Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state
Default Metal detector hobby

Been wanting to get into this for a while. Anyone on here recommend a good starter device?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

you will not belive this but harbor freight. 50.00 use this to get the digging tools you find worked best. then go better.
bryan sandlin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
Stick bow
Six Point

Hunt In: Boling

I have a always had Garrett detectors been in this for a long time . What area are you from ? There are only a few shops around that you can rent them from to see what you like .
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I have a Garrett 250............. It's an excellent beginners model......
Cost about 250 as well..........
I haven't found much, of any value.........
But, it sure is fun................
Especially around old buildings and stuff.....(between the back door, and the out-house) .............
But remember the two cardinal rules...........
#1-- Always get permission........
#2---Cover your holes.............
If there's a club locally...... You might check them out.........
They sometimes, get permission to hunt areas that you alone
might not.......
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

depends on where you are looking and what you are looking for etc. I currently have at least 5 different ones that I can remember
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #6
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana
Default Metal detector hobby

Thanks for the Harbor Freight recommendation. My wife and I were just saying we should get one. The reviews are really good on the HF web site.

We live on 30 acres a couple miles from the largest placer (surface) gold strike in Montana history.

The Vigilantes (good guys) hung 23 ‘bad guys’ in the winter of 1863-64. A couple were hung a mile below us in the Cottonwood trees. There’s stories that a lot of their stolen gold was never recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #7
Katsaregood
Four Point

When I started metal detecting I did so by jumping in head first with an expensive detector. That was after researching brands a long time. I donÂ’t regret spending the money. My next purchase will be a Minelab. Really was hoping to start searching new areas in a different state before spring. Avoiding venomous snakes is one reason but it’s also easier to dig when grass and weeds are dormant.

Last edited by Katsaregood; 04-18-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #8
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

We bought our daughter a metal detector years ago, from Academy. It has been pretty good. I use it a lot more than she has. Works great for finding lost brass. I have found all types of stuff with her metal detector. I have found stuff, as deep as 2 ft. deep, with that metal detector. Turns out it was a old pan. I can't tell you how well it would work on gold. I have found brass, aluminum, iron, steel, tin, even pot metal, which I think is zinc. If I ever found gold with the metal detector, I would probably flip out.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #9
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I recommend the Garrett Apex for anyone wanting to get started. In my opinion it's the best mid-priced detector on the market at just under $500. It uses multi-frequency technology like the more expensive and very popular Minelab Equinox 600 or 800, but for about half the price. A used Garrett AT-PRO can be bought for about $350-400 and is a good older machine.

I've been detecting with a club for about 25 years, and the biggest mistake I see beginners make is wasting their money on cheap detectors. They usually don't use them for long....either getting discouraged and giving up or quickly realizing they should have bought a better machine and upgrading. Those that are serious about detecting and put in the time to research good areas and get out and hunt will pay for even the most expensive detector in a short time.

I highly recommend joining a club in your area. You can learn a lot about the hobby in a very short time from other members, as well as participate in group hunts on some great sites.
I've been fortunate the past few months to have the opportunity to hunt several sites that have been very exciting, digging coins and artifacts from the 1800's and even a few that are likely from the 1700's.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #10
AggieRod
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr/Hidalgo Co.

You can’t go wrong with a Garrett.
AggieRod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #11
sandbill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague County

We got a Bounty Hunter detector from Cabela's years ago. We have been pleased with it.
sandbill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Take a look at Tesoro, ours has been great.

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #13
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Garret was out of Dallas area not sure now..,,,Tesoro ,Fisher ,Bounty Hunter, all 4 V G....

Need good ears hearing tells all...some have meter face/some digital but I learned with ears and pretty well had to give up due to bad hearing..Walkin and watching meter face was not for me

Last edited by cva34; 04-19-2021 at 07:59 AM.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #14
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

awesome info. Im going to do some club searching im my area. Im located in Willis.
I have been eyeballing the Garrett brand , i just was not sure.

thanks again
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #15
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I have a Garrett 250............. It's an excellent beginners model......
Cost about 250 as well..........
I haven't found much, of any value.........
But, it sure is fun................
Especially around old buildings and stuff.....(between the back door, and the out-house) .............
But remember the two cardinal rules...........
#1-- Always get permission........
#2---Cover your holes.............
If there's a club locally...... You might check them out.........
They sometimes, get permission to hunt areas that you alone
might not.......
This is what I have. Works great.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #16
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Izoro

I don't really know anything about metal detectors, but I borrowed a friends' equipment one time to explore around an old school house foundation on our property. Something he had that was VERY helpful was a little hand-held device (about the size of a maglight) that you would use when you start digging after the big detector found something. That was very convenient since I'd be down on my hands and knees digging around.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #17
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
I don't really know anything about metal detectors, but I borrowed a friends' equipment one time to explore around an old school house foundation on our property. Something he had that was VERY helpful was a little hand-held device (about the size of a maglight) that you would use when you start digging after the big detector found something. That was very convenient since I'd be down on my hands and knees digging around.
Yes, a pointer works great. Garret makes a nice one. The Chinese knock off works pretty good and doesn’t break the bank for a beginner
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

I have a Whites and it works well. I have found some jewelry and coins with it.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #19
Native Texan
Ten Point

A pin-pointer saves a lot of time digging and is a must if your serious about detecting. I even use mine to find lead fragments or shot in wild game meat...cheaper than a chipped tooth.

Metal Detecting Stuff in the Woodlands usually has used ones for sale if you want to save some money.

https://metaldetectingstuff.com/
Old 04-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #20
Bard
Nubbin' Buck

The more you spend the deeper it goes is the basic rule. A $5000 detector in a gold rich area will pay for itself maybe in one day. A $500 detector may never pay for itself, but of course, it is about if you are just having fun or getting serious.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #21
Native Texan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksig512 View Post
awesome info. Im going to do some club searching im my area. Im located in Willis.
I have been eyeballing the Garrett brand , i just was not sure.

thanks again
There is a club in Montgomery County and another in Tomball that I believe would be the closest to you.

https://www.tamdc.org/member-clubs
Old 04-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #22
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsaregood View Post
When I started metal detecting I did so by jumping in head first with an expensive detector. That was after researching brands a long time. I donÂ’t regret spending the money. My next purchase will be a Minelab. Really was hoping to start searching new areas in a different state before spring. Avoiding venomous snakes is one reason but it’s also easier to dig when grass and weeds are dormant.
I use a Minelab Vanquish 540 which has most of the same electronics as their more expensive Equinox series but no ground balance.
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #23
Jon Stewart
Six Point

Wife and I started out with cheap Bounty Hunters and I did real well. My wife didn't take to detecting so much. The more I detected the better detector I bought. Besides the 2 Bounty Hunters which I gave to the grandkids to play with I have a Whites DFX and a AT Pro but my go to detector is my DEUS.

Also a pin pointer is a must.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:49 PM   #24
Criminalneg
Spike

I use a cheap academy detector and do pretty good
Criminalneg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #25
Katsaregood
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
I use a Minelab Vanquish 540 which has most of the same electronics as their more expensive Equinox series but no ground balance.
Very cool. One of my uncles helped locate and place some historical markers in the 1940’s and 1950’s in rural areas. If the meth heads haven’t stolen certain markers of interest, the plan is to gain permission to search a few areas. A wealthy guy was thought to have long ago buried silver coins in jars all around his house. The house and former owner are long gone but the foundation is still there. Hope I can get permission to search it.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:26 PM   #26
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
The more you spend the deeper it goes is the basic rule. A $5000 detector in a gold rich area will pay for itself maybe in one day. A $500 detector may never pay for itself, but of course, it is about if you are just having fun or getting serious.
This is the unfortunate truth. Another truth is you wouldn’t believe how deep some items are, or how shallow some items are.

Goodluck
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 AM   #27
Bill
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post

What do you mean a gold rich area?

The north end of the 14 mile Alder Gulch (Montana) placer gold mining area is below us, the last tailings pile from the early 1900s dredge barges is behind the American flag on a ranch. View from our kitchen.

Would you scan those piles with a metal detector?

Old 04-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #28
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
What do you mean a gold rich area?

The north end of the 14 mile Alder Gulch (Montana) placer gold mining area is below us, the last tailings pile from the early 1900s dredge barges is behind the American flag on a ranch. View from our kitchen.

Would you scan those piles with a metal detector?

Me?
No I'd be way too busy admiring that view :-)
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #29
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I have the bounty hunter from Academy. Does really well. I have never found anything of value in my 10 years now of detecting. I have however realized that there is trash everywhere. Even the most virgin lands I have done detecting on have trash.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #30
Native Texan
Ten Point

If you want to find the gold rings and jewelry you have to dig some trash since they read the same as pulltabs.

One club I know has had their planted silver hunts at a local park for over 10 years, and had 2 hunts there every year in the same small area. Last year one guy stayed after the hunt and dug a 1907 $5 gold coin that had been passed over hundreds of times because everyone was only digging the silver.

Trash can mask the signal from better targets too, so if you know you are in a good spot dig it all.

Trash can also tell you a lot about who was once there and when. If it's old trash you know there is a better chance of a good find.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #31
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post

Trash can also tell you a lot about who was once there and when. If it's old trash you know there is a better chance of a good find.
I agree and dig all registered hits up.
The cans give a good timestamp of when someone in the distant past stood in that very same spot i'm now standing in...and got completely hammered.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #32
Native Texan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by man View Post
i agree and dig all registered hits up.
The cans give a good timestamp of when someone in the distant past stood in that very same spot i'm now standing in...and got completely hammered.
lol!!!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #33
Tight
Spike

Following
Tight is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #34
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Mine is a Bounty Hunter Lone Star Haven't used it too much but now I have little more time I plan on it.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #35
Native Texan
Ten Point

Research is the biggest part of successful metal detecting...along with getting out and hunting as often as possible. You just never know what's under your feet, and often there is no indication on the surface of what was once there.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #36
flinger
Ten Point

I have a Teknetics T2 metal detector and a Marko pin pointer that I really like. Like others have said you will dig allot of trash but I've found lots of cool stuff along with it. Watch a bunch of YouTube videos you will learn allot from them.
flinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #37
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

About 30-35 yrs ago i was scouting on a military base and discovered the foundation/remains of an old cabin deep in the woods. There was also a sunken spot which had been dug out. Came back later with the detector and found lots of square nails etc. The most interesting thing I found near the dug out place was a metal fixture off a coffin--
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #38
Bill
Pope & Young

I thought you were leading up to finding old ordnance or a part of a buried UFO.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #39
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I took my daughter's metal detector out today, my wife said, "You mean your metal detector." It's not my fault I am the only one that uses it.

I was going to start reloading some 380 ACP, for my daughter and wife's pistols, and remembered that we lost some of the brass, when my wife was shooting her pistol a few weeks ago. So I figured before I start loading, I would go find that brass.

On the way to the spot we were shooting her pistol a few weeks ago. I had the metal detector going, all the way there. I found some old rusted, into many pieces, bailing wire. Then three nails. Then found 8 pieces of 380 brass, which I am pretty sure is all the brass we lost. Then decided to make a trip up to the feeder and see what I could find. Nothing until I got to the feeder. As usual, I found about 8 old beer can pull tabs around the clearing where the feeder is, they grow up out of the ground, every time it rains. Up until today, that is all I have found with the metal detector around that clearing. Today, I hit the jackpot, I found two old Vienna sausage can tops, to add to my collection of beer can pull tabs. I have concluded, that that clearing used to be somebody's deer camp, back in the 70s and probably into the 80s. I concluded that a year or so ago, by the number of beer can pull tabs I have found in the area, as of a year ago and nothing else. Then now finding the Vienna sausage can tops, I am sure it was a old deer camp, back in the 70s. I have not found any old brass, I think the guys that were hunting there years ago, drank a lot more than they hunted.

So the mystery of the circle of rocks that looks like a old fire pit, has been solved. I found a circle of rocks that have been there for many years, there is stuff growing on the rocks and they are mostly buried. It was obvious, it was from someone's camp fire years ago, but I did not know from how long ago, But after finding about 80 or so beer can pull tabs and now the Vienna sausage can lids. My expert archelogy knowledge, tells me that was a hunting camp from the 1970s to 1980s.

Around the same time I found the rocks in a circle, up in the brush, in a area that has been long over grow, and covered with briars. Our weird old Cuban neighbor woman, told us, she has seen indian ghosts on our property, in the middle of the night, in the general area, of where I found the rocks in a circle. So it had me wondering how long those rocks had been there. But after finding all of the stuff, I have found since that point, I have ruled out it being a old indian camp, or old cowboy camp, or any type of camp, from prior to the 1900s.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #40
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath

You're welcome. Great series.

MassMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #41
Native Texan
Ten Point

Went out detecting with some friends today. Best thing that came out of the ground was a beautiful 1899 dime worth about $100. We also dug some very old glass, pottery, horseshoes, bullets, and misc. old junk. I added a "UMC Co. New Club No. 10" shotgun headstamp from about 1892 to my collection.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #42
gfulton
Ten Point

Been doing it for a long time with two Whites Spectrums. The ability to discriminate is the key.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #43
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
Been doing it for a long time with two Whites Spectrums. The ability to discriminate is the key.
Right........
When I first got mine (garret 250)........
A guy in a club, told me to get all different kinds of metal
put them on the ground, and learn the different sounds they
make..... It helps from digging up a lot of trash.....
It was good advice........
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #44
Katsaregood
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
That’s one of the features I do like about Whites. Still have a DFX. I’ve used several other brands. A Minelab will be my next purchase.