Mauser 98 info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mauser 98 info

I have a Mauser 98 that I inherited from my Dad 23 years ago. My uncle had it built for him when he was stationed in Germany in the late 50's. It was originally a 7x61 Sharpe/Hart but Dad had it reamed to 7mm Rem mag in the 70's when he couldn't get brass to reload. There is no telling how many thousands of rounds have been shot and hundreds of game have been put down with this ol rifle. I'm contemplating having a new barrel put on it and am really leaning towards another caliber using the 06' case. I know the bolt head would have to be changed out but what about the magazine? Would it possibly feed the 06' case correctly being that it was most likely opened up some for the belted magnum? I've heard a lot of talk about the PRC mags etc, but don't know much about them. I figured some gun building experts would have some answers for me. Thanks in advance, Tim

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

All you will need to do, is a new barrel, then probably another bolt, with the .473 bolt face, for the -06 based cartridges.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      All you will need to do, is a new barrel, then probably another bolt, with the .473 bolt face, for the -06 based cartridges.
      That's pretty much what I was hoping. I'm gonna run some 06' cases thru the mag and see if they feed ok. Now, where to get a bolt and who in the greater Austin area to rebarrel? Biggest question is what caliber? I'm really leaning towards a 280, but 270 is hard to beat. Lol

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X