Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #51
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

I headed out there on Friday to check out the area I have hunted.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #52
jnd1959
Ten Point

Were hunting dove on the 12th. Hope things settle down by then.
My daughter does her first solo jump on the 13th so it's far west and then far east. I'll be tired.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #53
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Pre congrats to your daughter JND.

I jump so-low every day when I get outta bed, when I used to jump up.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #54
jnd1959
Ten Point

Thanks. She asked if I wanted to jump but I'm bumping up against the weight limit. I'd have to jump naked. That's not good for any of us. I will jump up to reach the cookies on the top shelf.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #55
texanatc
Six Point

Hunt In: Aquilla/Whitney

Good luck to everyone and be safe!
texanatc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #56
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Look, an ATC sighting! Hope you are doing well, still at Spinks?
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #57
texanatc
Six Point

Yes sir razor! Our traffic is up this year, been steady pushing tin.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #58
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

The only time I ever got to go up with my grandfather was at Spinks. He hired a half hour ride. I was very very young. He used to fly in and out of there all the time many many many moons ago before he quit flying. Was a member of the Ox5 club here in Ft. Worth. And was one of the Silver Eagles. He used to have an old rotary in his office on 28th Street for the Ox5 Club, after the city made him move from where the water gardens are now. My dad has some pics of some of the Jennys he had. As well as others.

Good see-n ya post ATC.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #59
texanatc
Six Point

Its been awhile TG, the airport has grown alot. It used to be called Oak grove airport, and the old runway is still there it's just covered up with shipping containers.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #60
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Yes, it's changed a great deal! Heck, now that you mention it, I remember it being called Oak Grove . Entrance used to be on the north end, if I remember correctly.

Arlington used to have one east of Bowen Rd and between Arkansas Ln and California Ln. for small craft. Basically just a packed field ran N and S. It's all covered up with houses now.

My grandfather told me one time about him flying over W. Berry St. As he was passing by, they were letting out church at the Berry St UMC. He said he seen his dad ans landed in the "field" to the east of the church. The high school is there now. Pascal HS if I remember right.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #61
Storm
Pope & Young

Sure was a nice cool morning being at Whitney this morning. I went down there to train my dog in the fields and the water at the dam. Shes ready to run an event October 2nd but going to work her hard til then.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #62
Deafishunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill County

Just a real quick question for the hunters. This year will be my first time going out On public land, and just trying to decide if it’s better to be in a tree or on the ground.

What tree stand Set up do you use?

Obviously it should be big, or heavy to carry.
Deafishunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #63
AfghanVet
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafishunter View Post
Just a real quick question for the hunters. This year will be my first time going out On public land, and just trying to decide if itís better to be in a tree or on the ground.

What tree stand Set up do you use?

Obviously it should be big, or heavy to carry.
I use a tree saddle. I cobbled mine together but there are some companies that make them. tethrd is one https://tethrdnation.com
AfghanVet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #64
Deafishunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanVet View Post
I use a tree saddle. I cobbled mine together but there are some companies that make them. tethrd is one https://tethrdnation.com
That is sweet! Heard of people using those but never actually seen one. Would love to have one, but A little pricey for me at the moment.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #65
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

About the only thing I don't have in my bag-o-tricks is a tree saddle of some sort. (I admire the fellers who are young enough and those in good enough shape who use them.)

I've got ladder stands with wheels that double as game carts, 5 pop-ups, carry in chairs of all sorts for when using a brush blind or pop-up, couple of different hang-on stands with some aluminum rapid rails, and a Lone Wolf Wide Sit-n-climb. And all kinds of blind cover gear (works in tree stands also, including the climber) so I don't have to cut any fresh vegetation. I can even use just the cover material as ground cover by it's self. I'm more of the mentality to match the place and conditions with the equipment. Also known as "Adapt, and over come". Granted, it has taken me a lifetime to accumulate it all. Some things were bought twice or three times from selling once or twice . Or upgrading.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-11-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #66
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hope everbody been enjoying the weather. I'ma just glad it ain't a hunderd any more. Fishing should start picking back up with the cooler surface temps. Think all this rain pushed a lotta dove out. Been read-n reports of some teal in. Got my VST pump for my boat motor in a week or so ago. Might try to put it in tomorrow morning, between church services on-line. Then have an appointment with one of our retired pastors who has been appointed Pastor America by the UMC, at my mother's house.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #67
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

And both PK and Grandbury are releasing water. W lake has been coming back up some.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #68
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is currently releasing 9,000 cfs of water. This will cause Grandbury to increase it's release rate. Grandbury's current release rate is 4,868 cfs. This will have an effect on the Brazos river above Whitney Lake. And the W lake level it's self. The W lake currently stands at 1.54 feet below normal. It has been coming up since all the recent rain started. I expect that with the current releases of both PK and Grandbury, and the predicted rain forecasting for the areas, the W lake will reach or exceed normal levels.

The A lake is currently at .15 feet below normal.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #69
Cowpolks-TR
Six Point

Hunt In: Where ever I get the chance

Glad that it is getting to be that time of year. For the new guys, that are thinking of getting started, i like to find a spot, but be able to move and adjust quickly as well.

I have a couple spots i have been corning for a couple months now. put a couple of cameras up to see what was coming in, usually don't put cameras up, but had some old ones that were somewhat sacrificial. well last week, the corp land folks made a sweep of my area, and left me a coupe of little laminated notes.

Seems to be more hogs than normal this year for whatever reason.
Cowpolks-TR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #70
Deafishunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpolks-TR View Post
Glad that it is getting to be that time of year. For the new guys, that are thinking of getting started, i like to find a spot, but be able to move and adjust quickly as well.

I have a couple spots i have been corning for a couple months now. put a couple of cameras up to see what was coming in, usually don't put cameras up, but had some old ones that were somewhat sacrificial. well last week, the corp land folks made a sweep of my area, and left me a coupe of little laminated notes.

I am currently looking the areas. Looking to get my first public hunting done

I had done some scouting around lake Aquilla, very thick brush, hard to really move around the area. But did see some deer, tons of hog uprooting areas.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #71
Deafishunter
Six Point

Went out scouting for places In Aquilla and Whitney for the first time.

Came to think about it, how are most of yíall able to get around this thick brush?
Itís crazy thick.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #72
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Thick is why the hogs like it . And not many people will hunt it when it's like that. If you look hard enough, you will find a spot in there somewhere. But being thick is why the critters like it. They can bed up in it. And not have to worry as much about people. I'd try going under it if you can't go around or over it. I've had to crawl into some places on my hands and knees before, to pull a hog out without knowing for sure it was dead. I just carry my SOG Dagget II on my chest just in case.

Had one buddy that hog hunts over there, wound one. And he went in after it. It came back at him. He shot it again with his bow hitting it again. It went on past him. Then turned around at him again. He went to kick it, missed, and hog hit his other leg knocking him down. He was fighting it off with his bow and trying to kick it while he was on the ground. It finally died. But he got his calf cut up pretty good. Had to get several stitches and some antibiotics.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #73
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

But, there is some monster deer over there. Just ask erick1984. He'll tell ya all about them. He trys to deny it. But we rib each other when he's around.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #74
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK has reduced it's water release rate to 530cfs at the moment. But Grandbury is still releasing a high volume rate of 8,126 cfs. If these two lakes don't get any more rain, then maybe they will cut the flow back and the W lake will steady out.

Right now, the W lake is .53 feet below normal and still coming up. And with at least another 2 days of inflow, it should top out a little over normal. Maybe even a foot or so. That is, if we don't get any more rain in the upper Brazos basin.

A lake is .19 feet below normal.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #75
GunnerHunter
Four Point

So this year I will be taking my wife and kids in the woods more. I told my wife I need to get a pop up for us. She got me a pop-up apartment complex(The thing is huge). So what is the best and fastest way to hide it from deer or pigs. I dont want to leave it out, so I will be putting it up when they go.
GunnerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #76
jnd1959
Ten Point

I use fake grass on my duck blinds. It lasts longer. But anything natural that will break up the outline will work. Can't cut limbs or plants (I'm pretty sure but may be getting my rules mixed up with other sites) but you can use dead wood. If you can situate it in behind live plants and fill in with stuff you bring with you it can work out well.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:10 AM   #77
GunnerHunter
Four Point

Thanks.. I have a roll of that leafy netting that I could use. But l guess it would still have the same outline.
GunnerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #78
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I use fake grass on my duck blinds. It lasts longer. But anything natural that will break up the outline will work. Can't cut limbs or plants (I'm pretty sure but may be getting my rules mixed up with other sites) but you can use dead wood. If you can situate it in behind live plants and fill in with stuff you bring with you it can work out well.
This is what I did. And still do in some cases. But I use a different product now, most of the time. It's called "CamoFlex".

You can get it in green or brown. I've got both and can mix them. I have basically the whole system so I can cover all aspects, even tree stands. And can also use it without a ground blind. Works great!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Old 09-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #79
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I had somebody leave a note on my truck one time, telling me not to be cutting vegetation. Guess they saw me brushing in my blind with it. Or carrying it in on my pack.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #80
Ender
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpolks-TR View Post

There does seem to be more hogs this year. If it wasnít so hard on arrows Iíd be hunting them a lot more.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #81
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

A hog in the freezer is better than going without red meat for another year, for me.

With exception chicken and turkey, I've gone back to a wild game diet for meat. Same diet I was on before 15 years ago. I'll still buy veggies at the grocery though.

Last year was rough. Had to get some health issues back in order. Was the first year since about 1982 that I didn't hunt anything at all. I wanted to go. But to many other things got in the way. Since quitting beef and store bought pork back in June of 2019, and started eating right, I'd dropped lil over 50 lbs. Only gained back 5 lbs. Still got another 20 to go. But I'll have to burn that off. And my life schedule is now a little more open now due to recent events. So, hopefully I can get it done soon.

I'll be stocking the freezer this year!

Old 09-17-2020, 09:09 PM   #82
jnd1959
Ten Point

We're about done with last year's hog. I'll take one any day.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #83
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Well, PK has almost doubled it's release rate from yesterday to 1,075 cfs. Grandbury is releasing almost double what PK is releasing at 2,186 cfs.

And guess what folks? The W lake is above normal and is currently .23 feet above normal. They still aren't releasing much (25 to 26cfs). And probably won't unless a big rain comes in the upper Brazos basin.

And the A lake has gone down a little more to .23 feet below normal.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #84
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Anyone fished aquilla lately??

Bout time to get kayak wet, now that itís cooling off.
Buckshot-73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #85
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Well, PK has almost doubled it's release rate from yesterday to 1,075 cfs. Grandbury is releasing almost double what PK is releasing at 2,186 cfs.

And guess what folks? The W lake is above normal and is currently .23 feet above normal. They still aren't releasing much (25 to 26cfs). And probably won't unless a big rain comes in the upper Brazos basin.

And the A lake has gone down a little more to .23 feet below normal.
I was there yesterday TG and my dog didnt like the current in the river after they opened the gates.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #86
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Storm, hope the pup is fine.

You shoulda had a rod with ya. Them cats and stripers always go to feeding when the gates open up.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #87
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I was there yesterday TG and my dog didnt like the current in the river after they opened the gates.

Have you had that pup on any birds yet?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #88
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Have you had that pup on any birds yet?
Haven't hunted her but we do use ducks and pheasants to train with .
Old 09-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #89
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Grandbury has cut it's water release rate back to 896 cfs. This is good for the upper end of the W lake. I have fished way up the Brazos in the river with this water release. And by the time it gets to Chisholm Trail Park, it's almost non existent at that rate. But remember, the water takes about a day to a day and a half to get there from Grandbury. PK is only releasing a little over 500cfs. So I don't expect Grandbury to bump theirs back up unless PK does. W lake is only .26 feet above normal.

A lake is .29 feet below normal.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #90
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
Anyone fished aquilla lately??

Bout time to get kayak wet, now that itís cooling off.
Nope, but thinking about hitting A or W this weekend. Thinking of lower W for shallow bass.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #91
coop
Ten Point

Hope everyone is well for this season. From what I've seen so far, the bucks are looking better than the last couple of years. and like said above there seems to be more hogs than usual.

Good luck and happy hunting to everyone.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #92
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Thinking of hitting the river for fishing this evening. Any word on the bite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #93
Ender
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

Did pretty good on hogs a few weeks back. Ruined both my arrows in the process though.
https://youtu.be/Iu5RwKaIJUs
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #94
Dalep
Nubbin' Buck

Long time reader finally joined. Moved here from SC for last 5 years where I only hunted WMA and came to Texas at least once a year for guided or diy hunts. This will be my first deer season here and went out last weekend to check a few spots around Aquilla. Plan to spend my Saturday out there again this weekend walking different areas. Going in by canoe.

Wife and I plan to hunt every weekend we can starting next Saturday as it’s just our favorite past time together (other then her fear of snakes).

Not asking for spots or anything, found some beaten trails and even an older ladder stand but love any advice on how deer behave once season starts and where they prefer to be. Picking two spots this weekend and going to sit morning till lunch then move to other spot so at least cover some ground with everything being new.

Thanks
Dale
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #95
AfghanVet
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Did pretty good on hogs a few weeks back. Ruined both my arrows in the process though.
https://youtu.be/Iu5RwKaIJUs
Nice shot. Instant blood.
AfghanVet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #96
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Nice work Ender!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #97
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalep View Post
Long time reader finally joined. Moved here from SC for last 5 years where I only hunted WMA and came to Texas at least once a year for guided or diy hunts. This will be my first deer season here and went out last weekend to check a few spots around Aquilla. Plan to spend my Saturday out there again this weekend walking different areas. Going in by canoe.

Wife and I plan to hunt every weekend we can starting next Saturday as it’s just our favorite past time together (other then her fear of snakes).

Not asking for spots or anything, found some beaten trails and even an older ladder stand but love any advice on how deer behave once season starts and where they prefer to be. Picking two spots this weekend and going to sit morning till lunch then move to other spot so at least cover some ground with everything being new.

Thanks
Dale

Welcome to TBH Dale. Pull up a stump, have a sit, and warm your bones by the campfire. Great to hear you and your wife share a passion like hunting.

As to deer behavior, they get real skittish real fast. And I've seen-em walk around looking up in the trees rather than on the ground, by the end of Oct. . Lotta times they won't move till very last light. Other times, all day long. And still other times only at night or not at all. What they prefer is to be away from everybody for sure . Just like a lot of hunters sometimes. As it can get crowded out there sometimes.

As to the A lake, just make sure your wife has a good set of snake boots to wear when she's out of the boat . And the best to yall this year.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #98
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK has it's gate open at 245cfs. And Grandbury is releasing 459 cfs. Those 450 numbers are my fav for river fishing.

W lake is at .02 feet above normal. It's dropping faster than I want.

A lake is .33 feet below normal.

Hope everybody is ready for the opening of Deer season. And that all have a great and wonderful year! And as I've posted for years back when we had signatures:

"The true trophy is not in the size of the animal acquired, but the experiences and memories made in acquiring it." - MikeB.

Yall, make lots of memories! Enough to last a lifetime, especially for when you get old.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #99
Lightning48
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jones County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalep View Post

Thanks
Dale
You did get your permit ?
Lightning48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2020, 10:36 PM   #100
Dalep
Nubbin' Buck

Yes the wife and I got our permits Monday
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top