Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #101
docmay
Pope & Young

We had dinner and relaxed and listened to the waves. The hunt would start Monday with breakfast at 0600. We would start this thing on the north end of the island. Taking off now, Iíll post more when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #102
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

congrats! thanks for sharing...waiting for more story!!!
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #103
docmay
Pope & Young

Hunt Day 1: we headed out in the truck and drove a short way to the north west part of the island. There is a water guzzler for the sheep there abd the thought was that there would be sheep in the surrounding canyons. We start hiking up and there is good trail. No problem. Then it gets more broken with loose rock. Kind of like moderate elk terrain. Then it got steep! Total vertical climbs were only 800-1000 feet but it was hot and humid. We made it up top and start to glass. Immediately we are looking over sheep. After spotting 15 rams we finally find one that is bigger and older. We decide to make a plan!

We done off the top of the mountain and hit some very broken draws trying to make it around to the sheep. We left Abundis(guide) as a spotter as we looped around. We moved pretty quick and I was pouring sweat. We got to the mountain the sheep were on and climbed back up. At about 200 yards we dropped our packs a d Gaspar crawled ahead to look. The big ram was now with 4 others, all bedded. We stayed put and waited for the sheep to move. After 2.5 hours they finally got up. It looked like the big ram would close in front of us in bow range. The excitement was real! Two of the smaller rams headed up about 300 yards away. Two others went even further away up the mountain. We snuck in because we lost the big ram and never saw him again! Then it was a big hike down the draws and back up and over the first mountain. I slipped coming down and landed on my ***. ****, day one and my knees are sore and my toes hurt!!!!!

Waiting on the sheep to get up!

My better half waiting on sheep to move.

How I felt after hiking on day 1.

My hands after one day of busting through the Island brush.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #104
docmay
Pope & Young

In the evenings we would go back out about 4-5 pm and glass the mountain faces of the northwest side of the island. The sheep had been using this area routinely but had slowed. Most of the sheep were 3/4 up the mountains or at the tops. No time for an afternoon approach from the bottom. We only had one afternoon stalk. That was my one and only frustration. Basically only hunting half a day. But, they have been pretty much 100% on sheep hunts so I wasnít going to argue.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #105
docmay
Pope & Young

Hunt Day 2: we took the boat and headed south. This time we had to jump off the boat on a rocky shore and then climb up and over a mountain to glass. It actually wasnít too bad. We got up top and again found sheep. We saw 7 rams and one ewe. Once again, we sorted out a potential shooter and it was game on! We hiked down off the top and got in to a dry wash. We ended up on a big elevated brushy flat where the sheep had been feeding. We again had a spotter and began moving in. Just like most mountain hunts the wind began to shift and you could feel it on the back of your neck. At about 100 yards the sheep blew out! We had a snack, glassed for a while and hiked back to the boat.

Where we landed the boat day 2

Glassing for sheep

Final descent back to boat

No problem for the little sheep hunter, she went for a run every afternoon when we got back!!!!!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #106
docmay
Pope & Young

The evening of day two we went back north to glass and it was uneventful. However, on day three the action heats up!!!!!!!

At least we always had some time before and after dinner to relax. Such a beautiful and peaceful place.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #107
twdjr
Ten Point

Cool looking place.
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #108
docmay
Pope & Young

Hunt Day 3: two stalks, two rams in bow range, no shots!!!!!!

On day three we again went north and hiked in by the guzzler. This time we got to our original glassing point and then scrambled up another couple hundred feet of super steep, sketchy terrain. We glassed for a while and again found sheep. This time we found the biggest ram of the trip. He had everything. Mass, good length and that wide beautiful flare. Everyone thought he would push 170Ē and a plan was made. We dropped off the mountain and again hit a wash to circle around. We had to climb up out of the bottom and then higher than our initial glassing point. I was pouring sweat. Gaspar found the ram bedded and again the packs came off and bow put together. We snuck in and the ram had gotten up. He was now feeding on a ridge across from us and Gaspar had ranged that area previously and it was 60 yards. I finally spotted the ram and he was quite a bit left of where we thought he would come out. Gaspar could not see him or get a range. I moved a half step and found a shooting window in the brush. I was going to guess and shoot for 50 yards as he was a touch closer than we had ranged. I started to put tension on the string and the ram turned and ran off. Crap!!!!!!! Almost a shot on the ram of my dreams. It would have been dicey with unknown yardage but I had a decent guess. We regrouped and hiked back off the mountain an hour or two later. Again my knees were sore and my feet hurt but I knew I could climb anything on the island.

Sheep country!

Always glassing!!!!!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #109
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Those quesadillas and the guac!!!
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #110
docmay
Pope & Young

Evening of day 3 we are back in the truck and headed out north. We see some sheep but again it looks like to possible stalks. Finally on a little bit shorter mountain there are two rams! The light is terrible with the setting sun in our face but they look good enough for a closer look. We go around the backside of the mountain and climb up. Abundis is out front with the spotter and guides us in. Once on top we lose the packs and I get the bow ready. We get in position and the ram is coming up. I can see horns just over the fall of the mountain in front of us and he is close! He follows the trail and steps out just over 20 yards away. Almost perfectly broadside and Iím ready to shoot! Two problems. First, he is young and maybe 150 inches. Second is there is a bush right across his vitals. He finally figures out we are not good and runs off. I let down my bow. Within bow range twice in one day, getting better!!!!!

Old 04-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #111
docmay
Pope & Young

Hunt day 4: we headed back north but didnít go to the guzzler. We dropped Abundis off to glass and we headed further west to look. We found three good rams on a moderate sized mountain and decided to go after them. We got about 3/4 way to the top and they busted us. I think they winded us and hauled butt up higher on the next mountain. I figured they were gone but this day was only starting!!!!! We watched the rams clear what was one of the tallest peaks on the island and Abundis could see them on the other side. We started up the highest and steepest climb yet. We got to the top and located two rams bedded. Gaspar and I snuck down to within 300 yards to get a better look. They eventually got up and fed over the top away from us. Our spotter found them and again it was game on!

We snuck in to a shelf overlooked a canyon. The sheep were below us but not visible. There were trails coming out of the canyon from 20 to 60 yards. Perfect! We waited for an hour or so and the sheep kept feeding out of sight. Finally a decision was made to try to push them up as we were afraid the wind would shift. It seemed reasonable and Abundis started our way from about a mile away. The sheep eventually moved out of the canyon at a trot abd i was at full draw. The big ram came right up the 20 yard trail but never slowed down. No shot again!!!!!!

That high peak is where we went up and over. Problem was then coming back up and over the side and out to the truck!

More sheep country.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #112
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Awesome Doc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #113
docmay
Pope & Young

Default Desert Bighorn Sheep-Docís shot at Carmen Island!!!!

Evening of day 4 and the talk!!!!

The evening of day 4 was slow and we only saw a couple rams. Everyone was a bit discouraged and we headed back to camp for dinner.

When I originally booked the hunt there were 8 total hunting days. That seemed short for a sheep hunt but always worked for them. When we pushed it back a year the hunts had moved to 6 days. Sergio told me this and I wasnít thrilled. It was based on flights in to Loreto and their long term averages on days to kill sheep. I wanted to hunt the island and wanted my wife to go. I had to go along with the change.

At dinner on the fourth night Gaspar decided we needed to have a serious talk about the hunt and strategy. We had two days left but would lose half a day going to Loreto for a Covid test. He said we could carry on and hope we got a sheep or we could try to sit over the water sources in a blind. He felt that was almost 100% chance at a shot. I still wanted to spot and stalk. I asked about coming back if I wasnít successful. He said it had to be this year and the only days available would be the last 4 or 5 of May. I already have a work schedule and a couple days booked to fish with my best friend for his birthday. I was potentially screwed! I went to my room that night in a foul mood. My wife knew it and now the pressure was ramped up. I said a prayer that night and I know my dear friend Todd back home did the same. I had a day and a half to kill a sheep. If I had a decent shot inside 80 yards an arrow would fly. I had practiced, I was ready. Bring on the sheep!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #114
docmay
Pope & Young

Hunt Day 5: Crunch time

My attitude was still not great as we had breakfast on day 5. I wanted to kill a desert sheep with my bow and I had come to the best place on Earth to do that. I was frustrated but ready to go hunt. Hell, lots can happen in the last day or so!

So, for day 5 we got in the boat and headed south. I kept thinking of all the pictures of sheep I had seen from Carmen Island. Lots were stunning pictures with the ocean in the background. I hadnít hunted a sheep Iím that area yet! We were cruising along and all of a sudden the boat slows and the guides get excited. They have spotted two rams about halfway up the mountain above the beach. One looks like a shooter ram! Here we go!!!!!!!!!!

We take the boat to shore and Elise, myself, Gaspar and Mata start the climb up and south of the sheep. We get the the high point and the sheep are below us and to our left, out of sight. Once again, we drop the packs and I get my bow ready. We hike up a bit higher and find a little flat spot overlooking a couple sheep trails. The close shots will be 20-30 yards and some chances further out. We get set and wait. The guys on the boat can see the sheep and they are feeding our way.

I see horns start to clear the brush and head down the trail below us. Itís the younger ram but he is perfect. Long horns and not broomed at all. He stops at 30 yards and looks out at the ocean. Awesome! Then he cranes his neck around and looks right at us and barks. Some sort of alarm warning. $&@@!!!!! Here we go again! He had been severely quartering away and about 30 yards away. I knew what to expect.

The big ram started up the trail as the smaller ram spooked out. He was moving at a good pace but I was already at full draw. Gaspar bleated at the ram when he was 33 yards away and he slowed almost to a stop. I didnít have much to aim at as he was even more severely quartered away. I aimed just in front of the near side hip and let the arrow fly. The arrow hit and buried just about to the wrap! I knew the ram would die from that hit.

We were all excited and exchanged high fives. I had done it, I had arrowed a desert ram!!!!! We followed him and there was immediately blood on the rocks. He had gone 75-100 yards and bedded down. The sevr 1.7 had done well. He was still alive but could barely lift his head. I climbed up one last little knob and shot the ram in the chest at 16 yards with an iron will. With that he rolled over and the rest is history!!!!!!!!!!

The wife gets to the sheep!

From the spot of the final shot.

Nothing beats the highs and lows of bowhunting!

Old 04-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #115
docmay
Pope & Young

Just a few more trophy pics.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #116
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Beaumont

Congrats on a great hunt! I don't know much about aging sheep, but that one looks ancient to me? Any idea how old they thought he was?
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #117
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Congrats, Doc! Great write up! I like the way you break the story up into several different posts, (with pictures), instead of a 25000 word essay in one huge post. Makes it way easier to follow the story for me! So, thanks for that and congrats again!
AlaskaFlyerFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #118
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gander View Post
Congrats on a great hunt! I don't know much about aging sheep, but that one looks ancient to me? Any idea how old they thought he was?
At least 11 years old. Not a baby!!!!!
Old 04-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #119
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Once in a life time trophy and hunt! Thanks for taking us all along, Doc!
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #120
docmay
Pope & Young

Iíll finish off the last couple days at some point. However, you have the most exciting parts there now.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #121
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Great write ups thanks again and congratulations on a great sheep
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #122
coonazz
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, LA, WY, CO, NM, AK, & Canada

Outstanding Doc!
coonazz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #123
roberts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Congrats on one heck of a ram, Doc. Thank you for taking the time to do the write up and take us along for the ride. I always enjoy a Doc hunting trip with a celebratory cigar pic.

Awesome all the way around.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #124
Buck_jane
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette

As always, great write up. Thanks for sharing another hunt with us.
Buck_jane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #125
sling shot
Ten Point

Congrats Doc!
sling shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #126
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Thanks for taking us along, Doc, what a great write up! Congratulations again!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #127
Jonathan
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

Unbelievable, I always enjoy your posts!
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #128
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Congratulations, Doc! You certainly found a worthy hunting partner a few years ago!!!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #129
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

Awesome write up sir congrats
Bowtech38 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #130
ATXArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

A Doc hunt and write-up never disappoints! Thanks for continuing to allow us to tag along on your journeys.
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #131
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

Thanks for the write up. Amazing pics and congrats on a great ram.
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #132
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

That had to be a totally amazing experience. Congrats on another fine trophy !!!!
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #133
texasag05
Six Point

Congrats on an awesome hunt!
texasag05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #134
HUNTIN HARD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Africa

Awesome!! Full body?
HUNTIN HARD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #135
RRFishNHunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County, Leon, Edwards

Wow, thank you for taking us along! Outstanding job and well done!!
RRFishNHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #136
SHSU18
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Read through it all and wow. Congrats and what a great thread and write up!
SHSU18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #137
bugleboy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young county

Great read and pics! Congrats!!!
bugleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #138
Aggie PhD
Ten Point

Hunt In: North of US90

Awesome Doc! Always enjoy following along on your trips

You and brain doc got any trips lined up? What's next?
Aggie PhD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #139
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

What a hunt! Congrats again, Greg! Those photos with the ocean in the background are just killer too. What a memory for you guys!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #140
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

That’s amazing Doc! I was glad to follow along on IG, and your write ups on here are always top notch!! Congratulations!!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #141
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Congrats Doc! Great recap!
Archery1st is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #142
TAMU Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: no where currently!!!!

Awesome hunt and congratulations on a remarkable conclusion to a lot of hard work that led up to the adventure. So many hours of physical and mental training go into an experience like this not only from the hunting side but from the professional side.

Congrats again!
TAMU Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #143
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Awesome story!!!
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #144
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Wow! That's fantastic and those pictures are amazing. Bug congrats

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #145
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
Awesome!! Full body?
Man, I have not gotten that far yet. I did have the ram skinned for a full body mount. I have my Texas Desert Ram coming and itís a full body with the other grand slam shoulder mounts with it as one piece. Iím conflicted but thatís a good problem! Iím strongly considering a pedestal mount with some type of saguaro cactus in the mount and maybe even some of the shells my wife collected. Hell, I did shoot him on a desert island.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #146
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie PhD View Post
Awesome Doc! Always enjoy following along on your trips

You and brain doc got any trips lined up? What's next?
Nothing lined up with Brain Doc. He has been super busy and took the Covid deal very seriously. I invited him on a group
Axis hunt in May but he had other plans. He did have a cool black bear hunt lined up in Alaska but it got messed up. Hopefully he and I will get together for something. I miss hunting with that guy. We usually do well with turkeys and some cocktails!!!!!

As for my future plans, I have some normal stuff coming up. Axis and turkeys in May, floating the gunnison gorge in early June, and the south padre the end of June/first of July. After that it’s back to trying to finish off my North American critters.

October 2021 Shiras Moose

September 2022 Rocky Mountain Bighorn(Alberta)

April 2023 Polar Bear

Sometime in there I will get Alaskan Caribou booked and then I will only lack Quebec-Labrador Caribou which may never happen. So dumb I didn’t do that years ago when it was easy. I put it off thinking I could do it when I was older and now it’s gone!!!!!!!

Last edited by docmay; 04-19-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #147
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
Nothing lined up with Brain Doc. He has been super busy and took the Covid deal very seriously. I invited him on a group
Axis hunt in May but he had other plans. He did have a cool black bear hunt lined up in Alaska but it got messed up. Hopefully he and I will get together for something. I miss hunting with that guy. We usually do well with turkeys and some cocktails!!!!!

As for my future plans, I have some normal stuff coming up. Axis and turkeys in May, floating the gunnison gorge in early June, and the south padre the end of June/first of July. After that itís back to trying to finish off my North American critters.

October 2021 Shiras Moose

September 2022 Rocky Mountain Bighorn(Alberta)

April 2023 Polar Bear

Sometime in there I will get Alaskan Caribou booked and then I will only lack Quebec-Labrador Caribou which may never happen. So dumb I didnít do that years ago when it was easy. I put it off thinking I could do it when I was older and now itís gone!!!!!!!
Polar Bear is back on?! Man, Iíve been following this Slam quest for as long as I can remember!
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #148
docmay
Pope & Young

Day 5: After the hunt

Well, we got the ram skinned out and the meat quartered. It was a relatively short pack back to the boat and it was all smiles. Now I could spend some time with the wife and give her the beach days she wanted. Of course, she went for a run first!!!!!

Breaking down the sheep.

Ready for packing out!

All smiles and ready for the pack out with the new hats we earned!!!!!

Old 04-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #149
docmay
Pope & Young

The day of the kill on a big hunt is always special and these guys did it right! After Elise got back from her run, Renee brought us a huge bowl of fresh ceviche. It was stellar!!!!!

I got to kick back and fire up my first of several celebratory cigars over the next couple of days.

We paddled the two person kayak out to the buoy and saw some fish, pelicans and a handful of sea turtles.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #150
docmay
Pope & Young

The rest of the day we hung out on the beach and drank. It was perfect. We had another amazing dinner and Renee surprised us with a special dessert. Fried ice cream! It was **** good.

After dinner Gaspar asked what we wanted to do for our final day. We decided to fish in the morning and then head to Loreto for our mandatory Covid test. We would have breakfast at 0600 and then head for the boat.