the morning.

Glad my new gear held up and felt somewhat comfortable. I was pretty bummed until I got home and used the SD card reader on my laptop and saw there was a couple doe and fawns in that exact spot just at 1-2am.

It appears most of the deer photos were from 1-2am and later in the afternoon. Hopefully in a few weeks they will travel during the day while it’s cooler.

Happy hunting!

I just use a $12-14 card reader from Amazon. It did crap out on me this summer but it turned out to be a corrupt card. Once I got a new SD card it’s been working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
                Nice! Now that’s a great opening day. Congrats on the pigs.
                Thanks! I’m in Cypress too, Fairfield.

Originally posted by LoganAY View Post
                Was that at Nails creek or Yegua?
                Yegua, near the middle of property.

Comment

Sounds like a good day there!

Comment

Same here. Small world.

Comment

Was fortunate to head out there for the first time yesterday. Blindly went in and saw lots of sign ( poop and tracks) and looks trampled all over. Not sure if it's hunters or animals. Saw an armadillo, a squirrel, bumped a hog and didn't see any deer.

Looks to be very dry. Like bone dry. The ponds that show up on the map are dried out it seems. Not many trees I would be comfortable climbing. The creek is dried out in many places and steep bank.

Hopefully I can go out again to get a better idea of where to actually sit but saw a guy ripping around on an ATV ( not sure what he was doing) and then someone put a blind smack dab in the middle on a clearing. Very visible. Surprised they didn't even try to blend it in. If I can see it, the animals who live there sure can see it as well. I always compare it to someone moving something in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
                        Was fortunate to head out there for the first time yesterday. Blindly went in and saw lots of sign ( poop and tracks) and looks trampled all over. Not sure if it's hunters or animals. Saw an armadillo, a squirrel, bumped a hog and didn't see any deer.

Looks to be very dry. Like bone dry. The ponds that show up on the map are dried out it seems. Not many trees I would be comfortable climbing. The creek is dried out in many places and steep bank.

Hopefully I can go out again to get a better idea of where to actually sit but saw a guy ripping around on an ATV ( not sure what he was doing) and then someone put a blind smack dab in the middle on a clearing. Very visible. Surprised they didn't even try to blend it in. If I can see it, the animals who live there sure can see it as well. I always compare it to someone moving something in my house.

It has been super dry out there. It’s basically impossible to really sneak into any location because everything crunches or snaps beneath your feet. I was able to see 10 deer on Saturday though. No shooter bucks.

Comment

It has been super dry out there. It’s basically impossible to really sneak into any location because everything crunches or snaps beneath your feet. I was able to see 10 deer on Saturday though. No shooter bucks.

10 deer, that's a great day...shooter bucks will come

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was there Saturday as well but must have been in a different area.
                            I know you're the king of Somerville haha. I was hoping to run into you.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
                              I was there Saturday as well but must have been in a different area.
                              I know you're the king of Somerville haha. I was hoping to run into you.

Lol!!! Definitely not the king but I do put in a lot of time scouting areas all year outside hunting season hoping to find the perfect spot. I swear I learn something new every time I go out there.

Comment

I was out there this evening. I finally found water and a lot of tracks in the mud but didn’t see anything. Hopefully I’ll see something soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X