No announcement yet.

Refinery Job Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift work is hard at times and you will miss out on a lot of family time. I’d imagine it would still be better than being offshore though. The pay/benefits are good and there is usually plenty of OT available for those who want it. Days off during the week to do whatever you want is nice, especially if you fish(less crowded). My lease is 5 hours away and if I worked a normal day job I don’t think I could make it work. I usually save my vacation for deer season and tie it to my week off each month so I’ll have 2-3 weeks off at a time to get lease trips in.

Comment

Lots of plant jobs with good pay and benefits. Just make sure it's not a Koch facility.

Comment

I know "good pay" is all relative. Doing some research online and I'm coming up with all sorts of different numbers as far as salary. Some have salary as low as $41,000 and as high as $80,000. I know it all depends on experience and overtime, but what can i realistically expect for a beginner operator position with my experience level of working offshore. Please PM me if you dont want to post publicly. Sorry for all these questions, but I have a growing family i need to think about and provide for. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
          I know "good pay" is all relative. Doing some research online and I'm coming up with all sorts of different numbers as far as salary. Some have salary as low as $41,000 and as high as $80,000. I know it all depends on experience and overtime, but what can i realistically expect for a beginner operator position with my experience level of working offshore. Please PM me if you dont want to post publicly. Sorry for all these questions, but I have a growing family i need to think about and provide for. Thanks again.
          Minimal OT 100K easy. Working shift work you will always have built in OT.

Comment

I'm on the chemical side, but all have comparable pay, benefits, and schedules. You'll start off in the $25-$30hr. range, and could be in the 6 figure range (Including OT) within 1 year. Most sites ask for the P-Tech degree (San Jac or COM) that takes ~2 years to get. It's a plus, but not required in Some plants.

Comment

I can’t speak on refineries but I’ve been a natural gas plant operator for 10 years now. (Cryo).

1. Everybody offers good medical. Usually BCBS. And covers a hefty portion.

2. Pay great varies. Brand new operators I’ve seen anywhere from $25-34ish. And goes up quite a bit with experience. You should have no problem being well over $100k eventually.

3. 401k. Employer match is usually really good. 3-6% match dollar for dollar.

I’ve worked 7/7, 14/14(remote with a man camp on location) and currently running 4/4. You do have more family time. Even when I was away for 14+ days at a time I had 2 whole weeks off to do whatever we wanted.

Typically as far as training is concerned, you rotate a bit with everyone till you’re good enough to go on shift and will be put with one of the more experienced operators so they can train you and they can pick up the slack and handle things that you don’t know yet. I e also had it to where they would run a 3 man shift to get you trained as well.

My advice on training and plant work is as follows.

Don’t be that guy that needs to be told what to do. Know your job. Do it. No excuses.
              Operators watch movies and all that at night. Fine and dandy. So long as you do your job. If something comes up, you do your job first. Don’t put your job on hold to watch a movie.

Walk down pipe. Learn the process. Read the P&IDs. Ask questions about flows, chemicals, temps, pressures, and the general science behind it. Know the how, why, when and everything in between. I’ll train anyone on everything I know but I won’t force feed them. If they don’t want to learn then that’s their problem. I’ve seen a lot more that don’t care and just want a paycheck over the years than those who want a career. And that’s sad because it’s a very good career and 99% of the time it’s a cake walk. They pay us to be able to handle problems and trouble shoot fast the few times it’s needed.

Good luck!

Comment

Are you pro-union? Lots of garbage politics come with working for a plant. I did it for 13 years and finally glad to break the chains. It's good $ bit dupont kinda sucks sometimes since yiu will miss important days and watch your family grow up without you.

Always tired, metabolism always off, eating schedule always off, working 18s sucks too. Lots of busy bodies that have great ideas and the level of (yes) people to kiss butt to the bosses is high.

I was a salaried employee and non-union, I've seen their BS for a long time.

Remember, qualifying barely matters. Seniority matters. Lmao

Benefits were really good though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by jaime1982; 01-17-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                  Are you pro-union? Lots of garbage politics come with working for a plant. I did it for 13 years and finally glad to break the chains. It's good $ bit dupont kinda sucks sometimes since yiu will miss important days and watch your family grow up without you.

Always tired, metabolism always off, eating schedule always off, working 18s sucks too. Lots of busy bodies that have great ideas and the level of (yes) people to kiss butt to the bosses is high.

All solid reasons why I’ve stayed out of refineries haha. The *** kissing guys drive me nuts too.

Comment

If you're not making $100k plus as an operator you have attendance issues.

Comment

Apply to operating technician/ operator jobs to get your foot in the door. Then try to move maintenance / rotating equip tech if you would like to work days. You could also try to hire straight into that but applying for Operations will give you more opportunity to get your foot in the door. Shift life can be tough physically and on family life but the money can be good. Lots of good input above.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

Spoken like a true salary tur d.

Comment

I have a question about applying for a job at a refinery. I am in the process of transferring from working offshore and want to do something on land. I worked 10 years in the engine department of a 300 foot offshore supply vessel. I am the chief engineer overseeing all vessel maintenance, record keeping, operating pumps, engines, generators and bunkering or offloading liquid mud, fuel,water cement and barite

What does this translate into a facilities related job? Operator, technician? Would like to know what to apply for when I search for jobs. Thanks guys!
                          Don’t limit yourself to refineries. Also apply at chemicals plants. Sounds like process operator would be your best bet right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            Don’t limit yourself to refineries. Also apply at chemicals plants. Sounds like process operator would be your best bet right now.

Definitely this. The demand for petrochemicals is forecast to increase through 2040, but refining will experience pressure with the new administration.

I don’t believe my company is hiring, as we’ve been hit pretty hard with the downturn. When things recover though, we have a Diesel engine services division that serves the fracking, on-road, power generation, inland marine, and offshore drilling markets. Your experience would fit with a number of potential opportunities in Houston or elsewhere throughout the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Some additional questions i have for yall. Been looking more into the Operator position as alot of yall have suggested and would like some clarification before i jump into this.

--Does refinery/Plant offer benefits such as medical, dental, vision, and 401K?

--Is pay based on Salary or hourly and is there additional pay for overtime?

--How hard is it to get an operator job with my level of experience and how did yall find the jobs at the respective plant you work for? Friends/Family? Job Search and apply online?

--With shift work, is there enough time for family?

--For new hires that have never worked in a plant, do they assign a trainer or mentor to show you the ropes, or just feed you to the fire to fend for yourself?

Thanks Guys!
                              1. Yes most refineries and chem plants offer benefits. Even up to getting a college degree, some companies offer assistance.

2, Pay is hourly, Time and a half for OT, holiday pay, shift differential, built in OT every month

3. With your experience, you should be able to get a job, probably of your choice and location.

4. Shift work gives you the time to be off with your family or work all you want.

5. Most plants look at you as an investment, they will train you in a class, then should set you up with an Operator, usually on days, then on shift once you are appointed a shift.

6. If you can, look into LNG plants/loading facilities. You can thank me later.
                              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-18-2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

On our site, $30-$55 an hour....$100 per year is easy to make without working much OT.

Don't be scared off by any negativity, the job will be what you make of it. Busy bodies are in every field. Get your rest, eat right, exercise. I have been working shift work since '91 and wouldn't have it any other way. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X