Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Izoro
Default PSA Dog Flea and Tick Meds

I have been buying Bravecto for my lab for three years now. It has worked great at keeping fleas and ticks from being a problem (I've never even seen a tick on her).
I have to buy it through Vet Source because my vet won't release my Rx to me, arguing that she can't confirm the quality, etc. of meds from the discount sources. I have been paying $63 for a quarterly chew.
I recently ran out of the heartworm meds for Lola and I don't remember how much that med was.
Anyway, my kids found a source (in Australia) for discount, big name dog meds and they have used it for their dogs with no problems, issues, or complaints. Plus this source does NOT require a Rx.
So, last night I ordered a 6-month supply of Nexgard Spectra for $87.99. The Nexgard Spectra fights fleas and ticks (like Bravecto) but ALSO prevents heartworms and intestinal worms. So, not even counting the cost of an additional heartworm pill I've been giving Lola, the price comparison for a year is $175.98 for Nexgard Spectra ($87.99x2) versus $252 for Bravecto ($63x4). (Plus Lola gets heartworm and intestinal worm protection)
This place has all the major brands: Trifexis, Nexgard, Bravecto, Comfortis, Simparica, etc. They also have meds for other issues (pain, anxiety, etc.)
I would say that this is probably a better source IF you have used a vet and your dog is prescribed the meds. And maybe, like me, your prescription has either expired or isn't given to you by your vet. (Obviously, there are major problems with just giving a heartworm med to a dog that has heartworms.)
The source is Sierra Pet Meds (or PetCareRx.com).

Last edited by 2B4Him; 01-21-2021 at 10:55 AM.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Thanks
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
PapaSmurf
Four Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Thanks
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
BRust
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

I’m gonna look into that for my two. Appreciate it !
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #6
gatorgrizz27
Ten Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Equimax.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #7
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 01:39 AM   #8
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

great source of info and i have been using canada pet supply for our dogs bravecto and whatnot......no rx needed
mmlreiner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 02:30 AM   #9
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Yep I've been doing Hoof and Hound from Australia for a couple years now. Ridiculous excuses the vets use to avoid giving scripts to buy online.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 04:49 AM   #10
RDL
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere!!!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RDL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #11
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Yep I've been doing Hoof and Hound from Australia for a couple years now. Ridiculous excuses the vets use to avoid giving scripts to buy online.
I'll never understand. Easier to get prescriptions for humans than dogs. And all our meds are made in China LOL

I've been looking for a flea/tick pill for my dogs so thanks for the link.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #12
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Always funny to see the arm chair veterinarians on here and their solutions. People that think they have it all figured out going the cheap route and buying stuff overseas with little to no regulation on them. Good luck explaining to your vet when your animal has an adverse reaction and is dying, from your cheap meds, and now you need their help. We see this somewhat regular unfortunately and the outcome is not usually good. There is a reason meds in the US are more. Because there IS regulation, testing and processes that meds have to go though to be approved for safe use here. But, if you're willing to risk your pets life for a few extra bucks, to each his own I guess....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
Always funny to see the arm chair veterinarians on here and their solutions. People that think they have it all figured out going the cheap route and buying stuff overseas with little to no regulation on them. Good luck explaining to your vet when your animal has an adverse reaction and is dying, from your cheap meds, and now you need their help. We see this somewhat regular unfortunately and the outcome is not usually good. There is a reason meds in the US are more. Because there IS regulation, testing and processes that meds have to go though to be approved for safe use here. But, if you're willing to risk your pets life for a few extra bucks, to each his own I guess....
lmao, we're buying the same exact meds bud, but it's ok you do you.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #14
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I checked website for my dogs meds, and my vet is still a little cheaper on apoquel and Bravecto. Guess prices vary a lot per vet.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #15
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I checked website for my dogs meds, and my vet is still a little cheaper on apoquel and Bravecto. Guess prices vary a lot per vet.
Try these guys too: https://www.hoofanhound.com/
Old 01-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #16
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Use ivomec pour on works great
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #17
Bowlife
Six Point

Wow. Almost $100 savings over 6 months. Thanks for the info!
Bowlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #18
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post

Do you have proof the trifexis in the site is not the same as what I buy from my vet? And I usually don’t buy it bc I have a friend that sells to vets.
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

The reason vets simply won't give you the Rx or back the online places is because if they were to and your dog came up with heartworms you could sue them and they would have no backing from the company. If they sell you the meds and the dog gets heartworms the companies will pay to treat the dog for the heartworms. Kind of like guaranteeing their product. Now saying that, my dogs do not get heartworm meds from a vet. I use http://69.39.232.74/~heartwor/index.html
chunkinlead is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #20
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

The thing is it’s not “cheaper” to get my meds from Canada (or Australia although I’ve never used that source) it comes without having to go through my vet to get them.

In other words, my bravecto is name branded.....and we have used this company for many years without fail. If it ever came in a weird box without the trademark then I’d be suspicious.

There are so many things people take their animals to a vet for that can EASILY be treated at home it’s not even funny. Calling us “armchair veterinarians” is ignorant as ALL of my info came directly from my vet and 30 years of working ranches where animals get sick or hurt themselves daily.

This includes the site I get my flea meds from lol. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I called the vet during an emergency situation and she’s given me instructions as to what to do because she knew she’d be too late to save the animals life had I taken the animal to a vet.

Not everyone is a complete idiot but thanks for assuming we are Hawkpuppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mmlreiner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top