Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Laner7
Eight Point

Default Pit boss smoker help

I just got a pit boss smoker I did the ďburnoutĒ that is required for it a few days ago and yesterday I put a brisket in (11lbs) it has been on for about 13 hours now. My question is do yíall have issues with the built in thermometer reading different than another thermometer? The pit boss thermometer shows 225, but the other thermometer Iím using shows the smoker at 190. I have probs in and they are both reading around the same temperature at 170.
Laner7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

i have not had any major discrepancy with mine and i have calibrated with a meater probe and with a probe from thermopen
rsquared is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
Greylight318
Six Point

It depends on where the temp is read from on the smoker. I imagine one is on the grates and one is probably above the grates? This could lead to different readings.
Greylight318 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Laner7
Eight Point

The built in thermometer is towards the bottom I believe. The external one that I put in there is next to the brisket.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
mooch
Ten Point

Yes, I have the Pit Boss Austin XL and it has temperature discrepancies like you mentioned. I think part of the problem is the temp probe is located on the upper left side of the grill and the burner pot is in the middle. Iíve just learned where my hot/cool spots are and adjusted accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Greylight318
Six Point

It shouldn't matter too much as long as you know the meat temp. You will learn the smoker as you cook on it
Greylight318 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
Bdub25
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Test them both in ice water and boiling water.

Bdub25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Laner7
Eight Point

Okay, thanks. Iíll do that. As far as the brisket is should still be okay or is it going to get dried out? I have a pan of water in there with it. Still reading around 170 in the 2 meat probes
Old 04-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
Brett A
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch and Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laner7 View Post
Okay, thanks. I’ll do that. As far as the brisket is should still be okay or is it going to get dried out? I have a pan of water in there with it. Still reading around 170 in the 2 meat probes
You should be fine with the water. I don't think you will dry it out. You may hit a stall, but I wouldn't pull it until it reaches 190.
Brett A is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
mooch
Ten Point

Youíll be fine. Remember all pits will fluctuate to some degree. Sounds like your brisket is in itís stall right now. You can wrap it to help get through or just let it ride the stall out.

mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #11
Master Blaster
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
You should be fine with the water. I don't think you will dry it out. You may hit a stall, but I wouldn't pull it until it reaches 190.
I start probing it at 190 but never pulled one less than 200 before. I check it to see if it wants to grab the probe on the removal and as soon as it comes out freely i pull the brisket to rest. Just my 2 cents
Master Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #12
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

Mine has the same issue. I think its a combination of the internal probe location and the fact that Pit boss doesn't hold temp that well. The rec tec's and Pitts and Spitts hold temp way better from what I've seen.

Just watch you probes and act accordingly. I've cooked some good briskets on my Pit Boss. If the other companies offered an adjustable sere plate like the Pit Bosses, I would go buy one of them. The Pit Bosses are better pellet "grills" than most, but they're probably the worst pellet smokers if that makes any since.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #13
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Get a good set of probes and Ignore what the smoker is telling you.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
antonlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria TX & SW MO

Having a pan in will affect the temperature it's reading.
antonlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #15
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

The hood temp gauge will be different than the controller. They are two different materials taking measurements at two different locations. The thermocouples are normally above a heat plate so they don't get direct hot air whereas the temp gauge is getting hot air from the gap between the firebox and the heat plate. Most every pellet grill gives an average reading and is programmed to show a temp around the set temp when sometimes it will go 15-20 above or below the set temp. For example, if you have the smoker set for 220F, the controller will show 210 to 230 but the actual temps have a larger variance. A pellet grill cannot give a steady consistent temperature and also offer lots of smoke at the same time. The more smoke you see, the more temp variance you'll get. That being said, it's not that big of a deal to be 15-20 degrees off when smoking a brisket at 225F. I have tested Traeger, Pit Boss, RecTeq, etc. and they all operate very similarly.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #16
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylight318 View Post
It shouldn't matter too much as long as you know the meat temp. You will learn the smoker as you cook on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Get a good set of probes and Ignore what the smoker is telling you.

This is a pellet smoker so the pit temp does matter.

Smoking at 190 is way different than 225. If the OP smoker is like mine can only adjust in 25-degree increments.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #17
Laner7
Eight Point

Yeah mines the vertical pellet smoker. It does not have a thermometer on the hood. Just a digital one on the side. I had a different temp gauge that was showing the pit to be at 190, when the built in digital gauge was showing 225. Like mmoses said mine also only goes up in 25 degree increments..

The probes were reading pretty close to same temperature throughout +/- 5 degrees. I pulled the meat at 190* wrapped in tin foil and resting in the cooler for an hour or 2. It took every bit of 18/19 hours to get it done.. my smoker pit that I have at the ranch usually take 10 +/- hours to cook on.
Hopefully itíll turn out good. Thanks for the help, Iím a newbie on the pellet smoker.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #18
Criminalneg
Spike

Good to know
Criminalneg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 06:41 AM   #19
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Default Pit boss smoker help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
This is a pellet smoker so the pit temp does matter.

Smoking at 190 is way different than 225. If the OP smoker is like mine can only adjust in 25-degree increments.

I have a vertical pit boss and I go by what my good temp gages read for the food and pit temp. Couldnít care less what the PB gage says Mine only adjusts in 25 increments as well. Itís a common problem with those units. Iíll stand by my initial assessment.
Edit: also keep the temp probe at the back of the unit clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 04-20-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:43 AM   #20
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laner7 View Post
Yeah mines the vertical pellet smoker. It does not have a thermometer on the hood. Just a digital one on the side. I had a different temp gauge that was showing the pit to be at 190, when the built in digital gauge was showing 225. Like mmoses said mine also only goes up in 25 degree increments..

The probes were reading pretty close to same temperature throughout +/- 5 degrees. I pulled the meat at 190* wrapped in tin foil and resting in the cooler for an hour or 2. It took every bit of 18/19 hours to get it done.. my smoker pit that I have at the ranch usually take 10 +/- hours to cook on.

Hopefully itíll turn out good. Thanks for the help, Iím a newbie on the pellet smoker.

Always pull at probe tender vs. IT.
Every piece of meat is different. Enjoy the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #21
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

There was another thread about this. Someone suggested buying a new probe from Amazon that is supposed to be more accurate. I bought one but have not installed it yet. Love my Pit Boss though.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top