Switch To Thumb Release ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch To Thumb Release ??

Thinking of possibly switching from a wrist release to a thumb release but have a couple questions ::
    1. do you have to move your D-loop ?
    2. does it change your draw length ?
    3. move your peep ?

Any changes that have to be made in the switch or do you just put the wrist release away and start using the thumb release ??

Thanks

only change for me was anchor point. everything else stayed the same

Comment

Interested to hear opinions on this as well.

Comment

I was worried at first but man did it make a difference! I think it helps with many things. Target panic, tighter groups and way more comfortable. My anchor point did not change. D-Loop stays where it’s at as well. I paid $75 for a Scott Pursuit. I love the safety features with it and like the way it feels. I don’t ever plan to go back to wrist release. The Pursuit comes with a wrist strap but I don’t use it.

Make the switch! You won’t regret it.

Comment

Anchor point changed which will change point of impact. I will never go back to a wrist release, thumb all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
            only change for me was anchor point. everything else stayed the same
            ^^^ this

Comment

Good questions.

The release aid does not change your draw length. However the geometry of the release will more than likely not match what you are currently shooting and may feel a little strange at first. When I switched the bow felt a little shorter than with an index release. Give it time-shoot frequently and you will adjust quickly it will just feel a little strange at first. More than likely your current anchor point will change a little. No big deal, again even if you are trying to go back to the exact same spot the change in hand position, facial pressure or angle may cause this to move a tad. The last concerning the peep height is hit or miss. If the anchor point changes then more than likely the peep height may need to be adjusted, just depends on how much it changes vs the previous position.

It’s a switch, but nothing that you can’t handle with a little commitment. Shoot the release exclusively for at least a month before you start making decisions. Just speaking from my own personal exp. switching to a handheld release is still one of the best changes I have made to my archery game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Revelation View Post
                Thinking of possibly switching from a wrist release to a thumb release but have a couple questions ::

3. move your peep ?

Any changes that have to be made in the switch or do you just put the wrist release away and start using the thumb release ??

Thanks
                About to make this change myself. Been talking about it for months, but didn't want to make any changes too close to bow season. Javalina hunt coming in February, release will be here Thursday!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FBS1026 View Post
                  About to make this change myself. Been talking about it for months, but didn't want to make any changes too close to bow season. Javalina hunt coming in February, release will be here Thursday!

Which release did you go with? Wanting to make the switch as well

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    Which release did you go with? Wanting to make the switch as well

I went with the Knock2It. Haven't gotten it in yet to know whether or not I'll like it, but i like the idea of being able to essentially have the same release in a tension release with the silverback for practice and then have the Knock2It for hunting. It's a good plan, now whether or not it works out we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Revelation View Post
                      3. move your peep ?

Thanks
                      1) Move up or down the string, no, but you may need to adjust the length depending on how you shoot the wrist release now. If you have the release adjusted so the tip of the index finger just touches the trigger then you will probably need to make an adjustment to the D-loop.

2) Does not change draw length UNLESS your draw length is incorrect now; which it may be. To properly fire using backtension the draw length must be correct; even using rotation to fire (bot pulling through) the draw length needs to be correct or there will be misalignment.

3) As others have said, the peep MAY need to move based on the above factors and or your new anchor.

The fact is, you should go into this thinking all these will need to be adjusted to fit the new shooting style; furthermore, needing to adjust any or all of these should not be construed as a reason to NOT try a handheld release. The vast majority of shooters will benefit from a handheld release.

Yes, there will need to be changes; both mentally and physically. How fast you adapt to the handheld will be reliant on your athletic ability, your mental attitude and how committed you are to training and learning the new release.

For some people the transition is easy, 300-500 shots and they are ready to go, others take thousands of shots; it is impossible to say what it will take for an individual over the internet.

I know I make it sound like a lot is going to change, but that may not be the case for you; you will need to start the training to see what will happen.

The good news is this; once you make the adjustments to fit the handheld release it is EASY to go back to using the wrist strap (for hunting if you would like) by adjusting the wrist strap. IOW, it is far easier to adjust a wrist strap for a properly fitted bow (which the handheld will force) than it is to just pick up a handheld and start shooting (again, for most people). The reason for this is that most people who shoot a wrist strap are shooting a draw length that is too long and/or have other shooting form flaws that need to be corrected to properly shoot a handheld. Once these are corrected you can shoot just about any release without making any changes to the bow and your form.

Comment

Made the switch long ago and have not looked back. I’ve only shot Carters and have been extremely happy with them. A lot of my stuff changed excluding my anchor point on my face. I did extend my draw length by 1/2 inch and that made an improvement as well.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Another option for you OP. Go to a tension release. It will highlight any and all bad parts of your shot. You can still develop target panic from a thumb release. As for your three questions, my experience was yes to all. But with how consistent my shots are now, it was totally worth it to have to figure out how to shoot again. Start now, you will be ready next season.

Comment

I switched 2 years ago to a truball boss x & it improved my accuracy & to rid of all target panic. Triggering with your thumb changes your whole mind set to not punch.

Comment

Working...
                            X