Preference Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preference Points

Look at what Oklahoma is doing this year! Wish Texas could work something like this out....

New this year, applicants can choose to add PointGuard or Preference Point Only options when they apply.

PointGuard protects a winning hunter’s preference points and eligibility for future drawings in case the hunter cannot attend the hunt he or she draws. PointGuard is like an insurance policy that costs an additional $5 and can be purchased when applying or before the application deadline.

Preference Point Only (PPO) is for hunters who choose not to enter in a hunt category but still want to obtain an additional preference point for future drawings in that category. PPO is designed for hunters who already know when they apply that they will not be able to attend hunts during certain times of the year if selected for those hunts.

Texas doesn't need a preference point option. Just put into the highest demand hunt and or sometimes the best hunt. you will have a 0.005% chance of drawing with your 10 preference points cubed.

Comment

If you can not make a hunt, just call them and tell them why. They will usually let you keep your points. You can also skip years and not put in, and still keep your points. I have done that.

And best of all, there is no charge if you have to cancel before the hunt fee deadline, just the app fee. Plus, you get a point for the following year, due to paying the app fee.

I've also done as in post #3 above. And if I do get drawn in one of the hunts like post #3, it would be well worth it.

Edit: Let's hope TP&W doesn't catch on to what OK is doing. And add another fee on top of what we are already charged.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-01-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

There is a PPO... apply for the Chap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't put in for multiple hunts with the same dates!

Comment

I wouldn’t change anything about Texas. Texas has one of the best draw systems in the country. Simple, Straight to the point, and a plethora of hunt options.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
              I wouldn’t change anything about Texas. Texas has one of the best draw systems in the country. Simple, Straight to the point, and a plethora of hunt options.

The only two things I’d change is to increase the prices for non-resident applicants and remove the squaring of points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                If you can not make a hunt, just call them and tell them why. They will usually let you keep your points. You can also skip years and not put in, and still keep your points. I have done that.

And best of all, there is no charge if you have to cancel before the hunt fee deadline, just the app fee. Plus, you get a point for the following year, due to paying the app fee.

I've also done as in post #3 above. And if I do get drawn in one of the hunts like post #3, it would be well worth it.

Edit: Let's hope TP&W doesn't catch on to what OK is doing. And add another fee on top of what we are already charged.
                This essentially, we don't need more fees and I'm happy they cubed points last year, now they just need to add more archery tags and open more WMA, SNA and BLM land up to hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

TPWD will not let you keep your points. My case: 2021 Chaparral WMA Javelina hunt. Couldn’t make the drive in the historic ice event. Documented deadly wrecks everywhere. Emailed TPWD to plea case. Their reply was basically “sorry for your luck”. 11 preference points gone on a hunt I couldn’t attend due to conditions out of my control.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                    TPWD will not let you keep your points. My case: 2021 Chaparral WMA Javelina hunt. Couldn’t make the drive in the historic ice event. Documented deadly wrecks everywhere. Emailed TPWD to plea case. Their reply was basically “sorry for your luck”. 11 preference points gone on a hunt I couldn’t attend due to conditions out of my control.
                    Sorry to hear that. Did you have your hunt already paid for? Did you try to contact them before the hunt or after? It it was after you paid the hunt fees, or you tried to contact after the hunt, I could see why you got the answer you did. Think I would have called instead of Emailing. Sometimes it always helps to talk to a person, in person in any situation.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-04-2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Paid the day I got selected and called WMA and emailed them before the hunt and during the ice storm. No luck.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                        Paid the day I got selected and called WMA and emailed them before the hunt and during the ice storm. No luck.

Just a hint (should it happen again), the TP&W office in Austin is the place to call. And not the WMA.

Edit: I hope for the better for you on the next drawing. I'm sure there were lots of folks that had to cancel plans due to the weather that week. Some people had to miss work, and didn't get paid for it. It was a hard week for most folk in some way or another.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-06-2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I called the WMA to notify we could not attend due to weather conditions. I then emailed TPWD asking to have our preference points restored. TPWD HQ denied the request.

Comment

I'm all for the insurance option. Sh** comes up. I would like to see them move the drawings farther out from the actual hunt dates. 30-60 days to plan a 2-3 day hunt and take time off from work can be a little difficult. Most other states draw well in advance and allow for proper planning. As far as a point only option, I would be down for it, but on some of the hunts like Pronghorn, and Mule deer I don't see the point; those are going to be incredibly hard to draw even with 20+ points.

Comment

Texas proghorn draw is the nevada sheep draw of the state. Mule deer is like Arizona elk and whitetail is like Wyoming pronghorn.

Comment

Working...
                              X