Metal detector hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal detector hobby

Been wanting to get into this for a while. Anyone on here recommend a good starter device?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

you will not belive this but harbor freight. 50.00 use this to get the digging tools you find worked best. then go better.

Comment

I have a always had Garrett detectors been in this for a long time . What area are you from ? There are only a few shops around that you can rent them from to see what you like .

Comment

I have a Garrett 250............. It's an excellent beginners model......
        Cost about 250 as well..........
        I haven't found much, of any value.........
        But, it sure is fun................
        Especially around old buildings and stuff.....(between the back door, and the out-house) .............
        But remember the two cardinal rules...........
        #1-- Always get permission........
        #2---Cover your holes.............
        If there's a club locally...... You might check them out.........
        They sometimes, get permission to hunt areas that you alone
        might not.......

Comment

depends on where you are looking and what you are looking for etc. I currently have at least 5 different ones that I can remember

Comment

Metal detector hobby

Thanks for the Harbor Freight recommendation. My wife and I were just saying we should get one. The reviews are really good on the HF web site.

We live on 30 acres a couple miles from the largest placer (surface) gold strike in Montana history.

The Vigilantes (good guys) hung 23 ‘bad guys’ in the winter of 1863-64. A couple were hung a mile below us in the Cottonwood trees. There’s stories that a lot of their stolen gold was never recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I started metal detecting I did so by jumping in head first with an expensive detector. That was after researching brands a long time. I donÂ’t regret spending the money. My next purchase will be a Minelab. Really was hoping to start searching new areas in a different state before spring. Avoiding venomous snakes is one reason but it’s also easier to dig when grass and weeds are dormant.
              Last edited by Katsaregood; 04-18-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

We bought our daughter a metal detector years ago, from Academy. It has been pretty good. I use it a lot more than she has. Works great for finding lost brass. I have found all types of stuff with her metal detector. I have found stuff, as deep as 2 ft. deep, with that metal detector. Turns out it was a old pan. I can't tell you how well it would work on gold. I have found brass, aluminum, iron, steel, tin, even pot metal, which I think is zinc. If I ever found gold with the metal detector, I would probably flip out.

Comment

I recommend the Garrett Apex for anyone wanting to get started. In my opinion it's the best mid-priced detector on the market at just under $500. It uses multi-frequency technology like the more expensive and very popular Minelab Equinox 600 or 800, but for about half the price. A used Garrett AT-PRO can be bought for about $350-400 and is a good older machine.

I've been detecting with a club for about 25 years, and the biggest mistake I see beginners make is wasting their money on cheap detectors. They usually don't use them for long....either getting discouraged and giving up or quickly realizing they should have bought a better machine and upgrading. Those that are serious about detecting and put in the time to research good areas and get out and hunt will pay for even the most expensive detector in a short time.

I highly recommend joining a club in your area. You can learn a lot about the hobby in a very short time from other members, as well as participate in group hunts on some great sites.
                  I've been fortunate the past few months to have the opportunity to hunt several sites that have been very exciting, digging coins and artifacts from the 1800's and even a few that are likely from the 1700's.

Comment

You can’t go wrong with a Garrett.

Comment

We got a Bounty Hunter detector from Cabela's years ago. We have been pleased with it.

Comment

Take a look at Tesoro, ours has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Garret was out of Dallas area not sure now..,,,Tesoro ,Fisher ,Bounty Hunter, all 4 V G....

Need good ears hearing tells all...some have meter face/some digital but I learned with ears and pretty well had to give up due to bad hearing..Walkin and watching meter face was not for me
                          Last edited by cva34; 04-19-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

awesome info. Im going to do some club searching im my area. Im located in Willis.
                            I have been eyeballing the Garrett brand , i just was not sure.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                              I have a Garrett 250............. It's an excellent beginners model......
                              Cost about 250 as well..........
                              I haven't found much, of any value.........
                              But, it sure is fun................
                              Especially around old buildings and stuff.....(between the back door, and the out-house) .............
                              But remember the two cardinal rules...........
                              #1-- Always get permission........
                              #2---Cover your holes.............
                              If there's a club locally...... You might check them out.........
                              They sometimes, get permission to hunt areas that you alone
                              might not.......
                              This is what I have. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X