Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to clean a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious how long it takes some of you? I timed myself yesterday to clean a buck and it took me 1 hour 15 minutes to skin, gut and quarter in ice chest. I think I am slow but after cutting myself many times I don't rush it anymore especially using a havalon.

It takes me about 50 minutes if I am caping the deer out for a shoulder mount. Otherwise it takes me around 35-40. I get faster as the season progresses. I clean 20-30 each year on our place, so my practice level is pretty high.

Comment

My grandson timed me on his big doe at 43 minutes from start to in cooler
      I use a saw and two sharp knives

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
        It takes me about 50 minutes if I am caping the deer out for a shoulder mount. Otherwise it takes me around 35-40. I get faster as the season progresses. I clean 20-30 each year on our place, so my practice level is pretty high.
        That’s a lot of practice

Comment

Takes me about 40 min from start to finish

Comment

I never get in a hurry, so my time is probably close to yours. I don't gut them, unless I'm on a hunt that requires it.

If we're at camp with family, we get a cup of coffee and relive the story of the hunt as we process it out. My dad loves this part more than he does the actual hunt.

Comment

If i have a good knife 20 to 30 min in the box on ice.

Comment

Well, I'm old and have done a lot of deer, but can still do one in 25 mins, if I cape it out 35-40 mins. Saw a kid that worked at a Ranch and he could do one in under 10 mins.

God Bless
                Bish

Comment

Caping anything takes me awhile. I can probably skin and quarter and in the cooler in 30-40 minutes in the right situation. My brother hits all the joints and is pretty quick and clean. He can probably do it 15-20 minutes.

Comment

Every post the time gets shorter........hmmmm

Comment

About the same time it takes me to clean my dog. 3-5min. Any longer and they get real cranky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Every post the time gets shorter........hmmmm

I’ll see your 28 minutes and go 27.
                        Haha

Take me forever! Takes me even longer to process one.

Comment

Shoot, gut, skin, quarter, ice box one minute and 46 seconds.

Comment

45 min to an hour depending on the weather. I have RA so my hands get tired /painful quickly skinning. I try to let the hubby do it more and more now. We don’t gut either.

Comment

With my lease buddy and I working together, with razor knives/sawzall, on a doe still semi-warm where the skin pulled off easy, we got it done in 25 minutes skinned, quartered, head removed, on ice, station cleaned up and back to drinking/sitting by the fire. Normally we don't rush but it was **** cold. Gut bucket got dumped the next day.

It may not be as fast as some of the super stars here but we normally sit around the cleaning station, drinking and telling stories.. We just happened to time this one because we wanted to see how fast we could get it done and get on to the important stuff...
                              Last edited by Smart; 01-17-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X