No announcement yet.

Crossbow recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played with a bunch of them before i bought we have two Missions no complaints

Comment

Ravin, Axe, Tenpoint.

Comment

For the money you can't beat the Centerpoint Sniper 370. Sure, it is no Ravin, but it is fast and very accurate. Stacks bolts on top of each other, and I used mine to take my first crossbow deer this year. It was a 33 yard broadside shot. Deer ran 30÷40 yards and done. Only negative is the trigger is a little rough..

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          Excalibur Matrix series with an ACOG crossbow or Nikon 3x
          This! Super reliable, easy to adjust or change strings in the field, plenty of power, and of course very accurate.

cricman

Comment

Ravin all day long
            Shot my wife’s at 100 yds
            Blistering fast and dead accurate.

Comment

Depends upon how much you want to spend.....(do yourself a favor and go search CBN)

I've got 3.....an older Excaliber....cp370.... and a cp400

My Excaliber is over 10 years old.... pretty slow....big and bulky....but very reliable for what it is....I'm not worried about it disintegrating into a pile of parts and it'll certainly dispatch a deer at 30 yards.

Centerpoint 370 as mentioned above.....Rich does your trigger and it's a fantastic bow for the money. I prefer it to my old Excaliber, mostly because it's easier to haul around and easier to use in the stand. It's also quite a bit faster.

Centerpoint cp400, again, with the trigger job, is an incredible bow. It's a cross....Ravin tech with CP stock and rail. True 400fps with 400 grain arrows. Like a Ravin R9/R10 it's only 6" cocked so its not much different than using a rifle when in the blind. The scope that comes with it is pretty good too.....much better than the stock scopes I've owned. Red/green illuminating, 20 to 100yd reticle, etc.

I've shot both a Ravin and a $1500 Ten Point and both were very high quality bows. However, I'll take the cp400 over em and save several hundred dollars. The only thing I'm giving up is the built in crank cocker and the ability to decock. I'll just fire a bolt into a discharge bag and go on about my business.
              Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-24-2020, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Ravin all day long.

I stuck a red dot on top of the one I have for when I am hunting my bow blinds with my boys. Sitting with my 5 year old son tonight waiting on a 10.5 year old cull that we’ve been chasing to come in. If that deer shows up I have 100% faith that the job will get done.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
                  My wife has decided to take some interest in bowhunting. Figured I may start her on a crossbow. Any recommendations? I have bowhunted 20+ years but have zero experience with crossbows. TIA
                  How do you plan on hunting? Box blind? Tree stand? Ground pop up? Not all crossbows are the same size. Excalibur makes some nice smaller bows now.

For a woman, whichever one you get, you probably want some sort of crank on it. Not saying women can't rope cock crossbows, but some (like my matrix 380) are very stiff.

If your not concerned about new/used, look at the classifieds after the season ends, you'll score a good deal on just about anything you want.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                    Best bang for buck in my opinion is the sniper 370. My wife has one and my son and both have killed numerous hogs and deer with them. Great crossbows for under $300 and shoot lights out.
                    This. They tend to have sales right about now. Furthermore, there is a guy in Dallas on CrossbowNation that does custom trigger jobs for around $100. For $300 initial investment, you don't lose much if she doesn't like. If she does like it then you can upgrade the trigger, scope, and bolts for ~$300 and have a really solid setup.

Comment

I got one of the new Excalibur pro 360TD and shoots good with a good trigger as well. Lots of good brands and prices all over the map so can spend as little or as much as you want. Whichever you go for, just remember to keep your fingers down. Even with the guards some guy on the LBJ grasslands FB page removed his pinky this year with a ravin.

This is my 40 yard group right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I sure appreciate all of the responses! I certainly have a place to start looking now

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                          Ravin or Mission

Mission is owned by Mathews so the warranty is lifetime vs the 5 yr warranty on the Ravin
                          I recently bought a Ravin but one of my favorites I had was the Mission Dagger (a bit faster than their MXB320). The butt is adjustable to change th LOP for a smaller statue person.

In fact I’ve had about 6 or 7 different crossbows since 2014. Sort of regret selling my Dagger to my BIL.

I’d get on the CrossbowTalk or CrossbowNation forums and peruse the classifieds on each. Getting a good used one from a reputable buyer will save some money plus you can read the good and bad of other people’s opinions on crossbows.

Most guys toss the factory included bolts and opt for a half dozen “Spynal Tapps” from Jerry at Tapp Nation in FL. Good luck.

(I’d post a pic but can’t figure out how to).

A forum community dedicated to crossbow owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about bolts, optics, hunting, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!
                          Last edited by tpcollins; 12-27-2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I meant to add that the crossbows like the Mission Danger and MXB320 are adjustable. You can loosen the limb bolts like a compound to reduce the cocking weight.

Plus as the cocking nears the end of the stroke, the cams roll over and the pulling weight is reduced like the holding weight of a compound as well. This way she wouldn’t have to struggle near the end of the cocking stroke where the leverage is at the weakest point. Good luck.

Comment

Is the CenterPoint CP400 Worth the extra $300 over the 370?

Looks like quite different tech between the two. I’m looking to get my 9yo son set up with a little more challenge moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a TenPoint Nitro X that I'm getting ready to sell. It isnone of the higher end crossbows.it has the reverse limbs. Rated at 440fps. It has the AccuDraw Pro cranking system on it. I just got it back from Tenpoint where they installed new cables and string. Also has a speed rated scope with it

Comment

Working...
                                X