Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
Laner7
Eight Point

Default Best 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck

Been looking into a new truck here recently. I am in no rush to buy anything just trying to find something I would really like.
It needs to be 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I canít decide if I need another diesel or go gas. I haul cattle every so often and some other trailers around the ranch as well as a 50hp tractor. I do not haul everyday, maybe 3 to 5 times a month.. so didnít know if I could get by with gas if yíall have any experience with that. I trade my trucks in every 4is/5 years..
I am a Ford guy and have tested some of the new fords & I am impressed with the newer models, but open to other makes.. Ram has had my eye since Iíve seen better deals on them, but never driven one (I will test drive one soon). Drove my buddies 2020 Chevy diesel the other day and it was okay, but I felt like the ford felt better.
Any of yíall have the big 3? Looking for advice on each. Reliability is a must have and thatís one of the reasons why Iíve thought about going gas so I donít have to deal with def anymore, but donít want to be undertrucked either.
Laner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 11:15 PM   #2
drwilliams
Ten Point

I had a 2017 3/4 ton 6.2 Ford. I pulled a 70hp Kubota on a 20' gooseneck more times than I cared to count and a 5 bale hay king. The truck would flat out pull anything I had. Owned 3 diesel trucks before that and was more than pleased with the power the 6.2 had. I would also pull a 20' cattle trailer full of calves to the sale barn a couple times a year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #3
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I have the same truck. Been very happy with it.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
Laner7
Eight Point

Did yíallís ever feel underpowered?
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
BBRU
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere....

I love my diesel, but the 7.3 gas f-250 is suppose to be a beast
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #6
CWaller30
Six Point

Hunt In: Falls County, TX/Oklahoma/KS

I had a 2018 Ford F-250 with the 6.2 and it was gutless to me. Traded it in with only 16k miles. Thought I was going to like it after test driving it, but once it was hooked up to something remotely heavy, it was gutless and I’m a Ford guy. Got into a 2020 f350 with the 7.3 motor and it’s a different story. I love it.
CWaller30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 01:34 AM   #7
RDL
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere!!!!

Diesels are nice but if you donít pull on a daily basis they can cost more then theyíre worth with maintenance, emission troubles and the initial purchase price. If your a Ford guy Iíd sure look into the new 7.3l gas, also Chevy has a new 6.6l gas engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RDL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #8
jmeghunts
Ten Point

One year ago I test drove a 2019 F250 diesel then got out and drove a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. Bought the Ram and have been very happy. That Ford has power but felt like it was holding something back. The Ram felt more smooth and felt like it had more power even though it actually has less HP. This is my second Cummins, the first was the 5.9. Also, and this may not mean much to some, but I notice that most of those guys pulling hot shot loads are buying the Ram and making them last. Both would make you a great truck. I tried switching to the gas 3/4 ton truck so I bought an F250 with a 6.? engine. That thing was awful compared to the diesel trucks.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #9
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

I have 167,000 on the clock on my 2012 F250 diesel. Still pulls hard (We have a 9000 lb camper), transmission is strong, and is about the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned.

I have had GM's that get squeaky inside after 30,000 miles, and I've still not heard a lot of good about interiors holding up on Dodge. I currently have a hellcat, so while it's not a truck, the interior is incredibly nice and I am cautiously optimistic on the interior holding up.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #10
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Just bought a 2020 ram 3500 HO. A few years ago I got talked into going back to gas I hated it Chev with a 6.0 gas that thing couldn't get out of it's own way. the Ram has enough power to snatch the paint off any of my trailers. I'm averaging about 17 MPG no trailer at around 78 mph in the ram and 12mpg with a load. Only have around 5 K miles on it so far but I'm loving the truck.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #11
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

If you decide to go with a Ford Diesel, get the highway gears if you donít haul alot. That will help with tour fuel mileage. I drive a 2017 F250 FX4 with 4WD and 373 highway gears. I get right at 20 mpg highway and 14-15 city. Pulling anything it always sits around 14 mpg.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Listening.

At the moment can't justify the diesel and they aren't as fun as they once were.

Will be pulling a 25' camper 2 or 3 times a year and a 21' boat about the same

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
Buck hunter332
Six Point

Hunt In: The water

Have a 2012 6.7 Ford with 170k on it been an amazing truck
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #14
mudbone
Eight Point

I love my Diesel 6.7 but it will be my last Diesel if I have to put up with the DEF CRAP. The DEF pump and all related items are nothing but junk and a huge money pit. It is not if it screws you but when and it will.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #15
deerplanter
Ten Point

I have been looking myself and the diesels are an extra $10,000 on average with more maintenance costs so it's hard to justify one only on fuel mileage. You sound like we would have about the same amount of use so it would be just what you want not so much of what is needed. As for the brand I've ridden in my buddies f250 enough to know I don't care for the ride and the front end wobble is something I don't want to deal with but that is just me. I'm more of a GM guy but the Ram's have gotten my eye lately. The brand is a personal choice as they will all perform good and they all have their flaws.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #16
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche County

I have a 2020 6.4 Hemi Dodge 2500 4x4 and I pull a 4 horse living quarters trailer with it just about every weekend somewhere. It pulls the trailer just fine. I went back and forth with going to a diesel. My previous truck was an f250 with the 6.2 gas engine.

The overall ride in the Dodge is a whole lot better than my F250

I don’t understand when people say these bigger gas rigs have no power. Everyone I have owned pulled any trailer I backed up to and I spend more time dragging a trailer than most

Good luck on your search. I have had Dodge work trucks for the past 10 years and never had issue with the interior
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #17
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Listening.

At the moment can't justify the diesel and they aren't as fun as they once were.

Will be pulling a 25' camper 2 or 3 times a year and a 21' boat about the same

I sure hope you get to pull your boat more than 2-3 times a year
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #18
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
I sure hope you get to pull your boat more than 2-3 times a year
It lives at the lake now. I could launch it with the ranger if I wanted.

Maybe I should have said long hauls to POC,matty and rock port

Old 01-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #19
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

I have a '16 Dodge 3/4 ton w/ 6.4L HEMI

Very pleased.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #20
rvd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
It lives at the lake now. I could launch it with the ranger if I wanted.

Maybe I should have said long hauls to POC,matty and rock port

Gotcha, thatís much better. I was concerned for a moment, was thinking we might need to have a priority talk
Old 01-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #21
rvd
Ten Point

Op I think theyíre all pretty good right now. Iím still a diesel guy and really like the f250 Iím driving now but the 2015 duramax was good too.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #22
JonW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Donít discount resale value with the diesel after 5 years. The gas will depreciate a bunch more I bet.

I hear good things about the 10-speed transmissions on the Fords. Everyone I know is claiming 20+ mpg on the highway.

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #23
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
Gotcha, thatís much better. I was concerned for a moment, was thinking we might need to have a priority talk
Haha.

My priorities are much better in my mind. If I could that job part in sync I'd be muey better.

It's jan 22 and I've only fished once this year. I'm usually 3 or 4 trips in by now. Low lake levels have my early white bass spots unaccessible

Old 01-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #24
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Cummins...period.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #25
BW96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

I just bought a 2021 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins. Only have about 700 miles on it. But I really like it so far. It rides good, shifts smooth. Time will tell the story though. Ram is the only truck that seems affordable to me anymore. Mine is a tradesmen with the chrome package, bigger screen, carpet, and cloth seats. I'm glad I went diesel vs gas. I started the gas engine and it was just as loud or louder than the diesel. Plus resale is better on the diesels.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #26
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Had a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 and couldn’t keep it out of the shop. Bought a 2019 F250 6.7 and absolutely love it. It pulls my travel trailer like it isn’t even back there.
I absolutely loved the Ram, but it was not reliable.
I think they all make great trucks. Some just have more problems.
Resale value is huge too. My Ram was traded in after 4 years and I got $9k less than I paid for it. Probably could have gotten more selling to an individual.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #27
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

2020 F350 C/C FX4 with the new 7.3 gas and 3.73 gears. It is a beast, has way more power than you will ever need, will pull anything you want and will flat out fly on the highway. You can hit 90+ very easily passing someone!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

You get 80-90% of the cost of a diesel engine back when you sell.

Gas are getting better but nowhere near a diesel yet, but haven't driven the 7.3 gas Ford yet.

Gas will cost you nearly 2x the fuel when pulling.

Diesels are crazy expensive to work on.

While maintenance is slightly higher per service, you service at 10K miles instead of 5-7.5K for gas. And gas engines now hold more oil, so that amount difference, especially with synthetic oil, is getting pretty close.

If going new and you trade before or around 100k miles I would go diesel, if you want to keep one 150-200K miles I would go gas due to repair cost.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #29
Pintail45
Eight Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Since reliability is a must have, that rules out modern emissions diesels. And the strongest gasser is the new 7.3 Ford.
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #30
Rubi513
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Walker County

If you’re going to get rid of it in 4-5 years, I would go diesel. Night and day difference when towing.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #31
JeffK
Ten Point

The gas will do just fine for what you are doing.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #32
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

I just spent the last year looking and asking and praying.

I was in your same boat.

I ended up with F250 Diesel. Bought it in December and have wondered why I never went this way before. Pulling is awesome. Ride is awesome.
The only negative I have found is the payment. I hate payments but other wise.

Love it.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #33
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

Don't buy a gas. Resale value and fuel mileage is terrible. Stick with Ford or dodge. Dodge is cheaper, and generally gets better MPG. Ford has much more power and better resale value. Overall, the new fords are better trucks.

I wouldn't touch a 19-20 ram Cummins. They switched to CP4 and have had nothing but problems. It's so bad, that they actually admitted it was a mistake and are going back to a CP3 in 2021.

If you buy a Dodge, get the high output with the Aisin transmission.

Honestly, if you need a diesel, you probably need a 1 ton. 3/4 ton guys always end up putting air bags on the rear. The new 3/4 springs in all trucks are too soft.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-22-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #34
Laner7
Eight Point

Have yíall had much trouble with the Def in the first 80k miles? Thatís about the time I trade them in. The added cost for maintenance as far as oil changes and things of such isnít a big deal for me. I just donít want to be stranded and having to deal with a def issue. My last diesel was used & deleted it right off the back & has been great, but Iím not deleting this one due to warranty. The def is my biggest hold up. Iíve heard good things about the 7.3, but comparing stats online it really doesnít have that much more than the 6.2 or at least from what Iíve seen.
Ram is a serious consideration just donít know much about them and need to drive it.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #35
GA Bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Cummins or nothing for me.

You will get your money(or most of it) back on resale of a diesel.

Those saying the new gas burners have a lot of power, they have less than half the torque of the new diesels.

You pull with torque.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #36
EHenry1217
Nubbin' Buck

I just got a 2019 3/4 ton diesel Ram. its my first diesel to own and i plan to never go back to gas. it has fantastic torque power for steep hills and fuel miles to make an even comparison to gas truck that diesel is better. highway i get 21-23 mpg unloaded. 13-16 mpg loaded. same goes with Chevy. a buddy of mine has a Chevy diesel and they are pretty close on performance besides Chevy is faster off the line. just depends on what you want the interior to look and feel like.
EHenry1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #37
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

I have yet to see a gas anything hold a candle to a diesel. Now if your just occasianally pulling a boat and light stuff in the 3-10K range. Then it may be ok.

But I pull 10-20K regularly and there is NO comparison.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #38
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I have a 2020 megacab 6.4 hemi on 35 inch tires. Everyday driving I average 13.5 to 14 mpg. Pulling my tractor (8K lbs or so) I get between 8 and 10 mpg. Has plenty of power and fantastic interior. Came out of a 2018 cummins dually which got 15.5 mpg unloaded and about 11 pulling. Gas is the way to go unless you pull over about 12K lbs often and more than a few hundred miles.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #39
Rubi513
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laner7 View Post
Have yíall had much trouble with the Def in the first 80k miles? Thatís about the time I trade them in. The added cost for maintenance as far as oil changes and things of such isnít a big deal for me. I just donít want to be stranded and having to deal with a def issue. My last diesel was used & deleted it right off the back & has been great, but Iím not deleting this one due to warranty. The def is my biggest hold up. Iíve heard good things about the 7.3, but comparing stats online it really doesnít have that much more than the 6.2 or at least from what Iíve seen.
Ram is a serious consideration just donít know much about them and need to drive it.
I am on 83k in a 16 Powerstroke with all the emissions intact. I haven't had one issue out of the truck.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #40
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I had a 2019 F250 diesel and with black ice and some dumb luck I totaled it. Just picked up a 2021 F250 diesel. I looked at all three both times and still ended up with the Ford. Chevy’s back seat room was horrible and I hated the huge hole in the console. Dodge just didn’t impress me, can’t really point to any one thing.

I don’t tow a lot, just recreational towing of boat and bringing stuff to and from the lease such as vehicles, loads of corn, etc. I will say the diesel, while more out of the box, will hold their value much better than the gas engine.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #41
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow will travel

I bought the 2020 F250 4x4 7.3 gasser with 3.55 gears. I got out of my 2004 chevy 3500 diesel 4x4. My camper isn't a big camper and I'm not hauling animals anymore, my boat is not big so I triple tow with camper and boat. The 7.3 has a lot of power and is comfortable to drive...all this from a CHEVY GUY!! I'm very happy with my choice, the only thing I might change later is the gears, I will probably change them out to 3.73, couldn't find the truck on the lot anywhere with 3.73 when I needed to get this one. Mileage now with 6600 miles on the truck is 15.7-16.3 unloaded (hand calculated) and 10.3-11.1 towing.
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #42
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I drive a 2017 Ford F350 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 gas. Extremely happy with it.

I chuckle a little at the gas/diesel comparisons. Its apples to oranges so very hard to compare the two.

Probably the biggest factor for me in going with the gas engine was the up front cost differential and then just the peace of mind in driving a vehicle with a highly reliable engine.

The towing experience is completely different between the two but each one is very capable, just different.

I doubt I will ever own another diesel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #43
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Not much help but curious on others experience. I've got a '20 Chevy 2500 Duramax with 17,000 miles. It's a heck of a grocery getter and has some get up and go. The only heavy thing I've hauled was an 8200 lb bumper pull travel trailer and it did as you'd expect having over 900ftlbs of torque (which I believe to be the lowest of the new big three's offerings).

*I drove 4 different Fords with the 6.2 in it when working in the field. Not a bad motor, but the diesel can do a lot more, if you feel it's worth the cost.*
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #44
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cleveland & Lampasas

I have never owned a diesel but recently bought a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.6 gas engine. I am getting about 14 MPG pulling our 41 ' , 11000 LB fifth wheel and it has plenty of power for that . I have always owned chevy's and the only one I have not liked was the 2019 1500 Silverado that I traded in. It was a dog for power , it had issues pulling a 26' bumper pull camper. My only complaint about my new truck is the seats are uncomfortable , I cut up a mattress topper and put that under my seat covers and it fixed the comfort issue.
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #45
blfx4
Eight Point

Hunt In: atascosa county

I work in a shop that has ford, gm, and ram, both with gas and diesels in the 3/4-1 ton class of trucks. I have driven them all and really feel they will all do what you need them to do. Personally, I am partial to Ford and purchased a 2020 f250 with the 6.2 and it is great for what I do. After driving them all I can agree the diesel are by far more fun to drive and are flat out hot rods nowadays. That all comes at a price, they all have regen issues. Our trucks idle a lot and they all have issues related to regen. From an unbiased standpoint Cummins is the least problematic followed by ford and gm with a close tie. As far as warranty work Ford and Cummins really try to help you out more on the warranty side. As far as what we have done with gm everything is somehow due to the lack of maintenance or excessive idle time. They really donít seem to want to help with the warranty side of things, maybe due to the dealers we work with, who knows. As far as the gas vs diesel debate, the gas engines have the power of diesels 20 yrs ago. Back then everyone got done whatever they had to. Just something to keep in mind even though they donít burn the tires like the diesels do, they are still pretty practical. Just my opinion and experience with the different makes, buy what you like, they are all too expensive anyway.
blfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #46
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Ford only offered the 7.3 gas in the F250 with 3.55 or 4.30 gearing. That is the reason I went with the F350, I wanted the 3.73 gears.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #47
lovetohunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

I’m still driving my 2004 Ram 2500 diesel and have thought about a new truck but my dodge keeps on running great with no issues. Hard to justify buying a new one when my old one is running great.
lovetohunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #48
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

the 6.7 diesel motor in the Fords is a beast. and when the Def goes out just have it deleted. I have a 2012 with 260k on it and the only major issue I have had is when the DEF went out at a 150K. Deleted it and never looked back.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #49
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

My advice would get the truck that you like best or can find the best deal on. I think these days they are all pretty close to eachother in performance.

What I think you should do for sure is get a 1 ton. It would be pretty hard to hit the payload capacity on a 1 ton but it is hit pretty easy on a 3/4.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #50
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetohunt View Post
Iím still driving my 2004 Ram 2500 diesel and have thought about a new truck but my dodge keeps on running great with no issues. Hard to justify buying a new one when my old one is running great.
I am in the same boat with my 08 F250. My problem is the truck I want has a MSRP above $80k and that just aint going to happen anytime soon.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top