Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made black eyed pea salad with mine

Comment

Didn’t need peas tonight. Had fat pork chops grilled, fried cabbage with bacon in it, and cornbread. Mmmm...mmmmmm good !

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I went with this one earlier today and they turned out excellent. I doubled the salt and tripled the pepper. Will add some of the items mentioned in the posts above next time. As already stated, fresh peas make it even better when you can find them. Anyone using canned peas is missing out big time.

https://youtu.be/21k6fVpyXiA

Happy New Year!!!

Comment

We eat them year round! Love them. Not from a can though.

Comment

Black eyed peas and purple hulls...all the time, all year long

My wife makes the dried one is her insta-pot

I watched her today. She sautéed about 1/2 a pound of thick sliced bacon, left the bacon grease in the insta-pot, added a carton of beef broth, the 1 pound bag of dry blackeyes, about 2 teaspoons of Chachere’s
            Cooked under pressure for 30 minutes, slow released pressure for 20 minutes
            Done
            They are awesome

Comment

I cook mine the same way I cook my pinto beans. Same spices, salt pork, etc. My kids tell me they don't taste bad like the can ones.

Comment

Got some good ideas from these posts, am going to combine a few of them, thanks for the recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                  I cook mine the same way I cook my pinto beans. Same spices, salt pork, etc. My kids tell me they don't taste bad like the can ones.
                  I cook a pot of black eyed peas every New Years Day. My wife hates them, but it's always been a good luck tradition for me.

I agree with the above. I cook black eyed peas just about the same way as I would a pot of pinto beans. Start with a few slices of cut up bacon to get some grease in the pot. Throw in some diced onion, peppers (I like a couple diced Serrano) or whatever you like to add heat/flavor. The standard spices for me are garlic (preferred fresh cloves if possible), onion powder (if no diced onion), little cayenne and some black pepper. Typically the bacon adds enough salt for me. If I feel like a little Cajun flare, I'll throw in a couple teaspoons of Cajun spice. Add water as necessary and simmer on low for a couple hours. The main difference between peas and pintos is peas typically cook faster, so it's good idea to keep an eye on them.

There's really a lot of variations you can go with on beans/peas. If I have a ham bone (which I typically do not), that's great for the pot as well. Or adding a sliced link of deer sausage, andouille or whatever can add a bit more filler.

Fresh cornbread is most definitely the best compliment.

Comment

I do mine in an insta pot & dang good

I take 4 slices of bacon & cut into smaller strips
                    Place bacon inside the pot sauté approx 3-4 minutes just to get some bacon grease out
                    I remove the pot
                    Add frozen package of peas into pot
                    Add 1 teaspoon onion powder
                    Salt & pepper
                    Add 1/4 teaspoon paprika
                    Add 1 bouillon beef cube
                    Add 2 cups water
                    I cook for 8-10 minutes under pressure manual
                    Then let them go 10 minutes with no pressure release
                    Release what remaining pressure & stir & eat

Comment

Working...