Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothing for west Texas hunting

Hey all,
    I’m going to be on a new (to me) lease out in Ozona this year. I always hunt deer up in Michigan with family. Clearly it’s 100% different. What am I going to need out that way for a season as far as sitting in blinds? No idea what the temps and stuff are like, I hear it’s quite cold and windy.

Also what camo patterns are good out that way? With Rifles I might just Carrhart it this year and see but I thought I’d watch the classifieds etc for something I can afford.

Thanks

Ozona... blue jean cutoffs, sleeveless t-shirt, ropers and a ball cap.

Comment

Flip flops, shorts and t shirts

Comment

Shorts to heavy coveralls. If you're in a blind it doesn't matter much.

Comment

Originally posted by JuDGe View Post
          Ozona... blue jean cutoffs, sleeveless t-shirt, ropers and a ball cap.
          Don’t listen to him - you’ll be fine in flip-flops and a ball cap

Comment

Been hunting out there a while now. (Terrell Co)
            If you’re in a blind then really not much need for camo, but I use army desert camo as well as King’s western slope and blend in well as best I can tell.
            I hunted a couple years without a box blind and got pretty cold some days. Upgraded to a box and a Buddy heater and it’s almost luxury. The hour ride from camp on my quad to my stand can be brutal some cold mornings, but once I settle in it’s a sit of comfort from sun-up to sun-down.
            I absolutely love it out west. Congrats on the new lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s usually windy as hell out there, most of the time it’s a strong south wind. December it can get pretty cold. I hunted out there for a dozen years or so, and I remember waking up to a lot of 20 degrees mornings later in the season.

Comment

Black clothing if you are in a blind. I dont think there are many trees to climb up into out that way lol.

Comment

If in a box or popup, black shirt, black hat, black face mask (optional) and shorts with snakebooots ..

Winter....black fleece pullover....

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
                    Black clothing if you are in a blind. I dont think there are many trees to climb up into out that way lol.
                    Yup! Black shirt/jacket with my cinch jeans for me. A few trees to hunt, but I done got soft and enjoy a blind too much now. Ha

Comment

if you’re not wearing Kuiu, Sitka or First Lite you might as well just stay home, you will be cold and the deer will see you. And don’t forget your Mystery Ranch backpack so you scan carry your items with you.

Comment

Ah don’t be that guy. If Sitka ain’t for you keep that’s cool but why talk crap?

Yeah in any case I get cold real easy so that was my concern. I haven’t been out there yet so I have to do my recon and see what the blinds look like. I may do some archery too so I’ll have to see what’s what.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          If in a box or popup, black shirt, black hat, black face mask (optional) and shorts with snakebooots ..

Winter....black fleece pullover....
                          This ^ + an electric girdle for those cold mornings...

Comment

That buddy heater is a good idea. That and a thermos of coffee sound like a winner to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                              Ah don’t be that guy. If Sitka ain’t for you keep that’s cool but why talk crap?

Yeah in any case I get cold real easy so that was my concern. I haven’t been out there yet so I have to do my recon and see what the blinds look like. I may do some archery too so I’ll have to see what’s what.

You asked about hunting clothes for west Texas hunting out of blinds so I had you pegged for an uppity guy. Sorry to offend you. It is so easy to do these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X