Daughter's first kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter's first kill

This past Saturday, my oldest daughter Lacie and I went out to hunt in our deer blind. We turned out a little before 4 pm. I put some decoys out about 45 yards to the right of our blind. We played cards, drank hot chocolate/apple cider, and kept warm by the Mr Buddy Heater. For about an hour and a half, we didn't see anything. At around 5:30, she noticed a pair of bucks out to the left of us about 150 yards near some trees. I used a grunt tube to try to bring them in closer for a look, and it didn't hurt! One of the two bucks came in a started pacing back and forth about 50 yards from the blind. She asked me what she should do, and I told her that "I didn't know." I didn't want the buck to see her moving the 6.5 Grendel AR into position. His head was at an angle that I was worried about him seeing our movements. I waited until his head was turned away and told her to get ready and flip the safety. After she was in position, I began grunting again to try to get him to stop. He wasn't paying any attention to me. I finally let out a goat baah. He stopped and she was able to squeeze off a shot. She made contact and he ran into the timber.
    We gathered our gear and began to look for a blood trail. We found some turned up dirt and very few blood drops. We decided to go back home, gather the rest of our crew, get some warmer clothes, get our dogs, and get a few more lights. Upon returning to the crime scene, Gena (my wife) and Brett (my son) went with the dogs on a scent trail. Lacie and I followed the blood trail. I was really impressed with her. She found most of the blood drops, which started off scant and got much better. After about a 75 yard run from point of impact, we found her buck. This is after 2-3 chances of missed opportunities, poor communication, and equipment failures. Pics to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Decoys

Comment

Great kill

Comment

Buck found!!!

Comment

Closer pic

Comment

Brett, myself, and Lacie

Comment

good shooting! Congratulations to your daughter

Comment

waydago!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Perfect, memories being made. Congrats to everyone!

Comment

Nice buck, great memories

Comment

Congratulations !!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X