Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #51
Maxlab
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez

I love mine.
Maxlab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #52
Closer
Four Point

Hunt In: Doss, Tx

I love mine as well, every animal that has been shot at is dead. Iím shooting the 110 grain Barnes, 1 shot kills every time and that is the same for my kids. They both got their first bucks this year as well with the gun. I understand the trash talk but itís just a flat out fun gun to shoot and has plenty to kill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #53
Budman68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Draw Hunts

I'm more on the 7.63 x 39. My 300BO would kill, just got tired of chasing ammo and liquidated my barrel.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #54
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
slaughter houses kill 2000lbs animals with 22 short. and you can't manage to kill a small hog by shooting it twice in the head with 1377 ft/lbs of energy and it's the cartridge's fault ??? ah... ok!
Cannot be taken seriously with such stupid analogies.

I shot the hog twice in the head where I always shoot hogs, and the cartridge failed to kill the hog in a timely manner. I don't honestly remember what bullets they were because it wasn't my rifle, but they were a factory hunting bullet of some kind. It doesn't really matter, we found a superior option.

I don't doubt the blackout is much more capable when loaded with some of the lighter rounds mentioned, but then it's not subsonic and therefore just a less effective option than others out there.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #55
softpoint
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Mine is an Encore with a 16 inch Bergara barrel. And a folding stock. It is pretty handy, but not because of the caliber, because of it's compactness. And mine is accurate. The Bergara barrel and Sierra 110 grain hollowpoints often go less than an inch at 100. I've thought about having it rechambered to .308 or .30/30 AI, but kind of hate to fix what isn't really broke...I have killed three hogs with it, with behind-the-shoulder shots at 50-120 yards. I know it's limitations, and don't push it too far. I don't shoot mine suppressed, or subsonic..
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #56
Closer
Four Point

Hunt In: Doss, Tx

Closer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #57
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Opinions of 300 Blackout

Once again, 5 dead deer to date. This the most important to date from Colorado Bend SP. if the shooter can shoot, it doesnít matter what cartridge theyíre using! This buck went 40 yards, heart was mush.... short LOP, 16Ē barrel, very little recoil. All plus side when starting a kid out. Then again, as mentioned previously, I like the shot inside 80 with this round. It may be niche, but it has served a purpose for us.

Heís not hunting with subs, that would be irresponsible on my behalf. But, itís still about shot placement.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Chad C; 04-16-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #58
DedDucks
Eight Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt Co.

If not shooting subs then stick with X39.

DedDucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #59
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I shoot subsonic out of mine. Shot a couple axis with it, no issues...dead deer.

It will be a good first gun for my grandson to shoot in a couple years. Quiet & low kick.

Just gotta know & be ok with it's limitations.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #60
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDucks View Post
If not shooting subs then stick with X39.

Because 4mm makes a huge difference?

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #61
DedDucks
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Iím not following you. Ballistics on supers basically the same but 7.62x39 ammo significantly cheaper.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #62
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iím not following you. Ballistics on supers basically the same but 7.62x39 ammo significantly cheaper.

He reloads, savvy.

Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 10:21 PM   #63
DedDucks
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Maybe you mean 3/1000ths of an inch...

Last edited by DedDucks; 04-16-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #64
DedDucks
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
He reloads, savvy.

Sorta

Old 04-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #65
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Cannot be taken seriously with such stupid analogies.

I shot the hog twice in the head where I always shoot hogs, and the cartridge failed to kill the hog in a timely manner. I don't honestly remember what bullets they were because it wasn't my rifle, but they were a factory hunting bullet of some kind. It doesn't really matter, we found a superior option.

I don't doubt the blackout is much more capable when loaded with some of the lighter rounds mentioned, but then it's not subsonic and therefore just a less effective option than others out there.
no, what's stupid is shooting anything twice with 1377ft/lbs of energy and blaming the bullets for the poor shots .. i shoot pigs all the time with cyclade 50 grain subsonic 22lr ..they drop like a stone ... i file my wildlife exemption every year and attach dead pig pics a part of my predator control , and literally have hundreds of pigs pics over the years ... most of them with 300 blk as i started shooting it before you could even get brass in that caliber, when you had to cut and size 223 .. yeah a less than perfect shot and you could not recover them, but so is my buddy i hunt with , he shoots 30/06 and has not recovered some on my place ... let's face it , many people on the green screen should spend less time criticizing and more time practicing ... with new technology like the wraith , now we can record our hunts ... these are 2 hogs shot with 300 blk. 110 gr ... looks to me they just drop! but it does require knowing how to shoot . same with thermal .. over 100 yards ... no problem!

now put down the keyboard and go practice ... go go go!

imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #66
imyomama
Ten Point

125 tnt ..300blk ..
Old 04-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #67
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closer View Post
I love mine as well, every animal that has been shot at is dead. Iím shooting the 110 grain Barnes, 1 shot kills every time and that is the same for my kids. They both got their first bucks this year as well with the gun. I understand the trash talk but itís just a flat out fun gun to shoot and has plenty to kill

and on an archery site to boot .... talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

i used to bow hunt... but everything i shot kept running off.... LOL

and then i found ... the barrett 50 cal ... and i've never been happier! Bow is for sale!
Old 04-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #68
trophy8
Pope & Young

Lol
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #69
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
no, what's stupid is shooting anything twice with 1377ft/lbs of energy and blaming the bullets for the poor shots .. i shoot pigs all the time with cyclade 50 grain subsonic 22lr ..they drop like a stone ... i file my wildlife exemption every year and attach dead pig pics a part of my predator control , and literally have hundreds of pigs pics over the years ... most of them with 300 blk as i started shooting it before you could even get brass in that caliber, when you had to cut and size 223 .. yeah a less than perfect shot and you could not recover them, but so is my buddy i hunt with , he shoots 30/06 and has not recovered some on my place ... let's face it , many people on the green screen should spend less time criticizing and more time practicing ... with new technology like the wraith , now we can record our hunts ... these are 2 hogs shot with 300 blk. 110 gr ... looks to me they just drop! but it does require knowing how to shoot . same with thermal .. over 100 yards ... no problem!

now put down the keyboard and go practice ... go go go!

Sightmark Wraith pig hunt first test ... - YouTube

TRIJICON REAP-IR HOG HUNT With VIDEO OUT FIRST TEST - YouTube

Why do you shoot 110s? Because the heavier ones are garbage.

If you arent trying to be quiet, the BO is inferior to the Grendel, 6.8, etc. That is a fact.

Wait, hundreds of pigs you say?lol GTFO of here, rookie.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #70
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Why do you shoot 110s? Because the heavier ones are garbage.

If you arent trying to be quiet, the BO is inferior to the Grendel, 6.8, etc. That is a fact.

ahah .. I shoot 110's because i like them and they are cheap to shoot.
i shoot supers because subs drop 1 mil every 25 yards ,and with thermal it's too hard to judge distance ... 300BLK was around way before 6.8 and grendel.
and i have one of each of those too, but they all work and BLK fit in all my mags , the other 2 don't. and i kill everything i shoot , so why use the others?
my grendel is a 24". the 6.8 is a 16" wilson combat side charge. i put together..
the grendel i use wolf ammo that i pull the fmj bullets out and replace them with control chaos .. but dead is dead ... the blackout lays them down just fine .. and when i shoot them 300 and further ... 168gr speer gold dot in my 308 is my go to as it shoots phenomenal .68 of an inch at 400 ... about .25moa ...

but .. let me get this straight .. the guy who can't manage to kill a pig with
2 shots of a gun with over 1300ft/lbs calling anyone a rookie?
you need a 300WM ?.. most people who lack skill compensate and go bigger ... cause things just don't die otherwise ... what a lame excuse.

no , i think you need to gtfo ... and go practice .. seems all you know how to do well is talk smack .
Old 04-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #71
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

So here's my question. To the guys that say the 300 is crap, what are/were your specs? Were you shooting a rifle, or a pistol? How many grains were your loads? Were they fmj's, hp's? What scope were you using? Thermals, IR, basic rifle scope? Were you shooting in daylight or nighttime? All these are legitimate questions. The same questions can apply to the guys that love or like the round? I am thinking about getting a 300BO for hog control on my little ranch, and to be honest with you, who freaking cares if you dont find the hog you shoot with it?? It's a freaking hog.

So here's my next question, is the 300 BO better in a rifle barrel or pistol. It will be suppressed as well.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #72
gatorgrizz27
Ten Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closer View Post
I love mine as well, every animal that has been shot at is dead. I’m shooting the 110 grain Barnes, 1 shot kills every time and that is the same for my kids. They both got their first bucks this year as well with the gun. I understand the trash talk but it’s just a flat out fun gun to shoot and has plenty to kill

Good to hear, I’m getting more invested in it lately as a kid’s hunting round, I haven’t shot anything with one yet, but that is the bullet I’m using and I have suppressors. Will be supersonic, within 50 yards for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
So here's my question. To the guys that say the 300 is crap, what are/were your specs? Were you shooting a rifle, or a pistol? How many grains were your loads? Were they fmj's, hp's? What scope were you using? Thermals, IR, basic rifle scope? Were you shooting in daylight or nighttime? All these are legitimate questions. The same questions can apply to the guys that love or like the round? I am thinking about getting a 300BO for hog control on my little ranch, and to be honest with you, who freaking cares if you dont find the hog you shoot with it?? It's a freaking hog.

So here's my next question, is the 300 BO better in a rifle barrel or pistol. It will be suppressed as well.

Wish there was more of that info in here also. Big difference between hitting one in the guts with a subsonic FMJ and putting a quality expanding supersonic pill behind the shoulder.

If guys were loading their .300 mags with subs it would be the same deal. The super loads at 100 yards are equivalent energy to a .308 at 500 yards. If you take the wind/making hits at that distance out of the equation, I wonder how many would say it packs enough punch?
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #73
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
Good to hear, Iím getting more invested in it lately as a kidís hunting round, I havenít shot anything with one yet, but that is the bullet Iím using and I have suppressors. Will be supersonic, within 50 yards for awhile.

Wish there was more of that info in here also. Big difference between hitting one in the guts with a subsonic FMJ and putting a quality expanding supersonic pill behind the shoulder.

If guys were loading their .300 mags with subs it would be the same deal. The super loads at 100 yards are equivalent energy to a .308 at 500 yards. If you take the wind/making hits at that distance out of the equation, I wonder how many would say it packs enough punch?
guys, i'm gonna tell you right now .. 300blk. is a fantastic 100 yard hog cartridge ... i've shot tons of them it's my primary go to ... you can watch the bullet hit and hear it too with a can and thermal .. the people on here talking smack just lack the skill and the honesty to admit they made a bad shot that's all ... here is a video you need to watch .. it's good and it will clear up a lot of the reasons the uneducated criticize . you can see on my videos as well that i use the same point of aim in my shots and it has no problem stopping them in their tracks ... enjoy !

ps. i guarantee you some of them are gonna go huey outdoor.. this guy is a moron ... and they would be wrong as usual ... but hey, they're keyboard warriors , so .. what do you expect.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #74
imyomama
Ten Point

Todd Huey is a 6.8 guy BTW.. this is what he said about the 300blk ... again ... getting info from someone who actually knows what they're doing makes all the difference ..
i shoot hogs the same way and get the same results

Old 04-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #75
imyomama
Ten Point

1900 fps 150 grain blk ... group of 8 , hit 6 recovered 5 ... slow heavies .. but he doesn't make excuses , just admits he needs to lead them more ...

i guess this is what worthless looks like

Old 04-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #76
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Quote:
I've found zero uses for it. I shot a small boar hog twice in the head, 1.5" below the ear, and he was still trying to bite me when I got to him. That is not acceptable to me.
Pretty much mirrors my experience. Every chest shot hog needed finishing even if the first round immobilized it. Granted I was using cheap ammo but I ain't putting premium fuel in my grocery getter.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #77
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:

I had both a Ruger Ranch and a 16Ē AR both shooting the 110 gr. Tac-Tx ammo. We shot hogs and javalinas, from distances of 20-75 yards. shoulder to behind shoulder shots, everything ran, and left absolutely no blood trails. I killed plenty of hogs with the Ruger Ranch with night vision, but they were all head shots. I hunt south Texas, and tracking through the brush with no blood to follow is a waste of time. I felt strongly enough about them to get rid of both guns. A 243 is a much better option and there a list of other calibers that are much better. I originally started with the bolt gun for suppressed night time hunting, and then bought the AR for my daughter to hunt with. 243 will be what she shoots next year.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #78
imyomama
Ten Point

well there you have it .. people admitting shooting shoulder and behind the shoulder shot .. tons of youtube videos people doing just that with 308 and 6.5 creed and they still run too ... you can't please people who refuse to follow logic and who don't spend the time and effort to shoot animals with proper shot placement ... all you're doing is going to a bigger caliber , faster , more energy to create a bigger temporary shock cavity to reach the area you should have been aiming at to begin with ... switch to rpg and i bet you you'll take them down by shooting them in the butt too ...
Old 04-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #79
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
well there you have it .. people admitting shooting shoulder and behind the shoulder shot .. tons of youtube videos people doing just that with 308 and 6.5 creed and they still run too ... you can't please people who refuse to follow logic and who don't spend the time and effort to shoot animals with proper shot placement ... all you're doing is going to a bigger caliber , faster , more energy to create a bigger temporary shock cavity to reach the area you should have been aiming at to begin with ... switch to rpg and i bet you you'll take them down by shooting them in the butt too ...
You make absolutely zero sense.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #80
Balcones_Walker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
I ain't putting premium fuel in my grocery getter.
This. Nobody's saying those Barnes 110s won't kill anything that moves, they're saying you're paying $1+ a round for something that is ballistically identical to $0.40 x39.

Subsonics on the other hand...
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #81
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
did you even watch the videos ? i'm gonna go out on a limb and say no... or maybe you're just an rpg kind of guy

either case , i don't have it in my to explain it again ... you do you boo boo!
Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #82
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
This. Nobody's saying those Barnes 110s won't kill anything that moves, they're saying you're paying $1+ a round for something that is ballistically identical to $0.40 x39.

Subsonics on the other hand...
you got guys on here bragging about they 7mags , 300WM .. $3 a shot to kill these small hogs ... suddenly $1 barnes doesn't sound so bad .
Old 04-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #83
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

9” Sons of Liberty Gunworks SBR. Scoped. Does fine on head shots. When pigs start running it just doesn’t have the *** to penetrate well and the distance is extremely limited. My grendel at 18” does it way better.

Blackout will work. Like my bow. But I don’t shoot running pigs at 100 yards with a bow at night lol.

I’ve shot supers and subs. Subs are awful on near any angle except head shots. But hell a 17 will kill em with a head shot.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #84
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Maybe you mean 3/1000ths of an inch...

No Iím talking about 7.62x39 (AK) vs 7.62x35 (300 blackout). Blaistically there isnít enough of a difference to even discuss.

Cost is another discussion.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #85
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

The blackout was designedly around a 9Ē barrel. It uses magnum pistol powder which makes it efficient in short barrels. I wouldnít waste my time on a 300 blackout in a 16Ē barrel, but it works fantastically in short barrels.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #86
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post

Actually he does. People comparing full size cartridges (I.e. 243 above) to an intermediate cartridge is asinine. They arenít even close in the realm of performance, rifles, etc...

Old 04-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #87
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the place

I have a remington 700 in 300aac with a sig can and scope. Killed alot of stuff with it. Even reached out on hogs at 400 yards sub sonic. Cool round but if your shooting out further then 200 yards go with something else. The round was orginally built to be put in submachine like the honey badger to replace the aging mp5sd whihc fires 9mm.

All in all if you have the money do it. I have liked my results!

Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 04-19-2021 at 01:36 PM.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #88
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
ahah .. I shoot 110's because i like them and they are cheap to shoot.
i shoot supers because subs drop 1 mil every 25 yards ,and with thermal it's too hard to judge distance ... 300BLK was around way before 6.8 and grendel.
and i have one of each of those too, but they all work and BLK fit in all my mags , the other 2 don't. and i kill everything i shoot , so why use the others?
my grendel is a 24". the 6.8 is a 16" wilson combat side charge. i put together..
the grendel i use wolf ammo that i pull the fmj bullets out and replace them with control chaos .. but dead is dead ... the blackout lays them down just fine .. and when i shoot them 300 and further ... 168gr speer gold dot in my 308 is my go to as it shoots phenomenal .68 of an inch at 400 ... about .25moa ...

but .. let me get this straight .. the guy who can't manage to kill a pig with
2 shots of a gun with over 1300ft/lbs calling anyone a rookie?
you need a 300WM ?.. most people who lack skill compensate and go bigger ... cause things just don't die otherwise ... what a lame excuse.

no , i think you need to gtfo ... and go practice .. seems all you know how to do well is talk smack .

You started the smack, cupcake. I don't care what you shoot your pigs with, I'm sure your biologist is super proud of the pictures you send him.

Why don't you use the BO 300 and further? Rhetorical, I know why.

I lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig, though I am perfectly capable of making it. Did so twice on that one boar (I have no idea what bullets those were). We shoot hundreds a year, many running, some at poor angles, and the Grendel does a superior job at stopping them.

My son uses the rifle as his primary hunting weapon, and though he is a good shot, he's not always as precise as we'd like yet...therefore I use a superior cartridge for both purposes. Which in our case is the Grendel, because it is a superior hunting round to the BO. Which has been my point all along.

I don't reload, and I don't want to hunt with subs, so the BO is of no use to me.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #89
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I wish I actually had all of that info, but neither of the rifles I shot belonged to me. I know the one in question was a 12" barrel with suppressor, and the Pulsar xq38. I don't know what bullets they were, but I know they were not subs. They were some type of hunting bullet, and I know that doesn't narrow it down much. I shot the hog in question right below the ear right behind the eye, with his head up, broad side. The same place I've shot hundreds of pigs before, with everything from a .22LR on up to whatever....all died on the spot, every one but that one.

I don't know what bullet it was, what powder it was. I do know either of the shots should have, and HAVE, killed that pig where it stood with every other round/projectile. I've killed dozens with .223 fmjs with the same shot over the years, and I'll go back to that if ammo stays scarce.

The guys who owned the 3 BOs on our lease all had similar experiences, some I witnessed, some I did not.

I won't belabor the point further, because I don't care what others shoot, or that certain guys are in love with their certain round. The OP asked for opinions.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #90
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
You started the smack, cupcake. I don't care what you shoot your pigs with, I'm sure your biologist is super proud of the pictures you send him.

Why don't you use the BO 300 and further? Rhetorical, I know why.

I lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig, though I am perfectly capable of making it. Did so twice on that one boar (I have no idea what bullets those were). We shoot hundreds a year, many running, some at poor angles, and the Grendel does a superior job at stopping them.

My son uses the rifle as his primary hunting weapon, and though he is a good shot, he's not always as precise as we'd like yet...therefore I use a superior cartridge for both purposes. Which in our case is the Grendel, because it is a superior hunting round to the BO. Which has been my point all along.

I don't reload, and I don't want to hunt with subs, so the BO is of no use to me.
cupcake ? who's talking smack ?

quote : Why don't you use the BO 300 and further? Rhetorical, I know why.

you already forgot posts from page 1 ? 280 yards , 2.1 mil ... dropped like a stone! .... and you were saying ?????

but let me get this straight ..you lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig.. your words not mine...

And you have no personal experience to boot, it's not even your gun ... and you don't even know what kind of bullets you were shooting .. again your words not mine

****! does that mean you don't even own a bow either ?

you could have saved a lot of time to everyone and just say you have no idea what you're talking about.

me on the other hand , i like making my own bullets, building my own guns and getting max performance out of them , i got nothing but time to build on my skills .. so i don't need anything bigger to do the job .. my 300blk ar weighs 5.8 lbs, super quiet suppressed , i can carry 30 rd of ammo in a single mag , and i can carry it all night without breaking a sweat ... when i shoot , my neighbor doesn't even hear me , and often pigs show up at other feeders where they get the same fate ...

so maybe i don't shoot hundreds of them a year like "we". cause i'm sure it's not just you, you probably take the credit for your buddies too ... I only own 165 acres .. 30 to 50 a year is pretty typical , i don't totally want to eradicate them .. i'd have nothing else to shoot at ... just saw 2 sows this weekend with 26 piglets .. most with spots still ... fresh batch of targets
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #91
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

you already forgot posts from page 1 ? 280 yards , 2.1 mil ... dropped like a stone! .... and you were saying ?????

but let me get this straight ..you lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig.. your words not mine...

And you have no personal experience to boot, it's not even your gun ... and you don't even know what kind of bullets you were shooting .. again your words not mine

you could have saved a lot of time to everyone and just say you have no idea what you're talking about.

me on the other hand , i like making my own bullets, building my own guns and getting max performance out of them , i got nothing but time to build on my skills .. so i don't need anything bigger to do the job .. my 300blk ar weighs 5.8 lbs, super quiet suppressed , i can carry 30 rd of ammo in a single mag , and i can carry it all night without breaking a sweat ... when i shoot , my neighbor doesn't even hear me , and often pigs show up at other feeders where they get the same fate ...

so maybe i don't shoot hundreds of them a year like "we". cause i'm sure it's not just you, you probably take the credit for your buddies too ... I only own 165 acres .. 30 to 50 a year is pretty typical , i don't totally want to eradicate them .. i'd have nothing else to shoot at ... just saw 2 sows this weekend with 26 piglets .. most with spots still ... fresh batch of targets

You havenít made a post yet without criticizing someone else. Thatís either ďsmackĒ, ignorance, or youíre just so emotionally connected to this round, that you canít make a point otherwise.

You donít use it at longer ranges because itís inadequate, at those ranges. There are ďAR15Ē rounds far more adequate at those ranges than the BO. Why not use them rather than the ďRPGĒ 308?

Yes, I lack the time and inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig, that will anchor it with a BO, when I can use the Grendel and watch them die at most angles....then go on and kill some more. I donít give two wet farts who hears it, and Iíve had all the personal experience I need in several nights, to know there is a better option. Enough confirmed shot placements to know....regardless of who owned the rifle.

I donít make bullets, I donít want to. I donít want to stand around in the woods waiting for a pig to turn, I want to kill them. ďWEĒ (that means myself and others, for the phonetically challenged) kill hundreds a year. I kill 30-60 a year hunting weekends when my son isnít there...I donít have to take credit for ****.

I actually do own a bow, and I shot and killed 5 or 6 pigs with it in a couple weeks last year. I donít get time to bowhunt like I used to...in fact I just bought my son an ďRPG crossbowĒ so he can hunt in archery season this year...although I guess I could tell him to use his 40lb compound...which is kinda like the BLACKOUT of the bow world...

If you love your BO, great. Sleep with it, play with it, whatever you want to do. Doesnít matter to me.

The OP asked for thoughts on the round, and I told him I had no use for it. You couldnít say your piece without resorting to insults, thatís fine too. I know Mike loves his, and I have immense respect for his understanding of EVERY round, and the weapons that use them. He owns, and reloads, most of them.

The Grendel is a superior hunting round for the way we hunt pigs, and deer to a lesser extent. Youíve essentially admitted as such by admitting it takes a less perfect shot to anchor a pig, with all of your ďrpgĒ horse ****. Thatís why I use it. Thatís why you use a .308 at greater distances.

The consensus amongst 4 guys on our lease (the other 3 owned BOs, and 2 traded them for The 6.5) is that the 6.5 Grendel is superior. I donít give a **** what you think about my, or their abilities.

I wonít discuss it here further, I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 04-19-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #92
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:

How how far did the one you shot in the heart run?

I shot one a couple of years in the heart. I was using my 5.56 and shooting 55 grain v-max.
The pig was walking left to right and away from me. Bullet went in behind the last rib. Huntstand said it ran about 78 yards....
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #93
imyomama
Ten Point

dropped in its tracks ... he didn't even make a step ... zoomed in on the pic as you can barely see the stand in the pic and that was my phone zoomed in all the way too ... it was so far , i never heard the impact and tall grass so i didn't see impact either ... he just stood there ... then wobbled and dropped right there ... i so wished i had this on video ...it was awesome ... bullet when between ribs on both sides .. never hit bone but you can see from the heart that the bullet had mushroomed... i've shot deer with my 243 from 416 yards before , but this one was special to me. i get a sense of accomplishment from it ... wasn't a huge buck but i got ot shoulder mounted.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #94
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Fad gun
X2
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #95
bowhunterhelm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

It's my favorite little gun inside 100 yards. I love it! Myself and my daughter have killed plenty of hogs and deer with it.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #96
imyomama
Ten Point

now that i have built in recording on my taipan handheld thermal , and i setup my reap-ir profile for my 22lr AR , i'm going to try to hunt one of my blind with cyclade 50 grain subsonic 22lr ... feeder is 50 to 60 yards away , so that will be perfect for hog ear shots ..
hopefully they will show up early at that feeder ... this location is close to a road and with my neighbor signing with the windmill people , there has been ton of traffic on that road and they don't show up there like they used to, or really late into the night ...
Old 04-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #97
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:

I kill 30-60 a year hunting weekends when my son isnít there...I donít have to take credit for ****.
let me get this straight .. you call me a rookie for killing hundreds, then admit yourself you only kill 30-60 a year ..

you call me buttercup ?

but i'm the one attacking you ???

i've seen your posts as well as some of your buddies on here too ... and while i am opinionated , at least i admit it ...

so own it! you also admitted you don;'t even own one, never did ... just borrowed one with bullets you don't even know what they were ...

so i'm glad you decided to stop replying , because you're just digging yourself deeper. ...

and yes i use my 308 rpr for 300 yard shots at night ... more energy , shorter flight time , shoots flatter .. and has more magnification scope ... why would i not? i could even use my 260 to 700 yards if i wanted to .. but again flight time would be an issue as pigs don't stay in place ... but at least i know i could make the shot ... because i practice instead of talking smack ... and yes i can hit that far consistently ... do it every weekend ... and this is a clean piece of steel , no video trickery ... i know that i'm capable of ... but i'm sure you'll find some way to criticize that too ... and i really don't care at this point ... your comments offer no value to this discussion ... but if killing pigs by shooting them in the as-s is your thing, put that grendel down and switch to 45/50... then you'll be able to say "i got no use for it" about the grendel too.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #98
trophy8
Pope & Young

Who gives a ****. Shoot the pig in the pig with anything so long as they die. Good lord lol.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #99
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Who gives a ****. Shoot the pig in the pig with anything so long as they die. Good lord lol.
^^^^Winner winner porkchop dinner^^^^

MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #100
imyomama
Ten Point

op asked opinion on 300blk .. i use it every week ...

Dale Moser on the other hand , doesn't own one , never did ..
borrowed one , shooting bullets he didn't even know what they were ...
starting taking smack , calling me a rookie , when he shoots no more pigs than i do successfully with 300blk ..

saying 300blk sucks ..

I disagree .. it doesn't suck.. it just requires a certain amount of skills ...
and 6.8 or grendel is no different.. anyone who says hogs drop no matter where you shoot them doesn't know much about hog hunting ....

by the same logic an ar10 chambered in 308, 243, 6.5 creed is superior to 6.8 or grendel .. but you don't see me saying 6.8 or grendel suck because of it ...

they're all good and that's my point, and i own them all as well!

so yall go rub each other's backs on a grendel thread if you want .. heck i may comment on that thread too .. i like my grendel ...

peace! out!