Enlisting - Army National Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
    So this thread got me thinking again and apparently having a current inhaler prescription is an automatic DQ according to all the recruiters I talked to Friday and today
    DODI 6130.03
    Section 5.10, Disqualifying conditions. History of airway hyper responsiveness including asthma, reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, after the 13th birthday.

Comment

I agree with a lot of the above comments. You can contract to go straight to OCS. Pick a branch if you can that will provide some civilian benefit. The Chair Force will give you better accommodations, food and will take care of you. If you want to be around war fighter stuff go Army...As an officer, you'll learn that there are amazing NCO's behind every good officer, but you WILL lead from the front. Before you sign anything, contact some of us so you don't get screwed. I didn't join until later in life and I do not regret one ounce of it. Let us help you do it right.

Comment

Not putting you down, but if you join the Guard you can be sent to DC to stand around a fence, sleep in a parking garage, etc. Or you can be sent to the next hurricane zone for 2-weeks to fill sand bags.

I would do whatever is needed to fight for my country, but the crap they are sent to do is not what they signed up for.

Comment

Join up full time army. Knock out 20 years and look back on the adventures you had.

Comment

Quanah11, thank you for all you've given.
            And thanks for being honest with Bobby.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I went the route you are currently looking at. Did 8 years in the TX Army National Guard and medically retired as a Captain after a bad day in Afghanistan prevented me from continuing as an Infantry officer. There is a lot of very good advice on here and I suggest contacting those who are currently serving as they can give you good current advice.

My only suggestion would be to apply for a slot at Ft. Benning for OCS. Texas has a great OCS program and a good friend of mine just left command, but if I were unemployed getting through OCS faster and then pushing for follow on orders to the Basic Officer Leadership Course(BOLC) of your branch would be my priority. That makes you a useful officer for you unit and not just a hang around officer candidate or brand new 2LT who can't do a lot because you haven't been to BOLC yet.

Basic training is going to be 3 months start to finish, then OCS will be 3 months, then BOLC will be 3 to 6 months depending on your branch. If you play it right you can be on orders for most of year with a solid income and health care for you and your family. Between schools and while at BOLC you can apply for jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Quanah11, thank you for all you've given.
                And thanks for being honest with Bobby.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Thank you for the support and
                Yes sir hate to see people step into something they were misguided on

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                  You however will only rate a Hazlewood exemption and it will not be able to transferred to anyone unless you are 100 percent disabled

Slightly Incorrect - Disability is not a determining factor in transferring Hazelewood benefits to one child or splitting them between multiple.

I transferred mine to my daughter and she used them for her BS and MBA.

A Veteran must meet all the eligibility requirements as drawn from the Hazlewood Act Statute and 40 Texas Administrative Code §461:

A Veteran must:

At the time of entry into active duty of the U.S. Armed Forces, (DD Form 214 required) & (40 TAC §461.40)
                  designated Texas as Home of Record;
                  or entered the service in Texas;
                  or was a Texas resident;
                  Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions as indicated on the Veteran’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,
                  Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training);
                  Currently reside in Texas; (40 TAC §461.40) & (40 TAC §461.70)
                  Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;
                  Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
                  Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
                  Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.

A Child (Legacy Act) must:

Be classified by the institution as a Texas resident; (40 TAC §461.70)
                  Be the biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year;
                  Be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition); and
                  Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits; (40 TAC §461.70) & (40 TAC §461.90)
                  Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
                  Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
                  Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.

Comment

Something else to consider is the politics of the military these days.
                    It's worse now than it was when I got out in 1990.

I had 104 days left and was simply waiting on the promotion scores to be released before I made a decision to re-enlist or not.

I had already extended my active duty commitment so that I could DROS stateside and see what stateside duty was like, and I really liked the Army life.

Well, the scores came out and I was 22 points over the cut off for E-6.

E-6 in just 4.5 years and only 24 years old!

The way I saw it, I could easily retire as an E-9 and I made up my mind that day I was doing 20 years!

The words coming out of my company commanders mouth 3 days later still echo in my head today.

"I'm sorry Sargent, but the cut off scores have been rescinded by Dept of Army"
                    "There are too few minorities in your MOS that had the points for promotion"

I calmly told him that if he ever got to Texas to look me up, cause that's were I was headed in 101 days.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      So this thread got me thinking again and apparently having a current inhaler prescription is an automatic DQ according to all the recruiters I talked to Friday and today
                      Just tell the recruiter you are a transexual who doesn't identify as someone who needs an inhaler. Should sail through.

Comment

Working...
                      X